SASS Wire Forum

Yesterday my wife surprised me and said " We need to start planning for next year, I want to go back to Alaska". We spent a month there in 2019 and realized we had only scratched the surface of seeing it. We want to see Kodiak, Ketchikan, Denali and lots of places we missed. Plan on  3 weeks to a month. We will do some fishing for sure.

Let the planning begin!

Don't miss Saxman Village outside Ketchikan.

We never missed it on our trips.

2013-07-05 14.19.18.jpg

2013-07-05 14.19.48.jpg

30 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life,

Don't forget the repellent!

Snip-it_1657398530523.jpg.47a65d4bdf58f5fcd660a401f8ece667.jpg

I understand those are just the babies.  From what I hear they had an adult land at night at Eilasin AFB, and they filled it full of 20,000 gallons of JP-7 before they figured out it wasn't a B-1b swing wing bomber! :rolleyes:

There is a lot to be said for spending an extended time in a new place.
We thought about spending a summer in a different place every year.
Family and social ties prevent this, but it is an interesting thought.

Yep. Ran out of clams, halibut and salmon about 6 months after we got home. Ready to stock the freezer again. Alaska is awesome country. Yep there are bothersome insects, but use lots of spray and you can manage them. The ones that really bother you are the black flies. Luckily they are not everywhere. Also when you get out on the ocean fishing, no bugs!

5 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Yep. Ran out of clams, halibut and salmon about 6 months after we got home. Ready to stock the freezer again. Alaska is awesome country. Yep there are bothersome insects, but use lots of spray and you can manage them. The ones that really bother you are the black flies. Luckily they are not everywhere. Also when you get out on the ocean fishing, no bugs!

Never been to Alaska, but in the BWCA Black Flies are a plague and a head net makes a world of difference.

2 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

We have already booked with our outfitter in South Africa for 2023.

Duffield

I have an elk hunting trip booked for 1993 too. What the hell....must have had a brain fart!   2023 is it!

Archived