SASS Wire Forum

Lace-up Cowboy Boots

John E. Law

Well after 15 years my Twisted X Lacer cowboy boots have finally given up and sadly they no longer make this style of boot. 

The only place that I have been able to find similar styles in my size is Shepler's.  I was looking at the Ariat's and Justin's but they had a brand called Cody James.

Anyone have any experience with this brand??

JEL

9.5/10.

You going to WAC tomorrow??

JEL

42 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

9.5/10.

You going to WAC tomorrow??

JEL

Yep, I'll be there. I'll bring some Ariats...I have both of your sizes. Try them on, if they fit...you must acquit...wait, wrong line...if they fit, you can have 'em.

Cool thanks. 

I'll see you in the AM

I have had three pairs of Ariat, ended up tossing them.  Maybe I'm just too fussy, but I've been wearing Western boots most of my life and still have a couple of pairs that go back decades.  You get what you pay for!

Not anymore you don't get what you pay for. That saying is very antiquated and obsolete since quality is nothing what it used to be with any comapany.

Don't get too attached to the Ariats as their "Frontier Lacer" has been discontinued (still show the brown version as available - but my understanding is that just means Ariat still has some inventory)

They were my go to boot for the last 20 years of cowboy action and motorcycle and they were nice enough to kill it off - still have a few lace up models but more modern soles and etc. and no idea if the fit is the same.

My daughter swears by the Justin lacers - but I have never owned a pair.

Cody James is, I believe, a house brand for Boot Barn and are likely to have (over time) been made by more than one company - so variations in fit and quality would not be unexpected.

Between day to day (not everyday) wear, motorcycle and cowboy - I go thru a pair of my Ariats every 3-4 years (I also am notorious for abuse and neglect of my boots).

I just found a pair of black Ariat Frontier Lacers on Ebay to ensure that between my current pair and the ordered pair -I should be ok for a few more years.

I really like my Ariats.  No idea how long I've had them, but it's been well over a decade.  They do need replacing.  Wearing out and the soles are starting to delaminate.  But I sure as heck got my money out of 'em.

If those Ariats don't work out for you, take a look at Double H Packers. One of the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever owned.

I've been very happy with my Justin work boots.  I spent a bit extra for the Gore Tex lining.  I wear the Justin's more than any other shoe, year round.  In 10+ years I have replaced one of the shoe lace hooks and had the boots re-soled once.

I also encourage everyone who has a favorite pair of boots to see if a cobbler can re-sole or repair them.

15 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Don't get too attached to the Ariats as their "Frontier Lacer" has been discontinued (still show the brown version as available - but my understanding is that just means Ariat still has some inventory)

They were my go to boot for the last 20 years of cowboy action and motorcycle and they were nice enough to kill it off - still have a few lace up models but more modern soles and etc. and no idea if the fit is the same.

My daughter swears by the Justin lacers - but I have never owned a pair.

Cody James is, I believe, a house brand for Boot Barn and are likely to have (over time) been made by more than one company - so variations in fit and quality would not be unexpected.

Between day to day (not everyday) wear, motorcycle and cowboy - I go thru a pair of my Ariats every 3-4 years (I also am notorious for abuse and neglect of my boots).

I just found a pair of black Ariat Frontier Lacers on Ebay to ensure that between my current pair and the ordered pair -I should be ok for a few more years.

I still have 2 pair left, both lacers. One is more of a work boot type boot and the other is more of a roper type. Size 10 E's, if you would like either, pay shipping and they're yours.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I still have 2 pair left, both lacers. One is more of a work boot type boot and the other is more of a roper type. Size 10 E's, if you would like either, pay shipping and they're yours.

I wear 12's so while I appreciate the offer - I am afraid my toes would stick out the front.  :D

Cypress Sun, I would be glad to pay shipping on the roper pair. Up until recently I've worn a 9 1/2, but the older I get the larger my feet seem to get.

Please message me with your address and how much you want  to ship to Arizona.

Thank you,

Johnny Meadows

8 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Cypress Sun, I would be glad to pay shipping on the roper pair. Up until recently I've worn a 9 1/2, but the older I get the larger my feet seem to get.

Please message me with your address and how much you want  to ship to Arizona.

Thank you,

Johnny Meadows

I'll send you a PM

On 7/8/2022 at 9:10 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

I really like my Ariats.  No idea how long I've had them, but it's been well over a decade.  They do need replacing.  Wearing out and the soles are starting to delaminate.  But I sure as heck got my money out of 'em.

FYI to all you Ariat boot owners. A shop named NuShoe https://nushoe.com/ does an excellent job in renewing Ariat boots. They did their magic on a pair of boots I've worn for over 14 yrs, my favorite CAS footwear. Cost for mine was $80, came back like almost new but with all the breakin still there.

We wear "Packers" in Idaho and Montana. I buy mine from White's in Spokane, Washington.

There are also manufacturers in.Montana.

My riding boots are from Halls. I had them refurbished once when they were still around.

This Friday and Saturday, I became the Idaho El Rey champion. That pretty well dates me.

:-)

Jeez; you guys with your tiny l'il feet! ;-)  I've had good luck with both Justins and Ariats, although they do wear out a bit faster than the ones I used to wear every day, in my wild and mis-spent youth...

Cheers,

FJT

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wearing the White's packers for over twenty years, the same pair.  They last a long time when you only wear them one day a month.  I have been wearing them more these days.

Archived