SASS Wire Forum

Weird saa grips

Tennessee williams

Any of yall seen any of these weird turquoise grips on a SAA? I reckon they're designed to work as a one piece grip. This colt was made I believe in 1958 and is 38special. Is this something typical for people to do back then? I've seen turquoise inlaid but not solid turquoise. They're pretty heavy and I'd say with a sweaty hand would be kind of slick. I picked this one up this passed weekend along with a first Gen with ivory grips in 45. I just think it's odd and wanted to get yalls take on them.

20220703_184502.thumb.jpg.ca4230de475f56c5f5d3d9f0ff6d4c6c.jpg

Looks like it'd be right at home in a 1950's decor!

1st generation on the right with ivory grips. Made 1879

2nd generation on the left with turquoise grips made 1958

I doubt either has been cleaned in 50 years. Actions are like new. So...would you polish them up or leave as is?

20220705_182308.thumb.jpg.556c26e5c48e4e5ea8d349be45435816.jpg

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

1st gen could be silver plated maybe?

Probably nickel. I would clean and leave as is. A lot of old colts were replated. Most will show some flaking. Can’t tell for sure from the picture but doesn’t look plated. May be just patina. All the old blue and case colors have wore off. 

For awhile there were some grip makers using a solid countertop material.  But I do not recollect the product name.

I first saw some in 2002 at HOW and more a few years later at a SASS convention. 

They are cool!

14 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

For awhile there were some grip makers using a solid countertop material.  But I do not recollect the product name.

I first saw some in 2002 at HOW and more a few years later at a SASS convention. 

They are cool!

Corian ?

45 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Probably nickel. I would clean and leave as is. A lot of old colts were replated. Most will show some flaking. Can’t tell for sure from the picture but doesn’t look plated. May be just patina. All the old blue and case colors have wore off. 

I didn't find an obvious flaking. Also, the tarnish rubs off like it does on a silver spoon. I only rubbed the top of the blade sight. I've never seen nickel tarnish, only flake. I don't know. Maybe I should get a letter on it.

45 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Corian ?

Yep. that's what they told me.

Much obliged!

If that is real turquoise and not a dyed and stabilized non-turquoise look-alike, that would be very expensive. That said, I like them.

I would give those Colts a very light rub with some bronze wool and Rem-oil and call it good. Congrats, those are really nice.

I have seen SAA and 1911 grips made of solid turquoise,  They are heavy and expensive but have a tremendous "cool" factor.  The picture came off the Classic Single Action website.  

96.jpg

11 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I would give those Colts a very light rub with some bronze wool and Rem-oil and call it good. Congrats, those are really nice.

that would be my approach if they were mine - very nice looking revolvers 

On 7/5/2022 at 3:44 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Any of yall seen any of these weird turquoise grips on a SAA? I reckon they're designed to work as a one piece grip. This colt was made I believe in 1958 and is 38special. Is this something typical for people to do back then? I've seen turquoise inlaid but not solid turquoise. They're pretty heavy and I'd say with a sweaty hand would be kind of slick. I picked this one up this passed weekend along with a first Gen with ivory grips in 45. I just think it's odd and wanted to get yalls take on them.

If you’re hand is sweaty or even sticky from something you ate like say some ice cream don’t touch the Colt :D  

Seriously before you do anything to the first gen you should make sure that whatever you do doesn’t lower the value.  It’s hard to put 100+ years of patina back on a gun, restoration and preservation are two different things.  You got some very nice guns there, I’m jealous, lots of luck!

On 7/5/2022 at 5:36 PM, Tennessee williams said:

1st generation on the right with ivory grips. Made 1879

2nd generation on the left with turquoise grips made 1958

I doubt either has been cleaned in 50 years. Actions are like new. So...would you polish them up or leave as is?

20220705_182308.thumb.jpg.556c26e5c48e4e5ea8d349be45435816.jpg

Very nice, I would leave as is only cleaning if any rust . I have seen a few sets of Turquoise grips in New Mexico /AZ area  any inside marking on them for maker ?  Some Navajo made them and would sign them  ? 

6 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Very nice, I would leave as is only cleaning if any rust . I have seen a few sets of Turquoise grips in New Mexico /AZ area  any inside marking on them for maker ?  Some Navajo made them and would sign them  ? 

I haven't had them off. Good idea to look!

59 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I haven't had them off. Good idea to look!

And being turquoise  that size is a chunk of good size and different areas have different colors ect, say like Kingman AZ is  highly sought after . Could be a pricy set of grips now  (which yours could be from Kingman / Mohave area which makes sense if Navajo or Hopi Made )
https://www.horsekeeping.com/jewelry/stones.htm

Archived