SASS Wire Forum

Ah, Bologna!

Subdeacon Joe

Thank you @Subdeacon Joe:)

I still enjoy bologna sandwiches on occasion. One of my very favorite sandwiches is pretty simple. Garlic Bologna on white bread with yellow mustard, French’s yellow mustard. This along with Lay’s potato chips and a glass of milk brings back excellent childhood memories. 
Unfortunately the godless heathens of the west coast do not cater to sophisticates such as myself and encountering garlic bologna is rare, but I actually do find it on occasion at Sprouts Markets. 
Thankfully I am moving back to the land of milk and honey (garlic bologna) soon. ;)

One of my many talents is I can sing the Oscar Mayer bologna jingle and the Oscar Mayer hotdog jingles with equal aplomb. :D

I summed up hot dogs as whatever was left over and ground up to make hot dogs, but yum.

I really like Chorizo. I bought a package to make some fro breakfast. I read the ingredients on the label. Lymph nodes, salivary glands, etc., etc. Stopped eating ti for awhile. But now it's bring it on.

3 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I summed up hot dogs as whatever was left over and ground up to make hot dogs, but yum.

I really like Chorizo. I bought a package to make some fro breakfast. I read the ingredients on the label. Lymph nodes, salivary glands, etc., etc. Stopped eating ti for awhile. But now it's bring it on.

There are lots of recipes that can be enhanced with good Chorizo!

4 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

We've gotten picky about what we eat.  Mostly muscle tissue, and not even all of that... look at the aversion many people have to heart and tongue.  

I'll grant that some organ meats have a very strong iron taste to them, but there's nothing wrong with them.

And things like souse, scrapple, and headcheese, made from odds and ends are quite tasty.

I STILL go for well prepared calves’ liver and onions!!

Beef bologna, Velveeta cheese, plain white bread, a slice of onion, a slice of tomato, black pepper, and a heavy smear of mayo!!

Yowza!!

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I STILL go for well prepared calves’ liver and onions!!

Beef bologna, Velveeta cheese, plain white bread, a slice of onion, a slice of tomato, black pepper, and a heavy smear of mayo!!

Yowza!!

The first, unfortunately, a favorite of Mom's that I detested as a child, and still.  Frequently the last thing I saw before i was sent to my room.

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

The first, unfortunately, a favorite of Mom's that I detested as a child, and still.  Frequently the last thing I saw before i was sent to my room.

Sorry for the laugh, but I recall similar results with green peas, boiled okra, and limp slimy asparagus!!

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Sorry for the laugh, but I recall similar results with green peas, boiled okra, and limp slimy asparagus!!

Beets were the only other one.  She finally gave up on those.  By the time I went away to school I could get the liver down.  Except in traditional Borscht, beets still on a very short "never" list.

21 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Beets were the only other one.  She finally gave up on those.  By the time I went away to school I could get the liver down.  Except in traditional Borscht, beets still on a very short "never" list.

I always liked liver and onions, especially when the onions get dark and crispy.  With catsup, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

Beets I didn't care for until I was about 10.  Dad, for some reason, grew some in the garden that year.  I pulled one up, it was about the size of a walnut, brushed the dirt off of it and tried it.   Oh my!   All kinds of good!  Since then I've been hooked.  Raw, steamed, boiled, baked, roasted, sauted in butter, just about any way.  But I will agree that a good peasant borscht is the best.

At one time I there was chorizo I found that was made by a company two different products. The first was chorizo with the mentioned ingredients.  The second was their gourmet version made with pork shoulder and was much meatier. Really liked it in scrambled eggs.

We like beets boiled or steamed cold out of the refrigerator with seasoned rice vinegar. 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Ah yes, beets. I'd rather eat pissed off fire ants covered in sandspurs than eat beets.

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I despise liver and onions. What a way to ruin onions. 
I wouldn’t eat it. I knew we were having it when we got called to dinner and nothing was on the table. My mom would bring in “made up plates” with liver and onions and mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes with the essence of liver. I wouldn’t touch it. 
Got my butt tanned more than once and sent to bed. 
Once my dad said “You will sit there until you eat it.”

I was and still am a stubborn cuss. 
I sat there. 
Around 11:30 that night my mom woke me and sent me to bed. I was still at the table. 
The next morning I came downstairs and my brothers and sisters were eating cereal. 
My mom told me to sit down. 
She brought me the plate of liver and onions newly reheated in the oven. It was around 8:00.

At 11:30 she came into the dining room and said “You stubborn little (expletive). I swear you are just the hardest headed little boy I have ever seen. Take that plate out and feed it to the dog and go play.”

I won! Never got served liver at home again. ;)

Who in the hell wants to eat a blood filter? 

I will eat heart and tongue but not other organ meats. I’d sooner starve. 

Nice town so I hear. Never been there.

21 minutes ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Our barbecue places offer barbecued bologna sandwiches.  A big thick slice that's been in hot barbecue sauce made into a sandwich. Mmmmmm !

You should try it when they put it in the smoker and baste it for several hours with apple juice and mustard all mixed up!!

Archived