SASS Wire Forum

Akron Ohio police shooting

Happened same day as highland Park I’ll. Don’t know much other than what my Aunt told me. Jayland Walker was fleeing a traffic stop. Eight officer shot him more than 60 times. Word is he had a gun in his vehicle but not on his person at the time of the shooting. Riots are expected

2 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Happened same day as highland Park I’ll. Don’t know much other than what my Aunt told me. Jayland Walker was fleeing a traffic stop. Eight officer shot him more than 60 times. Word is he had a gun in his vehicle but not on his person at the time of the shooting. Riots are expected

I heard that on the radio yesterday. Sounds like Bravo Sierra to me. 8 officers shoot some guy more than 60 times fleeing a traffic stop? There's either more to the story or it's more media hype.

JHC

9 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I heard that on the radio yesterday. Sounds like Bravo Sierra to me. 8 officers shoot some guy more than 60 times fleeing a traffic stop? There's either more to the story or it's more media hype.

JHC

It’s true, 90 shots were fired and 60 hit him. He shot from his car and then got out and ran and looked like he was reaching for a gun as he ran. The police while overdoing it had no idea if he had a gun or not. The question no one is asking is why did he run? 

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It’s true, 90 shots were fired and 60 hit him. He shot from his car and then got out and ran and looked like he was reaching for a gun as he ran. The police while overdoing it had no idea if he had a gun or not. The question no one is asking is why did he run? 

Dayum!

JHC

60 times.     Heck, I probably couldn't survive 60 shots from a Daisy BB rifle.

What were the Akron Police shooting........... air soft rifles?

..........Widder

The truth is...... the gun fled the same police the night before. The next night they saw him commit another violation and attempted to conduct a traffic stop. The guy fled again but this time they pursued. While in pursuit he fired a shot of if the window of the vehicle. This is confirmed by sound on the officer's body cam and visually by a street traffic cam. As more units joined in the subject slowed and then reached into the back seat. He then slid over to the passenger side and bailed from the still moving vehicle wearing a ski mask.  The police have chase demanding him repeatedly to stop, show his hands, and get down on the ground, he failed to comply. One officer attempted to deploy his taser at the running subject but missed. The subject then turned and acted as if he were pulling a firearm and the 8 LEOs all opened fire. It was very fast and may have been 45-50 rounds but didn't seem like 90 to me and I've been in that exact situation. Almost immediately after the subject was down they started yelling cease firing abs they did. The gun was found on the back seat. 

Hope that clears a little bit up. 

JEL

As I said, I got what my Aunt texted me. I saw nothing on the news. I never speculate and I knew I would more info here.

54 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

The truth is...... the gun fled the same police the night before. The next night they saw him commit another violation and attempted to conduct a traffic stop. The guy fled again but this time they pursued. While in pursuit he fired a shot of if the window of the vehicle. This is confirmed by sound on the officer's body cam and visually by a street traffic cam. As more units joined in the subject slowed and then reached into the back seat. He then slid over to the passenger side and bailed from the still moving vehicle wearing a ski mask.  The police have chase demanding him repeatedly to stop, show his hands, and get down on the ground, he failed to comply. One officer attempted to deploy his taser at the running subject but missed. The subject then turned and acted as if he were pulling a firearm and the 8 LEOs all opened fire. It was very fast and may have been 45-50 rounds but didn't seem like 90 to me and I've been in that exact situation. Almost immediately after the subject was down they started yelling cease firing abs they did. The gun was found on the back seat. 

JEL

The police chief verified that 90 shots were fired and he was hit by 60.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

60 times.     Heck, I probably couldn't survive 60 shots from a Daisy BB rifle.

What were the Akron Police shooting........... air soft rifles?

..........Widder

He didn’t survive!

11 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I know that this is a silly question .......... but, ......

..... if they fired 90 rounds and hit him 60 times .........

