SASS Wire Forum

Need new boots

My Timberland hikers are worn out! Any recommendations for a replacement? There have been many innovations since I got these years ago.
I need lightweight with decent ankle support.

I do not need work boots.

Men's KEEN Utility 6" Composite Toe WP Work Boot (U.S.A. Built) 1021467

I have bad feet, plantar fasciitis in both feet. They wear like slippers.somewhat pricey but they last forever. Also check out Belleville and Danner for quality boots. Trust the bad feet guys, I spare no expense on my feet. That's why it's so darn hard to find cowboy boots for my feet.

It depends what you plan to do in them. 

The men's Keen 6" boots mentioned above are great hikers and general wear boots -- very comfortable. 

For my logging work, I wouldn't be without my Whites steel shanks, with spikes.  VERY heavy, VERY pricey (at $565), but VERY comfortable, supportive, snakeproof, and have a no BS lifetime guarantee.   I've worn out two replacement pairs and they just keep replacing them w/ no questions asked.   Danners are OK too--cheaper (at $225), but good boots, albeit without the guarantee.  

15 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Merrill

Keen

Yep! I loved Keen Targhee hikers. Can’t wear them any longer due to foot issues from surgeries. But these were great. 
I will say the ankle support was lacking so if that’s important go with what @Dusty Devil Daleans @ORNERY OAFsaid. A few of the guys at work wore those Keens all the time and they loved them. 

18 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It depends what you plan to do in them. 

Hike. No logging for sure. ;)

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I wear only lace up boots.

For the money, Merrill’s are tough to beat, other than the insoles wear out in about 8/9 months.

I wear five brands of boots. My Merrill’s crapped out last year after 1 1/2 year of daily wear and I made the mistake of buying Timberlands (on sale).

As of now.

Keen 8” composite toe utility boot. It’s the most comfortable safety toe boot for. A lot of folks sold on Thorogood and Redwing. Not me.

I have a pair of Rocky boots Elk hunters. They are ok. Excellent for hiking and hunting but short of buying a pair of Kenetreks, I would have been better off in a pair of Irish Setter Elk Stalkers or Danner. They are fine for me though. But not enough insulation in the toe box.

I have a pair of Timberlands 6” hikers  I bought in 2021. They are going n no way in the same league as Timberlands 5-10 years ago. Soles and insoles don’t hold up. I replaced the insoles with the extra thick Georgia Boot Amp insoles and that is better, but the soles themselves and the rest of the boot is marginal Chinese made crap.

My most comfortable pair of boots, by far, are Georgia Boots Athens 8” with the Amp insole.

I also have a pair of Wolverine 8” work boots that are very nice and light and nearly as comfortable as my Keens but make my feet sweat so bad they smell like cat pee. The insoles will be replaced with extra thick Georgia Boot AMP insoles.

For the money if a 6” day to day hiker is what you seek, Merril Moab (or any of the others) No question.
Then a Keen Targhee. The Georgia boot hikers are a good too, the AMP insoles beat out the Merril and Keen.

Dont forget Rockports.

I generally where 8” boots now due to climbing ladders and such all day. My Timberland are 6” and generally I don’t wear to work anymore.. After these play out, I doubt I’ll go back to a 6” again, but that’s just me.

Sierra trading post (sierra.com) online for blemishes. Heck I’ve seen Crispis on there for $200. Asolos are on there now at half the normal $200-250.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

For me, the logging is still a great deal of enjoyment and very good boots are prerequisite.

At 72, almost 73, there's something about felling a massive bug-killed pine, then walking down the trunk limbing branches in spiked boots   with a long chainsaw, then  yarding/decking the logs with heavy equipment, that let's me forget my age for a time.  Anything that let's me forget my age these days is welcome--at least until the next morning!

And for me, there's something addictive about  milling a tall stack of fresh boards out of a big log section, then building something with them.   

Anyone who has milled their own or commercial lumber will so attest.   It's a lot of physical work coupled with a great deal of satisfaction.   The product easily pays for the expensive boots. 

Just home from Boy Scout camp, where I wore my Vasque boots.  Comfortable, cool, lightweight, good support, and not expensive; I've logged (no pun intended!) many, many miles in these on hikes, backpacking trips, and fishing and hunting forays.  Originally made by Red Wing:

81jVWDQlLHS._AC_UX575_.jpg

I doubt they'll last forever, but after six or seven years mine still have a LOT of miles left, and at prices from just  under a hundred to about a hundred fifty bucks they won't break the bank.  I got mine at REI, but heck... even Amazon has 'em.  

This spring I bought a pair of Danner Recurve boots and am delighted with them.  They are light and give my ankles good support.

Duffield

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

This spring I bought a pair of Danner Recurve boots and am delighted with them.  They are light and give my ankles good support.

Duffield

Danner makes a good product for a lightweight boot.  They wear quite well for ordinary work and walking.  I still wear them for light work.  But mine broke down fairly rapidly under daily heavy work around logs and equipment-- became a bit floppy and less- supportive.  I needed a steel shanks and spikes. 

For most uses, the Danners are very good boots.

Archived