SASS Wire Forum

So here’s what I did. And what I won’t do.

Utah Bob #35998

With a cool overcast morning goin on, I decided to finish some light tree trimming. Sprayed some weeds first and by the time I got done the clouds blew away and it got hot. Of course. Took the necessary arborist implements in hand and started taking out the low branches and sprouts. Made good progress. But I set the bar real low on “progress”. 
Then this happened. While reaching in to get a stubborn grower on the west oak tree, I felt a sharp pain opin my left forearm. As if had been stabbed with an Asagi! I almost said ouch. A dry, pointy, dead branch had reached out and attacked me with extreme prejudice.
I continued, and after awhile I could feel blood streaming down my arm. But I fingered the shirt would soak it up as I muttered to myself, “I ain’t got time to bleed”. Besides it felt like a small stream.

Note for you young guys. If you live long enough you will become a thin skinned old man. Literally. Bumping the jam when going through a door will cause a bruise, as will a stiff wind, or a loud noise. A pin prick, paper cut or a remark from a sharp pinged individual will result in the appearance of red cells and platelets in a hemorrhagic jamboree.

So, trimming away while disregarding the Grim Reaper who was leaning on the wheelbarrow and making smartass cracks, I mostly finished the task. (as I said, my bar is pretty low).
I took off my shirt and examined the damage. Skin lacerated and punctured, some abrasions and bruises. Did the appropriate first aid. Whiskey later.

Now to the point. 
Here’s what I won’t do:

Photos. Won’t post em.
Nor will I ever post any of past or future injuries received. No broken bones or flayed skin, no emergency room pics, no stitches, scars, drainage tubes, severed arteries, amputations, torn bloodstained clothing, IVs, or tubes down my throat. Not even X-rays or mri pics. I may occasionally post a pic of a Tylenol.:D

You’re welcome. 

UB, glad you didn’t cut yourself too badly.  I agree with you choosing not to post injuries.  The last thing we need to see is a bunch of er pics from the rest of the maniacs on this forum. :D

Gringo

I’ve got some REALLY UGLY pictures of my bad foot!! Utterly disgusting!!  I have pictures taken because I can’t twist my leg or my torso far enough to see the damage.

NOPE!!  I ain’t into the gross out stuff!!

I agree.  My most horrible injury was when I tried to remove my left hand with a chainsaw.  I was very luck.  I got off with no major damage and it was repaired up with two dozen stitches, but Lord was it ugly.

Dr. Shere Khan (his true name) is a great doctor but a lousy seamstress.  The scar is a very visual reminder of my stupidity.

thanks bob - thought i was the only one that had days like that , oh and ill not post photos of that nature either , 

i once though old man bruising was avoidable - i now know its not and it happens way more often recently than i ever thought possible , ive had one or two on my hands in one place or another for the last couple weeks and i cant for the life of me tell you why , oh - they take longer to heal these days as well , 

ive decided to be more careful now - i dont climb ladders when my wife is gone [someone has to call 911] and i only operate the heavy power tools when she is around as well , the small stuff no problem ,  i think my days of solo canoe trips into the boundary waters are over as well , illl still take the boat alone tho - if im gonna die that way so be it [the way id choose to go] and i still drive wherever for as long as i please , 

If you're interested in taking pictures of your injury, but not to post...

https://www.policemag.com/339804/how-to-photograph-injuries

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I have pictures taken because I can’t twist my leg or my torso far enough to see the damage.

The digital camera built into the smartphone is one of the great things of this century. For years I have felt this lumpy scar on the outside of my lower left leg. And it's puzzled me because I don't recall getting hurt there.

I'm at my daughters one day, and I'm wearing a pair of shorts, and I'm idly scratching my leg and I feel this scar. So I call her over, and I put my finger on it and ask, "Can you see this?" (Make sure I was not hallucinating this whole lumpy scar thing)

She said that she could, and I handed her my phone and told her to take a picture of it, and she asked me why and I told her I wanted to see it, but I could not twist my body around to see that particular part of my leg.

It's a varicose vein. And once I saw the picture I immediately knew what it was, but relying entirely on touch --- ??????

But because of that digital camera in my phone, I no longer worry about having lost my mind, since I do not remember a curved cut 3 inches long on my leg. B) Because there ain't one to remember. :P

I had a sun cancer tumor removed from my back recently.
[Not sure how I got it as I rarely go without a shirt or t-shirt whilst outside]
Nurse Ann has been diligent about applying the antibiotic cream as I cannot see or reach it.
Had her take a picture with my phone [Samsung Galaxy A32 5G] so I could see what it looks like.
Not the first time I've had pictures of my injuries.

Bob, not only am I old (or well seasoned), but I've been on blood thinners since my heart attack in 2008.  My skin is thinner than tissues and I bruise til I look like a bad Picasso painting.  I have stashes of Bleed Stop and all sizes of band aids scattered throughout the house and in both cars.  My blood flows like kool aid and it takes an act of congress for it to clog.  I feel your pain.

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’ve got some REALLY UGLY pictures of my bad foot!! Utterly disgusting!!  I have pictures taken because I can’t twist my leg or my torso far enough to see the damage.

NOPE!!  I ain’t into the gross out stuff!!

I don't have any pictures, but I have some really ugly GOOD feet that nobody would ever want to look at.  

Ground black pepper stops a bleed, 

When mom was dealing with thin skin she'd use duct tape to 'keep it together

I use a bit of superglue instead of a stitch or 2

As a sort of aside, I won't climb ladders anymore, at least past the first couple of rungs.

Fifteen years ago a 30-year law partner of mine and a close friend was only a few feet up the stepladder, pruning. He stretched out to reach for that last errant twig (his wife witnessed it all). He lost his balance, fell onto his head on the concrete driveway, and died a few hours later of massive brain injuries. 

He was 65, in great health and fitness. Both of his folks lived into their 90s, and so he likely would have. A huge presence in the community-- there were 1,500 people at his funeral. We all still miss him.

I know of similar incidents. I steer away from ladders since, and my wife quit going out on the roof to clean gutters; something I hadn't been able to talk her out of before....

Archived