SASS Wire Forum

Dang, I love small towns!

Welcome to Mayberry, Tx. Actually Clyde, but pretty much like Mayberry. So this morning the feed store calls and my Nutrena dog food came in after almost 2 weeks (had to be Putin's fault). So a while ago I went and ran my truck thru the auto car wash (which actually does a pretty good job). Went by the feed store across the railroad track for the dog food, crossing the track I see 3 little boys selling......something, when it's about 103 degrees. So I stop and they are selling lemonade for $1. Sure, I'm in. It was actually pretty good. All this is taking place a few hundred yards from my house. I was gone maybe 30 minutes and drove I'd say less than 2 miles.

Every time I go to a big city (D-FW, Houston, Austin, where ever) it always amazes me, why in the compound HELL anyone would want to live there!

The view from my saddle,

JHC

I grew up in and live in a small town.  Everyone knows most everyone else.  When I was a kid, my parents would know I was in trouble in school before I did.  If you ever need a helping hand, there are many folks who will reach out to do so.

Clyde is twice as big as Edgewood, the nearest town to me. I live out in the sticks, so not much interaction with the town, which is fine with me. People are friendly, and know me when I go to the pharmacy and post office.

I lived in a couple of the Big cities as a young man and visited several others, all for work.  They weren't the sewers are now, in fact they were still pretty marvelous, and like the purported Wyatt Earp quote on saloons " filled with opportunity" at least for the young.  Now I live on my small ranch, near a tiny town.  Visit bigger towns and the city when I need to.  Its all good, I wouldn't do it another way.

38 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Clyde is twice as big as Edgewood, the nearest town to me. I live out in the sticks, so not much interaction with the town, which is fine with me. People are friendly, and know me when I go to the pharmacy and post office.

I work 30 miles away in Merkel which is smaller than Clyde. Only drug store in a one horse town. Love it. I could make more money somewhere else, but after 30 years in the meat grinders I figured out the extra money wasn't worth the stress.  There's a song on one of my Irish albums goes something like this.

"The rich never spend any dole of their own,

They hold it away like a dog on its bone,

But they end on their back under nettles and stones.

I hear there's no pockets in shrouds."

JHC

6 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I work 30 miles away in Merkel which is smaller than Clyde. Only drug store in a one horse town. Love it. I could make more money somewhere else, but after 30 years in the meat grinders I figured out the extra money wasn't worth the stress.  There's a song on one of my Irish albums goes something like this.

"The rich never spend any dole of their own,

They hold it away like a dog on its bone,

But they end on their back under nettles and stones.

I hear there's no pockets in shrouds."

JHC

In case there is any truth to the legends, I'll be buried armed with a coin for the boatman!

We moved from southern California (our town had about 100,00 pop.) when I retired 22 years ago to SW Colorado. The nearest town has about 800 people and our county has less than 30,000. We just love it. Too bad it's so difficult to earn a living here, but as retirees, my wife and I do just fine.

I retired on a small farm in Cecilia Ky. The local town, Elizabethtown was also a small town. It is now one of the fastest growing in ky and sprawling out to out farmland. The wife and I love it here and are surrounded by great people that own very large farms but pressure is mounting for them to sell out. One is solar farms and the other is rich people moving into the are looking for real estate. Most come from California, Washington and New York. We are starting to look further out into the country. Most of them I here about from the LGS are coming from big cities.  That scares us

We have lived out in a rural county for the past 40 years.  The problem is, metro Atlanta has found us.  It's no longer the quiet forgotten area we loved so much.  Now we have to wait on traffic to get out of our neighborhood and red lights are springing up all over.  I don't know how much longer we can stand it but the roots are pretty deep.  

when i moved here - we were a couple souls over 5000 , today , 32 years later we are over 25000 , id be good with a small town when we downsize , but the way things are going im guessing ill die here 

Born and raised in a big city. I now live in what I would call a semi-rural area on the outskirts of a small city. If I could get further out, I would. As I've said before, but for my love of a really good hamburger, I could be a hermit.

The town of Dove Creek has had a population of about 600 since I moved here 15 years ago. It’s about midway between Monticello UT, pop 3,000 and Cortez Co, pop 8,000.

I don’t see it increasing anytime in the future.

Archived