SASS Wire Forum

WTB 44 Russian Brass

50 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Starline is showing it available to order. If you are looking for a few pieces, I can help.

Tully 

I did see that, just figured I would see if anyone had a batch they longer needed.

It may be what I end up doing... But who knows.

Thanks though Tully,. Appreciate the response.

M.A.T.

3 minutes ago, Parson John Tourmann, #67768 said:

After shooting both, its a good call ta go Russian

Parson

I see a lot of people that do just that.  But curious as to why?  Isn't the 44 Colt just slightly longer?  But the loads are the same?

Starline has had .44 Russian available to order for two years now. Production and delivery is another thing entirely. I’m over two years now since I placed an order for them and still no delivery. 

For what it’s worth, I finally gave up on the 44 Russian back order and bought 44 Colt to shoot out of my open top. I have been pleased with the 44 Colt load. Of course, my main match revolvers are 45s so I may not be as fussy as some.

I have had 44 russian on order with Starline for a full year now.
I keep checking in, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
I gave up and cancelled.

Find your brass privately... Starline is on chronic back order for this.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I have had 44 russian on order with Starline for a full year now.
I keep checking in, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
I gave up and cancelled.

Find your brass privately... Starline is on chronic back order for this.

Herein lies the issue; I believe they won’t run a batch of it until the orders hit some number. Yet they wait so long to do this people get frustrated and cancel their orders which just moves the date back again. I wish they’d just do a run and then keep in stock if need be. You’d think after a certain period of time they’d want to serve all their customers not just those interested in the more common calibers. 

There can be any number of valid business reasons that I can’t even guess.  I’m a star line fan but a year is too long to wait.  I have a modest stock already and figure these will last for several reloading cycles.

Hi MAT:

I have 2 boxes of 50 44 caliber “4-in 1” empties.

They are (were) made by Ten-X Ammunition.

They are the size of a 44 Russian, and can be fired in a 44 Russian, 44 Colt, 44 Special, or 44 Magnum revolver, hence the name.

If you want them, I’ll ship ‘em to ya for $20.

Actually, there were 99 of them, so I added a Russian to make it 100

thanks

—Dawg

7 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Hi MAT:

They are the size of a 44 Russian, and can be fired in a 44 Russian, 44 Colt, 44 Special, or 44 Magnum revolver, hence the name.

thanks

—Dawg

Thanks Pard, but think I will pass on those.  All though I am kinda intrigued... Never heard of a 4 in 1 like that. I appreciate the offer though.

M.A.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Since some pards were kind enough to give me some .357 Max brass to mess around with in the roller I have for sale, I will give you same number of .44 Russian cases, shipping included.  I have way more than I will ever need.  PM on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Pard

Just a thot, possibly for action in the future. I have two revolvers in 44 Russian. Except for a small batch of Fiocchi headstamped brass, all of my brass for them is from trimmed-down 44 Special brass. The guy from whom I bot the S&W pistol had a lathe and had trimmed a mess of 44 Special to correct 44 Russian length. It works fine.

Have a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Mag. As 44 Mag brass and/or 44 Special brass develops small neck splits, I trim it down to 44 Russian length and get several more uses from them.

It can be done individually in a case trimmer but it’s a “bear”. Luckily I have a buddy with a lathe.

Hope your post will result in acquisition of genuine 44 Russian brass but hope the above info might come in handy.

Side note: have 4 revolvers in 45 Colt. As that brass develops small neck splits, I trim it to 45 Schofield length and get several more reloadings from it. Oh, I can afford new brass easily enough but Depression-raised Grandparents taught me to be thrifty and not to discard that which can be repurposed.

Adios 

Fort Reno Kid 

On 7/11/2022 at 1:21 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Hi MAT:

thanks

—Dawg

Dawg,

If you still have these I would like to buy them. Ken (Ten-X) was a good friend and a great supporter of SASS. 

Ethan

Archived