SASS Wire Forum

Trigger pinches finger

Max Payne

Friend of mine is a new shooter. He's shot about 20 matches, & he's pinching his finger a lot. He does have a lever safety still in his rifle, which is an 18 inch Uberti. Is a straight trigger the way to go for him? If so, where can he buy one? Or, if the straight trigger isn't the way to go, what do you recommend to help with this?

Straight trigger will definitely cure the pinch but will introduce another problem, timing.  The face of the straight trigger sits further forward in the trigger guard.  That means there's less distance for your finger to travel to get to it.  That means until he adjusts the timing of his trigger finger he'll be hitting the trigger early.  Since he's new this is a good time to make the transition, but he needs to be aware there WILL be a transition. 

Step one: round, smooth and polish the bottom of the trigger.

Step two: slow down and get your technique, timing and muscle memory down pat. Then work on speed. Keep in mind that every change you make to the rifle affects the above.

Oh, and I still clip my finger every once and a while, but I know it's me, not the rifle.

36 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Straight trigger will definitely cure the pinch but will introduce another problem, timing.  The face of the straight trigger sits further forward in the trigger guard.  That means there's less distance for your finger to travel to get to it.  That means until he adjusts the timing of his trigger finger he'll be hitting the trigger early.  Since he's new this is a good time to make the transition, but he needs to be aware there WILL be a transition. 

Thanks, Bull. I think you're right about a good time to make the transition. Know where he can buy one?

I have the straight trigger. It didn't take long to get the timing down. I remade and fitted a prototype one in aluminum that's on the same angle as the stock curved trigger. It worked fantastic with the way I slam fire my rifle. I put about 30 rounds on it and it started to wear fast. I just haven't had the time to cut another one out of steel yet, but will get it done asap.

JEL

20220522_072653.jpg

20220522_072705.jpg

I pinched my trigger finger back in 1987 when I first started using a '73, it had a slightly longer throw that my 1892 and trying to go as fast was the cause.  I slowed a little, changed my finger position in the lever, and haven't pinched my finger in the intervening years.    Now that I've said that, it'll happen at my next match!:o

9 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm about 3 or 4 years in. How much longer until my timing is down!?:P

Usually shows up about the same time as that "old enough to know better" thing  :D

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

4 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Usually shows up about the same time as that "old enough to know better" thing  :D

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

TW, I don't know that you're gonna be able to do this. Have you thought about taking up bowling?

Yep, straight trigger is a bit of a transition but that trigger pinch one  time was enough for me!

I guess that's an advantage to being slow. I didn't really notice a difference when I installed Slix straight trigger. Fortunately I haven't gotten bit by Ellie's curved one either. Prolly will now.:o

In my own finger pinching experience, this is a great smooth is fast lesson.  I suspect your friend is doing the same thing I did.  I pinched my finger a few times, during a period when I was intentionally trying to shoot faster.  The pain was sufficient motivation for me to re-examine my technique.  In hindsight, I tried to shoot fast without first learning to shoot smooth.  As an added bonus, practice is less expensive than new parts.

2 hours ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Love the Eastwood quote.:D

I stole it from somebody else :D. Been using my phone lately and don't get to them on it! 

Archived