..... where did 1/3 of the expended rounds go ?  :huh:

Here, there and everywhere!!

20 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

That is a good hit rate.  2/3 miss and 1/3 hit the intended target on average from reports I've read.

Well, they probably shouldn’t have shot him according to some folks. I guess when people shoot at the police they should get biscuit, a blanket and a drink of water. Perhaps they should also get…ah, never mind. 

I think what the cops need are Phasers and not set on stun. Disintegrate. That’s the proper setting. Poof! Problem solved. 

Some years ago now in Polk Co. Florida, a person shot and killed a Polk Co. deputy, his canine and wounded another deputy. He then ran into some woods to hide. The SWAT team found him and shot him 68 times. When Polk Co. sheriff Grady Judd was asked by a reporter why did they shoot him 68 times, Sheriff Judd replied "We ran out of ammunition".

OK , why flee ? did he really think he could escape ? 

why shoot at cops then flee again , did he think that would work out well ? 

i bet someone says he was a "good boy" too - then why was he running from cops and shooting at them ? 

8 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Some years ago now in Polk Co. Florida, a person shot and killed a Polk Co. deputy, his canine and wounded another deputy. He then ran into some woods to hide. The SWAT team found him and shot him 68 times. When Polk Co. sheriff Grady Judd was asked by a reporter why did they shoot him 68 times, Sheriff Judd replied "We ran out of ammunition".

When I said in my comment that I've been in that situation before.... THIS was the situation. 

I was on SWAT then and it was Plok County deputues and several BPD officers, my county's local PD, that shot him.  I was only 25-30 feet away when this happened. They only fired for less than 2 seconds but we were using MP5s then abs IIRC 8 shot at the same time. Didn't take long to get that round count. 

For those saying why did they shoot do much? Is called excited delirium.  Most officers cannot tell you how many shots they fired in situations like this. The majority believe after that they only fired a couple rounds when in reality some have emptied mags and reloaded without remembering. It's fight or fight reactions. Your brain loses everything but fine motor skills. The closest thing I've ever found to the actual thing is when the timer goes off in competition. That adrenaline rush of the timer is maybe 5% of what its like in real life, but it's great training because nothing else comes even close.

JEL

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The police chief verified that 90 shots were fired and he was hit by 60.

That may be and i said "it didn't seem"  but watch the video. It's over in a couple seconds. The media likes to push the narrative and I hadn't heard the chief made a statement when I posted. 

JEL

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

OK , why flee ? did he really think he could escape ? 

why shoot at cops then flee again , did he think that would work out well ? 

i bet someone says he was a "good boy" too - then why was he running from cops and shooting at them ? 

Oh yes his family was saying what a great person he was! Great people don’t flee from police for a traffic stop!

Remember Floyd was an angel too, they all are.

14 hours ago, John E. Law said:

JEL

He had recently lost his significant other (I think to a drive by shooting, but not sure), family said he was depressed.  The gun, with magazine removed, and his wedding ring were in the back seat of the car.  I'm thinking suicide by cop.

36 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

He had recently lost his significant other (I think to a drive by shooting, but not sure), family said he was depressed.  The gun, with magazine removed, and his wedding ring were in the back seat of the car.  I'm thinking suicide by cop.

My thought exactly. 

He also fled the night before, but they called off the pursuit. I think he was trying then and then added the gun.

JEL

14 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

And those that were still travelling after going through the guy?

No one ever asks that.  I remember the question coming up after several LA shootings in the 70s.  All of them were hushed up.  We moved into a place a couple of blocks from the Symbionese Liberation Army / Patty Hearst shootout and a few months later, and the whole area was still bullet riddled.

"Most people in a fire fight don't shoot to apply marksmanship.  Most people in a fire fight shoot because it makes them feel good."  Clint Smith

YouTube is covered up with videos of shootings where the norm is a mag dump.  Whatever the capacity of their firearm, they run it dry before they stop.  

Archived