SASS Wire Forum

Bent lever on shotgun

doc roy l. pain

For you cowpokes that shoot a side by side with a bent lever, what are the benefits? Do you feel that they open easier?  Does it allow your hand to sit further up the wrist while your shooting?  For those that have done it, have you put it on the clock to see if there is any benefits in time on your shotgun runs?  

Hi Doc,

When I shot a modern Box Lock with inside hammers, I found no appreciable difference in "splits" with a bent lever as opposed to an OEM lever.  I would guess the difference to be in the thousandth of a second.  Not enough difference to matter.

Then I started shooting Hammer Doubles with ALL BRASS hulls and it became moot.  Add the fact I have gotten OLD and SLOW . . . .

I've studied it a bit and have an skb with it bent. First off, I'd say the bent lever is way more beneficial to the LEFT hand shooter. Keep in mind, lengthening the lever is illegal. When the lever is bent, it loses some length down the stock. So unless it's clarified that one can be lengthened back down the stock to make up for what you lose, you end up with a shorter lever. Thats no bueno! I'd be glad to mail you my bent lever for you to try. Just say the word. 

I think we're still on a holding pattern for the vertically bent lever clarification. That, to me would make a bigger difference.

I'm working on an interesting technique that may help speed ME up, but trial and error will be the determining factor. Some work, some don't.

18 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'd be glad to mail you my bent lever for you to try. Just say the word. 

This to me is what makes our game special.  Ahhh!

463 views and only 5 people commented. Apparently there are not as many bending their levers as I thought. Must not do anything. 

46 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

463 views and only 5 people commented. Apparently there are not as many bending their levers as I thought. Must not do anything. 

If I bend a lever on my 97, I'm pretty sure I'm done for the day. :D

(Also, I'm left handed, so I was just watching out of curiosity.)

I have one LCSmith that came with a bent lever. I doubt it makes me faster but I found that it made my thumb feel more secure as it now was slightly hooked into the lever, instead of pushing a straight lever. If you have less strength in your thumb than you used to it might be a useful mod.

I agree with Springfeild Slim,   The bent lever gives me a more secure felling.  Helps keep my thumb from slipping off the lever.      GW

Archived