SASS Wire Forum

Faux ivory grips from Ruger?

Mezcal Charlie

I did a light surface sand then used the tea.  Not as yellow as the Duke's, but a bit more old ivory looking. Haven't tried leather stain, if I did I would use Fiebings, I have had great performance with their products on all sorts of leather items, even previously finished and dyed.

Depending on the grip material, the results vary from nothing to a little for tea/ coffee.

Leather dye results aren't much different.

I have had mixed results with both and combination.

Not all stains are permanent, some eventually rub off with use.

It is all trial by error.

Good Luck.

I use Fiebing's leather dye.  The dye comes in various colors.  I mix "yellow" and "medium brown" to get the shade I want.  Experiment on scrap material, or the back side of your grips to get the mixture as desired.  Once applied, the color wears very well.  Never had to re-dye a pair of grips yet and I have several pair I've used a number of years.  Works very well for me.

TR

As Sawhorse Kid says, it may depend on the material (porous or not).  I used Feibings brown leather dye on this pair of Ajax grips long ago.  It took some time to get the look I wanted.  Taking it off with alcohol and starting over was needed a few times but was pretty easy.  Anyway, the color rubs off with use and there is very little color on the grip now, though I could re-dye them if I wanted.  I just don't shoot this gun much any more.

ColtNRA.JPG

Archived