SASS Wire Forum

Guess what broke on my 94 Marlin...(pics added)

Widder, SASS #59054

The LOCKING BOLT.

The hook portion (the whole hook) sheared right off.

The rifle still functioned but not at 100%.   But all is well because I was able to 

order a new one from Numrich.

I've worked on a few Marlins over the years....... but I've never seen nor heard of that Locking Bolt breaking.

I was lucky that I was able to finish our local Tuesday match with no real problems to hinder my shooting.

Stuff happens!

..........Widder

10 hours ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Wow Widder, that's the first one I've ever heard breaking. Maybe you should slow down. :-)

7 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Hard to slow down a widdermatic. Especially if it's anywhere near a sammich.:o

On a good run, at best I only run at Mach speeds, not 'Warp Drive'. like some of you fellers.  :D

..........Widder

Good thing you know that Widder guy, he'll get you fixed right up. I'd be investigating sabotage.:lol: Nice that you found a replacement.

8 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Hard to slow down a widdermatic. Especially if it's anywhere near a sammich.:o

If I remember correctly there were sandwiches involved. ;)

Just now, Tennessee williams said:

Pictures of Widders' locking bolt.

34480.thumb.jpeg.bd2272df28871b0549bb48d2e0c1cc82.jpeg34479.thumb.jpeg.6e3247ddb7e645e0d7766c2c635ee8ee.jpeg34478.thumb.jpeg.617ecf48241efaafab9edd6959bf003d.jpeg

Here are 3 pics of a good Locking Bolt and my broken Locking Bolt.

Notice the 2nd and 3rd pics that show a good view of how the hook sheared off.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Metal fatigue will take down anything and everything eventually. How old is that rifle?

Howdy  CGB.    This rifle is a 'JM'  made .32 H&R Cowboy model.   I don't know the exact year of manufacture, but

it can't be very old.   I bought it 'slightly' used about 8-10 years ago, best of my recollection.

BUT......... because that is a 'Common Part', its possible that particular Locking Bolt is decades old.

..........Widder

• Widder, SASS #59054 changed the title to Guess what broke on my 94 Marlin...(pics added)
10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I vote metal fatigue... ;)

No doubt, it is a weird break.

..........Widder

Probably heat related. It was a might toasty that morning. 

I think it just found it's inner teenager and rebelled.  Widder didn't mention that it went all goth, died its hair so black it wouldn't reflect light.  Got into the eyeliner and makeup.  Sheesh, you just can't control them these days.

31 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I think it just found it's inner teenager and rebelled.  Widder didn't mention that it went all goth, died its hair so black it wouldn't reflect light.  Got into the eyeliner and makeup.  Sheesh, you just can't control them these days.

I refused to raise its allowance.   :lol:

..........Widder

8 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I refused to raise its allowance.   :lol:

..........Widder

Yer gettin' into dangerous territory.  Next thing you know, it's gonna go off on drinking binges and will start dating a musician!

11 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Yer gettin' into dangerous territory.  Next thing you know, it's gonna go off on drinking binges and will start dating a musician!

I'm already cursed............ TN Williams has folks thinking I'm one of his 2 friends 

..........Widder

Not that I'm looking at it up close and personal, but the surface of the break appears to be "crystallized" which is indicative of metal fatigue.  It would therefore appear you have denied it the requisite "afternoon naps??"  Naps are important ya know.  As are sharing your Nannersplitz!!

1 hour ago, Wyatt Hurts SASS#72737 said:

I hear they run faster and smoother without that part anyways :P:blink:

Actually, that's one part that I haven't tampered with or modified, etc.....

If properly fitted from the factory, and most of them are fitted well,  it has little, if any, effect on the operation efficiency of the rifle.

And I would never recommend anyone remove them.  They are a great safety device AND a necessary part when using the factory 2-piece

firing pin.

..........Widder

I would recommend carefully inspecting the corresponding portion of the lever for indications of incipient failure.  

Thats a good idea.

I've shot this rifle a few 0000 times with never an issue, jam, hang up, glitch, etc...........

Then all of a sudden........ it happened.

Ya know, I was on a Posse with TN Williams the 1st of June.   Kinda makes a feller think.

..........Widder

Have ya checked yer cart fer chicken feet? Ole TW been known to hex his competition with those left in strategic locations. This could all just be voodoo.

Howdy

I bought this 44-40 Marlin Model 1894 sometime in the 1970s, before CAS existed. When I looked up the serial number it turned out to have been manufactured in 1895. I bought one box of Remington 44-40 ammo with it and after shooting most of the box of ammo the old Marlin sat neglected in a closet for about 25 years or so. I attended my first CAS match in 2000 and brought the old Marlin with me. I got off one shot, and then it jammed. I borrowed another rifle to finish the match.

pnWyGV0uj

After managing to unload it I took it to a local gunsmith.  It turned out the hook on the lever, not the hook on the locking bolt, was so worn that it could not grab the locking bolt reliably enough to pull the locking bolt down out of engagement with the bolt. The smith's comment at the time was everybody including the village blacksmith had been inside the old rifle at some point. He also said that somebody had welded (brazed?) some bronze onto the hook in an attempt to build it up again. The smith welded some steel onto the hook and reshaped it. You can see by the color where he added the metal. Not the locking bolt that failed, but the hook on the lever that pulls it down. Anyway, after that the old rifle works fine. I don't shoot it much, I should bring it to a match again one of these days.

pnJI3fGmj

Archived