SASS Wire Forum

Massacre in Highland Park, Illinois

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My niece is a public defender and is against the death penalty. (She's a liberal but I still love her.) She says that keeping someone on death row costs more than life in prison because of all the appeals . Some people are on death row for 20 years or more. Just lock 'em up and throw away the key!

There's three one things that I agree with the Chinese on....22 long rifle, quick execution of sentence and anonymity of the executed.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My niece is a public defender and is against the death penalty. (She's a liberal but I still love her.) She says that keeping someone on death row costs more than life in prison because of all the appeals . Some people are on death row for 20 years or more. Just lock 'em up and throw away the key!

So there is no cost to the taxpayers for keeping a 20-something perp for sixty years?  Yeah, a .22 short behind the left ear.  May not deter anyone else, but for sure, if they send him to the nuthouse, and twenty years from now he gets paroled (in spite of the "no possibility of parole" in the original sentence), they say, "Oh, he's cured, and no longer a threat to himself or anybody" crap).  The death penalty, there is no possibility of his getting out and killing someone else.  And this is not a case of "beyond reasonable doubt".  He's admitted to the crime, let him do eternity in hell or wherever! :angry:

A dead offender is not a repeat offender.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

And, weld the door shut.

The rest of the story...

In 2019, police had been called to the family home after the kid (19 at the time), had threatened suicide, then a second time as he threatened others.  Police removed a large cache of knives.  Mental health workers were called.  Local police as a matter of policy also relayed the information to State Police.  But, since he didn't have a FOID card, and parents were not willing to go forward with about his severe problems, no further action was taken.

Then, dear old Dad, (candidate for Highland mayor in 2020), that year sponsors the kid to get his FOID.   Really??  You're kid threatens suicide,  and threatens others, and you think it's a good idea to get him firearms?  

After this is all over, Dad will be lucky to afford a cardboard box to live in.  

"Highland Park police filed a "clear and present danger report" with the state, but "no one, including the family, was willing to move forward on a complaint," the ISP said in a statement Tuesday."  

https://www.foxnews.com/us/highland-park-fourth-of-july-parade-attack-parents-alleged-gunman-culpable

The gun that was found in the Highland Park parade shooting suspect's car when he was arrested after a manhunt.  / Credit: CBS News

So what is this beast? I've seen reports calling is an S&W M&P15 and another saying it was a Kel-tech Sub2000.  Yet another report stated that the second rifle he had (in his car or that he purchased) was a Remington 700, which, of course is a bolt-action.  :unsure:

that is a keltec sub 2000 - as far as i know they are available in 9mm & 40 CAL , MINE IS 9MM , not what one would think it is at first sight , but a fun gun 

On 7/5/2022 at 5:42 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Ole King Solomon understood the problem with delayed justice.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 (NIV)

When the sentence for a crime is not quickly carried out, people’s hearts are filled with schemes to do wrong.

wise thinking , but this will drag out in court and media 

11 hours ago, Chantry said:

I expect an attempt to repeal the 2nd Amendment, but I think the 2/3rds of both Houses of Congress and 3/4qtrs of the states is too high of a threshold to be met.

Chantry, it is a high threshold repealing the 2nd Amendment. Next, would be colossal undertaking of confiscating all privately owned firearms.  Then when there's a high demand for firearms, there's the problem of keeping guns from coming in from across our borders.  I see all that.  Yet sadly, I expect the 2nd Amendment to be repealed within the next 50 years.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:17 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

Also amazing how they instantly traced the rifle to this scum when records aren't supposed to be kept. And as usual many red flags on social media, but ignored. Makes ya wonder who puts them up to this especially during an election year.:ph34r:

This type of trace is fairly common.  ATF calls the manufacturer to find which distributor they sold the gun to.  Distributor tells which retailer it was sold to.  Retailer is required by law to retain bound book record of sales and transfers.  That book alone should contain the name and address of the buyer, and the 4473 will have the rest.  

10 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The gun that was found in the Highland Park parade shooting suspect's car when he was arrested after a manhunt.  / Credit: CBS News

So what is this beast? I've seen reports calling is an S&W M&P15 and another saying it was a Kel-tech Sub2000.  Yet another report stated that the second rifle he had (in his car or that he purchased) was a Remington 700, which, of course is a bolt-action.  :unsure:

The S&W M&P-15 was found in the street.  The Kel-Tec was in his car when stopped.

11 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Chantry, it is a high threshold repealing the 2nd Amendment. Next, would be colossal undertaking of confiscating all privately owned firearms.  Then when there's a high demand for firearms, there's the problem of keeping guns from coming in from across our borders.  I see all that.  Yet sadly, I expect the 2nd Amendment to be repealed within the next 50 years.

I would hope that doesn't happen....EVER! But I doubt it will make much difference to me personally.  While it might be nice to reach 130, I doubt that will happen either.

Archived