SASS Wire Forum

Total time

Hells Comin

Depends on round count.  Five seconds per round plus 30 per stage, so 150 seconds for a 10-10-4 stage, x12=1800.  I don’t think you have much to worry about to making it there:)

1 minute ago, Hells Comin said:

I noticed that one of the matches on this site had shooters with 2000+ seconds?

Look at it this way, he's getting way more value for his match dollar than a shooter running the same match in 200 seconds

If the match was $100 the 2000 round shooter only paid .05 cents per second whereas the 200 sec shooter paid a whopping .50 cents per!:P

JEL

1 hour ago, Morgun Play said:

Depends on round count.  Five seconds per round plus 30 per stage, so 150 seconds for a 10-10-4 stage, x12=1800.  I don’t think you have much to worry about to making it there:)

Never mind, I was mistaken.

Just now, Tennessee williams said:

Not by the SHB.

You're right. I just went and read it again. But it used to be that for a SDQ he time was listed as 998 IIRC.

The scoring for an MDQ is removal of that shooter from the score sheet.

"The MAX score for any stage is 5 seconds times the total number of available misses plus 30 seconds." So a 10,10,4 would be 24 misses times 5 seconds=120 seconds plus 30 seconds for a grand total of 150 seconds. 

Incidentally, you will notice it says MAX score. It doesn't differentiate from a SDQ, or a DNF, or a CLEAN SHOT STAGE. You could have a shooter with a dnf a shooter with a sdq and a clean shooter who shot the stage in 300 seconds all score the same time.

I've seen some mess ups on scores that put a MDQ time in as 999 seconds but leave the shooter on the sheet. This is more than likely from someone not setting the match up correctly on their system.

Since there are shooters that usually always finish near the bottom for many reasons, I don't find a 2000 second finish on a 12 stage match all that hard to believe.  Years ago we shot with a frontiersman that always shot stages in over 2 minutes.  In fact, if it was looking like he'd have a faster finish, it was not unusual for him to stop and chat with the TO.  There was another that shot a Spencer and had to load those extra rounds on the clock.  We have shooters that may not be able to shoot the shotgun and take those misses on every stage.  There are still others that are slow shooters that figure they can never place in their category and go for clean.  We have shooters in wheelchairs and on crutches.  We have the very elderly and very young.  One thing they have in common is the love of the game.  When talking with interested new shooters, one thing I often tell them is that it's a competition that everyone can enjoy at their own pace.  

2 minutes ago, Black Hills Barb said:

Since there are shooters that usually always finish near the bottom for many reasons, I don't find a 2000 second finish on a 12 stage match all that hard to believe.  Years ago we shot with a frontiersman that always shot stages in over 2 minutes.  In fact, if it was looking like he'd have a faster finish, it was not unusual for him to stop and chat with the TO.  There was another that shot a Spencer and had to load those extra rounds on the clock.  We have shooters that may not be able to shoot the shotgun and take those misses on every stage.  There are still others that are slow shooters that figure they can never place in their category and go for clean.  We have shooters in wheelchairs and on crutches.  We have the very elderly and very young.  One thing they have in common is the love of the game.  When talking with interested new shooters, one thing I often tell them is that it's a competition that everyone can enjoy at their own pace.  

MAX score is still the same formulae.

This post has nothing to do with  a  shooters ability and I believe we all feel that way. Like Tennessee William's said I thought your maximum score would be 1800.

How ever I would imagine a club can set here  Own scoring system. 

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

The scoring for an MDQ is removal of that shooter from the score sheet.

"The MAX score for any stage is 5 seconds times the total number of available misses plus 30 seconds." So a 10,10,4 would be 24 misses times 5 seconds=120 seconds plus 30 seconds for a grand total of 150 seconds. 

Incidentally, you will notice it says MAX score. It doesn't differentiate from a SDQ, or a DNF, or a CLEAN SHOT STAGE. You could have a shooter with a dnf a shooter with a sdq and a clean shooter who shot the stage in 300 seconds all score the same time.

I've seen some mess ups on scores that put a MDQ time in as 999 seconds but leave the shooter on the sheet. This is more than likely from someone not setting the match up correctly on their system.

You are correct but with the SASS scoring system you can input all of the shooters scores and check the MDQ block and it will show the shooters total score and put them in last place.

Randy 

1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

This post has nothing to do with  a  shooters ability and I believe we all feel that way. Like Tennessee William's said I thought your maximum score would be 1800.

How ever I would imagine a club can set here  Own scoring system. 

I think it would depend on whether the scoring system defaults to maximum stage score or takes what is put in?  

Randy

22 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

You are correct but with the SASS scoring system you can input all of the shooters scores and check the MDQ block and it will show the shooters total score and put them in last place.

Randy 

I don't know if the SASS program should remove them from the sheet or if they have to be removed manually. I'll do some digging.

54 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy 

Here is a screen shot for the match set up tutorial on you-tube. It has a high range score to enter here. It would be the stage with the fewest targets. So if there's a stage with only 10 targets each for pistol and rifle with no sg, you would put 130. (20x5+30). This let's whoever is entering the scores know they have put too large a time in and will ask them if they're sure they want to enter a time over the max allowable score. Of course the person entering it can override it and put in the longer time but it should only be up to the max allowable time. This would keep a shooter who gets a sdq from getting a quicker time than a slower shooter who took longer.

