SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Cattleman 1873 Hammer Spring

My guess is around 40-45 ounces. I can measure one if you need to know.

RR

No need Roger. Thanks! I saw a video on changing out the hammer spring and replacing the bolt spring, which I just had to do. They talk about changing the hammer spring to a lighter spring, but never say what the stock spring weight is to start with.

High Spade ...

My curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see if my memory was correct. Here's a photo of three springs for the Uberti (and other) SAAs. The one on the left is the typical spring found in original Colt SAAs and in most Uberti SAAs. It delivers a hammer spring tension of 32 ounces (not 40-45 ounces as I previously stated). The two aftermarket springs on the right provide lighter tensions; the middle one provides 22 ounces and the slotted one is 24 ounces. Of course, adjustments can be made to each of these springs to lighten their tension. I use a modified spring like the center one and have them set to 20 ounces. You can go lighter but you fall into the risk of light firing pin strikes. (I know a few SAA shooters who have hammers set to 16-18 ounces.) And, much has to do with the type of primers you are using.

RR

SAA springs.jpg

20 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

High Spade ...

My curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see if my memory was correct. Here's a photo of three springs for the Uberti (and other) SAAs. The one on the left is the typical spring found in original Colt SAAs and in most Uberti SAAs. It delivers a hammer spring tension of 32 ounces (not 40-45 ounces as I previously stated). The two aftermarket springs on the right provide lighter tensions; the middle one provides 22 ounces and the slotted one is 24 ounces. Of course, adjustments can be made to each of these springs to lighten their tension. I use a modified spring like the center one and have them set to 20 ounces. You can go lighter but you fall into the risk of light firing pin strikes. (I know a few SAA shooters who have hammers set to 16-18 ounces.) And, much has to do with the type of primers you are using.

RR

SAA springs.jpg

Thank you Roger! I use CCI primers in my loads. I'd like to reduce the hammer spring tension, but I don't want to put springs in that will require me to use soft primers. You told me what I needed to know. Thank you kindly!!

Hi Spade...

Both of those aftermarket springs, or any springs that deliver a hammer pull of  20-22 ounces will detonate CCI primers.

The springs are available from several sources, but I know that VTI Gunparts in Connecticut carries them.

RR

Current CCI primers are softer than those of old.  Maybe not Federal soft but pretty easy to set off.  I've been using CCI small rifle primers for the last couple months with lighter springs and no problems.  (YMMV of course)

5 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Where did you get hammer spring #2? Thanks!

#20 - U0000020T Improved & Lighter Mainspring   + $15.00

https://taylorsfirearms.com/catalog/product/view/id/3392/s/uberti-1873-cattleman-new-model-frame-parts/category/464/

A thin leather washer between the frame and the end of the spring will lighten the existing spring and allow some adjustment. Punch the screw hole out and you have it.

Imis 

Archived