SASS Wire Forum

Padres City Connect Uniform

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If that team was from San Francisco it would make sense, but Dago?

Exactly my thought.  However:

The color scheme pays tribute to the vibrant landscape of San Diego and Baja California, the ocean and pink and yellow sunsets.

A slogan said by third baseman Manny Machado in the promotional video was, “Two cities, two cultures, one team,” showing love to Padres supporters south of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Colorado also has ugly ones but not that bad. Arizona has throwback Serpentes uniforms on tonight. I don’t mind them. They look fine, Very retro.

The whole thing is just to put more stuff in the marketplace for fans to spend money on. 160 bucks for the jerseys. :rolleyes:

9283B936-C200-45DC-A842-85684A96801C.jpeg

6E667513-B057-4D4F-A050-8A6A06C5218F.jpeg

I like most of the throwback uniforms.

I saw the Rockies' City Connect uniform the day they were introduced.  Not bad.  Good colors and the design makes sense.

I look at these Padre uniform and think of Arizona Iced Tea cans.  Not San Diego Sunsets.

I have been watching on a regular basis this year. Made it through one inning tonight. Couldn't take looking at those stupid looking uniforms any longer than that.

I have to agree!  Those Padres uniforms are ugly!!

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Looks kinda like a '50's Bowling Shgirt!

Or a grade school girls softball uniform!

Pastels are lovely. Some of my favorite artists are very skilled in the presentation of them.

In our society they are generally associated with peace, gentleness, femininity, and tranquil thoughts. 
Using them for athletic uniforms is, at best, nonsensical in my humble opinion. At worst, downright stupid. 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I could see those colors on a Miami Team in a design reminiscent of the Art Deco of the 50s. San Diego no way.

The Marlins tried that already a couple of years ago when they became Miami instead of Florida. Art Deco was actually from the 20s-30s when most of the buildings were constructed on Miami Beach. They have since discarded the look. They were not anywhere near as bad as the San Diego unis!

59DA7767-0F98-4A27-A352-8448717B6992.webp

On 7/8/2022 at 11:09 PM, Alpo said:

If that team was from San Francisco it would make sense, but Dago?

You mean Diego!!

Dago is a derogatory term for Italians. Use that term in an Italian neighborhood and you may not make it home!:P

Yea those uniforms! Wow! Horrible!!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You mean Diego!!

Dago is a derogatory term for Italians. Use that term in an Italian neighborhood and you may not make it home!:P

Yea those uniforms! Wow! Horrible!!

I spent my first 20 years and 11 months living in North Sandy Eggo County and Dago was not uncommon slang for the City of San Diego.

A friend of my youngest brother (well, all of us, really) was in a local band.  This was early '70s well before political correctness and the willingness to be offended at everything set in. He was 6th or 7th generation California (his dad hated it if people asked if he was Mexican) and had a nickname of "Jap," I have no idea why, a couple of Portuguee (Don't call me Portuguese!), and a couple of guys of Italian descent recorded an album of songs about cities in San Diego County one of which was titled "I'm A Dago From Diego." The refrain was "Guinea Guinea, Wop Wop." The local chapter of Sons of Italy loved it.

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

North Sandy Eggo County

Reading that to myself didn't really make sense. Reading it aloud, so I could hear what I was reading - ohhhh, yeah, okay. :D

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Reading that to myself didn't really make sense. Reading it aloud, so I could hear what I was reading - ohhhh, yeah, okay. :D

:lol:

Yeah, I hadn't realized how confusing that might be to furr'ners.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I spent my first 20 years and 11 months living in North Sandy Eggo County and Dago was not uncommon slang for the City of San Diego.

A friend of my youngest brother (well, all of us, really) was in a local band.  This was early '70s well before political correctness and the willingness to be offended at everything set in. He was 6th or 7th generation California (his dad hated it if people asked if he was Mexican) and had a nickname of "Jap," I have no idea why, a couple of Portuguee (Don't call me Portuguese!), and a couple of guys of Italian descent recorded an album of songs about cities in San Diego County one of which was titled "I'm A Dago From Diego." The refrain was "Guinea Guinea, Wop Wop." The local chapter of Sons of Italy loved it.

There’s a lot of Italians that aren’t offended by any of those terms including me (I’m Italian) if it’s used in a friendly comical way but if it’s used in a mean or derogatory way lots of Italians would get very angry. It’s all in how it’s used. 

One of the local talk show hosts here was Italian and if you called in his show and said “ Mega Dagos” it meant you agreed with him :lol:

Archived