SASS Wire Forum

Opposite of Josey Wales

We've all at least read about the unofficial "Josey Wales" category that some clubs allow for on occasion where you replace the rifle with two more pistols, and sometimes the shotgun as well.   I've never had a chance to shoot it, but it sounds like a hoot.

But what about something that goes in the other direction?   That is to say, replace the the pistols with either another rifle, or even 2 rifles loaded with 5 rounds each.  You could also perhaps replace the shotgun targets with a rifle as well.  (If necessary for safety reasons, alternate targets could be used, especially of the "shotgun rifle" were to be something like an 86 or a 94.)

What would such an unofficial category be called?   The Rifleman?  Lucas McCain?  Opposite of Josey Wales?  (Well, that's kinda silly...)  Ringo Kid?  (Wayne only used a rifle in the movie, no pistols, IF I recall correctly.  Gotta get a copy and check!)  Something else?

Just a random thought.

In Oregon we have a match that is called 'True Grit" and you shoot double of everything, 4 pistols, 2 rifles and lots of shot gun!!  It is a Hoot!!!  And I forgot, lots of moving targets also!!!  :)

We have been offering a "Rifleman" category once a year at a monthly match as an option. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it is fun once in awhile. To make it work as I designed it, the stages have to use the same number of rifle targets and pistol targets.  The rifle targets also have to positioned so they can be engaged from where the pistols are shot.

The rules I developed for it are as follows:

Rifleman Category

PISTOLS:
-No Pistols used.

RIFLE:

-Two Rifles Required:  (1)-for “pistol” targets (rifle distance), (1)-for rifle targets. Both loaded with 10-rnds.

-The close pistol targets are not used by the Rifleman competitors.  Instead, the “pistol” sequence is shot at the rifle targets using the same order as the pistol shooters.  The “rifle” sequence is the same for everyone.

-The Rifle used for “pistol” targets starts staged at the pistol position or in hand, depending on individual stage directions.

-The two Rifles must be SASS legal pistol caliber main match rifles.

SHOTGUN:

-Any SASS legal shotgun

TRR has a club-level Rifleman Category:  shotgun and two rifles, one used on rifle targets and another on pistol targets

developed from a medical need for several of our members

hardest part is the shooter needing help getting all the long guns to and from the firing line.

39 minutes ago, Caladisi kid said:

In Oregon we have a match that is called 'True Grit" and you shoot double of everything, 4 pistols, 2 rifles and lots of shot gun!!  It is a Hoot!!!  And I forgot, lots of moving targets also!!!  :)

A couple of clubs near me have done that.   They call it Iron Man.   Usually 3 stages for the same amount of shooting as normal six stage match.   And yes, it's a hoot!

True Grit?   Good name for it.   Do you get a bonus for using a large loop 92 for at least one of the rifles?  :)

•  
  •  
  • A couple of clubs near me have done that.   They call it Iron Man.   Usually 3 stages for the same amount of shooting as normal six stage match.   And yes, it's a hoot!

True Grit?   Good name for it.   Do you get a bonus for using a large loop 92 for at least one of the rifles? 

Did I forget to mention this is a 2 day match with five stages per day, 10 total!!!!  Shoot what ya brung!!   :)

•  

9 minutes ago, Caladisi kid said:
  •  
  •  
  • A couple of clubs near me have done that.   They call it Iron Man.   Usually 3 stages for the same amount of shooting as normal six stage match.   And yes, it's a hoot!

True Grit?   Good name for it.   Do you get a bonus for using a large loop 92 for at least one of the rifles? 

Did I forget to mention this is a 2 day match with five stages per day, 10 total!!!!  Shoot what ya brung!!   :)

•  

Yes, you did forget to mention that.   Still sounds like fun.  :)

Bring some extra brass pickers along.  Every case and hull goes onto the ground. Like Wild Bunch matches, they are fun but take more posse workers to run them smoothly. 

Sounds like fun but, a lot of work setting up multiple pistol, rifle and shotgun targets for a few shooting one category.

A category with just multiple rifles would have to be Jack Beauregard.

"Just think of it, 150 pure bred sons of bxxches on horseback and you facing 'em alone. You'll be written up in all the history books."

My Name is Nobody, 1973 starring Henry Fonda and Terence HIll.

Shooting pistol  targets with a rifle gives an advantage so maybe if you score this separately it would be okay..^_^

To add onto this line of thought, is there a category where you can follow the regular cowboy stage set up, but use wild bunch guns?

Thinking about ammo shortages and smaller posses in some areas right now. Regular wild bunch and regular sass matches on thier own are amazing.  Combined as a "wild cowboy" where pistol is just two mags of 5 rounds? 

It could bring more peeps together in smaller areas. 

10 hours ago, Little Bear Torsen said:

To add onto this line of thought, is there a category where you can follow the regular cowboy stage set up, but use wild bunch guns?

Thinking about ammo shortages and smaller posses in some areas right now. Regular wild bunch and regular sass matches on thier own are amazing.  Combined as a "wild cowboy" where pistol is just two mags of 5 rounds? 

We allow Wild Bunch at our monthly shoots at Firelands Peacemakers but we score them separately as well as .22 shooters.

13 hours ago, Little Bear Torsen said:

You mean how Wild Bunch was before SASS created its rules?   A lot of clubs used to do that, and you weren't limited to the 1911.   The basic general rule was any pistol/rifle/shotgun that was made in or before 1918.   Things like M1917 revolvers and Lugers were not uncommon, and they could be shot singly or in pairs, reloading as needed.

I miss that...

Archived