I haven't gotten to the MDQ yet but am guessing they would be manually removed from the match.

Screenshot_20220707-151317_YouTube.thumb.jpg.277d9c928ac312c899d897300d9c9810.jpg

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I don't know if the SASS program should remove them from the sheet or if they have to be removed manually. I'll do some digging.

On the page where you input the scores and check off penalties there is a block to check for MDQ. It does not remove any of the shooters scores and when the results are printed it shows the shooters time but puts them at the bottom of the score sheet.

Thanks 

Randy 

45 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

On the page where you input the scores and check off penalties there is a block to check for MDQ. It does not remove any of the shooters scores and when the results are printed it shows the shooters time but puts them at the bottom of the score sheet.

Thanks 

Randy 

The previous reply was the remedy for a shooter without a sdq,dnf,mdq penalty getting a time greater than someone with one of those penalties. 

I'm still looking through the tutorial for the mdq as I take a break at work. A man needs a lot of breaks! 

When setting the match up, is the time penalty typically left as 999.9 for the MDQs or changed?

I'm trying to see if the program will automatically remove the shooter or if it has to be manually removed from the scores.

Target count X 5 sec + 30 sec. = max time possible. 

On the second SDQ (= MDQ), shooter is removed from the match so only one 30-second SDQ added penalty is possible.  

4 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Target count × 5sec +60 sec. = max time possible. 

After two SDQs, shooter is no longer on the score sheet so only two 30 second added penalties are possible.  

I don't think that's correct unless I'm wrong. 

DNFs stay on the scores. So, you could have 5 30 second penalties added.

12 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I don't think that's correct unless I'm wrong

Are you quoting Widder there TW? Also, do you get a bonus if you stop and take a nanner split break whilst shooting the stage? :lol:

Kajun

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

The previous reply was the remedy for a shooter without a sdq,dnf,mdq penalty getting a time greater than someone with one of those penalties. 

I'm still looking through the tutorial for the mdq as I take a break at work. A man needs a lot of breaks! 

When setting the match up, is the time penalty typically left as 999.9 for the MDQs or changed?

I'm trying to see if the program will automatically remove the shooter or if it has to be manually removed from the scores.

I don’t think the 999.9 stays in for total time. I know the program does not automatically remove a shooter with a MDG.

Randy

The 999 set up was for RANK scoring, obviously some score programmes may still have this in, but with time, 2 SDQs at 150 seconds for 2 stages will give you a max score of 300. And at that stage you stop shooting, so no more scores.?

And in most cases I guess that would send you to the bottom of the list, but may not remove you actually from the score sheet.

Depends on the system I guess.

16 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Are you quoting Widder there TW? Also, do you get a bonus if you stop and take a nanner split break whilst shooting the stage? :lol:

Kajun

Lol. I should've put a period after the word correct and a comma after the word wrong!

Bonus time only counts if you eat the nanner split while shooting. Everdangbody knows that!

10 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I don’t think the 999.9 stays in for total time. I know the program does not automatically remove a shooter with a MDG.

Randy

Here is an example of a score sheet, look at my total time on the scoresheet. I had a MDQ. 

Randy

image.thumb.jpeg.57b6e056fdaf6c1a6adfa1222488908d.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Here is an example of a score sheet, look at my total time on the scoresheet. I had a MDQ. 

Randy

I'm thinking it has to do with the way the match is set up. Would you typically record the score for every stage on the system? It may be that you have to manually remove the shooter from the match. SHB only says they should be removed from the match, not how to do it. I've got an email in to find out how/if you can set it up automatically.

41 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I don't think that's correct unless I'm wrong. 

I wondered about that.  The rules are unclear by omission. 

They call for a 30 sec added penalty for a SDQ, but make no mention of it for a DNF --or an MDQ for that matter.  So absent that, I figured the DNF would not change the total seconds in the formula I advanced.  

I suppose that lack of clarity is why an experienced, championship shooter asked the original OP question. 

20 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I wondered about that.  The rules are unclear by omission. 

They call for a 30 sec added penalty for a SDQ, but make no mention of it for a DNF --or an MDQ for that matter.  So absent that, I figured the DNF would not change the total seconds in the formula I advanced.  

I suppose that lack of clarity is why an experienced, championship shooter asked the original OP question. 

DNFs are scored the same as SDQs. MDQ'd shooter should be removed from the scores. I think it's pg 24 in the SHB.

Screenshot_20220707-120555_Drive.thumb.jpg.93e09343996ca3db253c74d355aac471.jpg

I don't think clarity or lack thereof is the reason for the post.

I would suppose the experienced championship shooter asked the original OP question because he seen someone post a score sheet that had scores in excess of 2000 seconds. Because that's what he said.:P

48 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

Hey Randy, on the match setup section on the lower left there is a box that says print MDQs on the report. That box should be unchecked. It keeps the shooter in the system but removes them from the scores. 

Archived