SASS Wire Forum

The Swiss had a problem

Why were the holes in Swiss Cheese getting smaller? Holes in cheeses is iconic, synonymous with Switzerland. They commissioned a study. It turns out that the holes were caused by hay debris in the milk, as the cheese aged, the microbes converted the debris to CO2. In recent years, as sanitation improved the holes got smaller.

Now they add sanitized debris to the milk that will be made into cheese.

Given what I know about the Swiss obsession with accuracy, I would not be surprised if there is a govt spec for the size of the debris and the resulting holes.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Why were the holes in Swiss Cheese getting smaller? Holes in cheeses is iconic, synonymous with Switzerland. They commissioned a study. It turns out that the holes were caused by hay debris in the milk, as the cheese aged, the microbes converted the debris to CO2. In recent years, as sanitation improved the holes got smaller.

Now they add sanitized debris to the milk that will be made into cheese.

Given what I know about the Swiss obsession with accuracy, I would not be surprised if there is a govt spec for the size of the debris and the resulting holes.

NO DOUBT!!

Funny story, even back in the early '50's after the war, sanitation had caught up, and even the best Swiss cheese had less holes.  Customers in a family owned store did not want swiss if it didn't have holes.  The answer was a melon ball tool and a touch of butter.  No foul since it was quality swiss and was sold by weight.

Edit! A while back I read an article on the negative effects of uber sanitation on some of the best and famous single malt whisky from Scotland.

So…the old adage about “Do you know what’s in those hot dogs?” is all okay as long as it not about hot dogs…

:P

Uber sanitation is a major contributor to our susceptibility to crap like COVID!! 

We have taken germ phobia to such extreme levels that our children and younger adults have become vulnerable to bacteria, viruses, and other infectious pathogens that haven’t been a problem for decades, in some cases, centuries!!

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So…the old adage about “Do you know what’s in those hot dogs?” is all okay as long as it not about hot dogs…

:P

A song when I was a child, frequently sung.

Dunderbeck Lyrics

DUNDERBECK

G - D7 G / G - A7 D/ C G Am D7 / G - D7 G

There was a man named Dunderbeck, invented a machine,
For grinding things to sausage meat and it was run by steam.
Now kitchen cats and long-tailed rats will never more be seen,
They'll all be ground to sausage meat in Dunderbeck's machine.

Oh Dunderbeck, oh Dunderbeck, how could you be so mean
To ever have invented the sausage meat machine?
Now long tailed rats and pussy cats will never more be seen,

One day a little fat boy came walking in the store.
He bought a pound of sausage and laid them on the floor.
Then he began to whistle, he whistled up a tune,
The sausages, they jumped, they barked, they danced 'round the room.
CHORUS

On day the thing got busted, the darn thing wouldn't go,
And Dunderbeck, he crawled inside to see what made it so.
His wife, she had a nightmare, she was walking in her sleep
She gave a yank and turned the crank and Dunderbeck was meat.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/u/unknownlyrics/dunderbecklyrics.html

5 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

A song when I was a child, frequently sung.

Dunderbeck Lyrics

DUNDERBECK

G - D7 G / G - A7 D/ C G Am D7 / G - D7 G

There was a man named Dunderbeck, invented a machine,
For grinding things to sausage meat and it was run by steam.
Now kitchen cats and long-tailed rats will never more be seen,

Oh Dunderbeck, oh Dunderbeck, how could you be so mean
To ever have invented the sausage meat machine?
Now long tailed rats and pussy cats will never more be seen,

One day a little fat boy came walking in the store.
He bought a pound of sausage and laid them on the floor.
Then he began to whistle, he whistled up a tune,
The sausages, they jumped, they barked, they danced 'round the room.
CHORUS

On day the thing got busted, the darn thing wouldn't go,
And Dunderbeck, he crawled inside to see what made it so.
His wife, she had a nightmare, she was walking in her sleep
She gave a yank and turned the crank and Dunderbeck was meat.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/u/unknownlyrics/dunderbecklyrics.html

...... ever been in the back of a butcher shop ?

That song ain't all that far from the truth ...........   :o

8 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... ever been in the back of a butcher shop ?

That song ain't all that far from the truth ...........   :o

worse. As a young, English speaking, part-time worker, I was tasked with filling in in many jobs in a slaughterhouse. Nuff said.

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Of course, there is a hole size spec from the Swiss Federal Office of Agriculture!! :D

Emmentaler_1.JPG.65cba3881e1bbda3358436e6396ac8c5.JPG

BUT, let me say that what you buy as "Swiss Cheese" in the USA has nothing (really nothing) to do with actual cheese from Switzerland, because we forgot to trademark it... :rolleyes: So, American Swiss Cheese is just any cheese(like matter) with holes.

If you talk about cheese with holes in Switzerland you probably mean "Emmentaler", cheese from the beautiful Emmental (the river Emme valley). And for Emmentaler, there is said detailed specification for ingredients, production, storage size, weight etc., and also for the size of the holes:

Emmentaler_2.JPG.c964e4955257a622db96f31d09d6a3f1.JPG

"Uniform, clean, round to oval holes, most of them 2 to 4 cm, can contain water and salt deposit"

Btw, my wild guess is that most of you wouldn't like real Emmentaler due to its taste  :P

4 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Of course, there is a hole size spec from the Swiss Federal Office of Agriculture!! :D

BUT, let me say that what you buy as "Swiss Cheese" in the USA has nothing (really nothing) to do with actual cheese from Switzerland, because we forgot to trademark it... :rolleyes: So, American Swiss Cheese is just any cheese(like matter) with holes.

If you talk about cheese with holes in Switzerland you probably mean "Emmentaler", cheese from the beautiful Emmental (the river Emme valley). And for Emmentaler, there is said detailed specification for ingredients, production, storage size, weight etc., and also for the size of the holes:

"Uniform, clean, round to oval holes, most of them 2 to 4 cm, can contain water and salt deposit"

Btw, my wild guess is that most of you wouldn't like real Emmentaler due to its taste  :P

The family having a store, and being relatively recently from Europe, the cheeses and wurst were imported or to that standard.  The Swiss came in large (at least to me as a child) wheels that were cut first with a cheese wire.

Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge, MA, is a cheese specialty shop. Once a month they have an after hours event where their cheese monger talks about cheeses and wines. They follow up with a tour of the cheese cellar. Yes, wines and cheeses are served. (And sold.)

8 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

I pay a premium for Emmentaler because I can tell the difference, thanks to a German language professor (Herr Doktor Professor Helmut Scneider) in college.  Every Friday his wife, Frau Schneider, brought in little sandwiches and there was always Emmentaler on the tray.

19 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Uber sanitation is a major contributor to our susceptibility to crap like COVID!! 

We have taken germ phobia to such extreme levels that our children and younger adults have become vulnerable to bacteria, viruses, and other infectious pathogens that haven’t been a problem for decades, in some cases, centuries!!

True, but on the flip side I heard stories of hospitals wiping walls down with Lysol and patients didn’t share rooms or get pushed into the halls. Things have changed. Seems now your as likely to die of a staph infection after a surgery/procedure as anything else.

Archived