SASS Wire Forum

Dang IRA!

No not the bomb throwing guys. My retirement fund, well one of em. Just got the Janus quarterly report. Ouch! :angry:

Yup.

If you still have working income it's a good time to be be buying into market prices. When the adults take the government back over things will eventually come around again.

You get psyched about the gains, and down about the losses.

My 401 K is over 40 years old. There have been many major ups and downs over the decades, but the steady overall trend has been up.

So I keep telling myself. And it's actually true. I find I care a lot more now that I'm retired.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Yup.

If you still have working income it's a good time to be be buying into market prices. When the adults take the government back over things will eventually come around again.

True. Disappointing to see gains disappear though. Even temporarily. But It’s happened before. Ebb and flow.

ya hey - we all took a hit , dont pull out they will come back but you have to be able to weather the time involved , one day this administration will pass ....no i did not just say anything disparaging of the president , i hope he just goes away , among with the rest of them , 

13 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Yup.

Do you think it is done dropping?

44 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Do you think it is done dropping?

No, I do not although I am certainly not a market expert so this is just my pessimistic guess.  I do think the drop off has slowed and will plateau somewhere soon, that is if something somewhere catastrophic does not occur. My optimism tells me if the market has hit 36,000 or 37,000 it will get there again although it may take some time. How much of that peak market valuation was real versus speculative, how much was investor hype and optimism versus something tangible? No idea, but the peak did set a precedent and global market greed will make sure it happens again. 

As previously mentioned the market has always gone up-and-down, sometimes furiously, but has always continued to trend upward over the long haul which is where most of us are with the market. 

I don't have an IRA, self employed my whole life, got my money in CD's and a savings account. I still work part time at 75. I get SS but it goes right in my savings and I don't touch it. My part time job keeps all my bills paid. No house payment, no car payment, I'm doing okay.

You only lose if you sell.
A big recession does offer opportunities.

One opportunity is moving drastically devalued stocks from your IRA to your cash account.
Unlike an RMD, this distribution is priced at the closing value on the day of transfer.

If you have stocks that are down 50% or more, this is the ideal time to distribute them to your cash account
Your tax burden is down by 50% as well.
We all know the taxes will get ever higher in the future.

I am doing the above this year instead of an RMD.

It’s too easy to look it up online, I try not to . I went into some pretty safe investments before the installation of Brandon and I’m still taking a beating. But as others have said it’s a great time to buy and you haven’t lost if you haven’t sold . Im in it for the long term. Whether the storm brothers 

Every time the market tanked, I backed up the truck and shoveled in the bargains in my selected stocks.
I'm at the age now, where I no longer buy the bargains, but want to enjoy the proceeds.
I can either spend it on my wife and me, or leave it to the kids.

I'm waiting for the Big Crash when the recession hits full force, then distribute my IRA to my cash account with less taxes.

Archived