SASS Wire Forum

gun values?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Some have suggested to look at Gunbroker for ideas on what to ask.

Posting on our classifieds doesnt allow auction style selling.

The asking prices on GB often is way high.

What you want is to look at completed sales.

You have to sigh up on GB to view completed sales.

I believe there is no charge.

OR just look at a lot of items like the ones you want to sell.

If you are selling a recent purchase you might just take off a bit and

ask that as a starting point.

If someone is not being straight with you just move along.

Once I had a deal and the guy sold to another buyer.

I was so disappointed and ticked off.

BUT a few days later I found two six  shooters much more to my likening

and and and a hundred fifty dollars cheaper.

Note that dealers may contact  you with low offers in order to resell

and make a buck.  Fact of life.

I hope this helps those who are just getting started.

Books are written on this topic.

Best

CR

and good luck dealing.

33 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've used this site before and like it. Do you have any idea where they collect their data?

Not really.

I suspect they scrape data from all the auction sites.

They seem pretty daggone accurate.

Selling used guns (or anything) is capitalistic by nature 95% of the time. Sure you can check prices of what people are asking for stuff. What you have to be aware of, and I see this a lot, is the fact that two people can have for sale the same model gun in the same condition. The difference is, one person needs to pay their electric bill and one person thinks he has a pile of gold. Which one is right? Neither, or is it actually both? One NEEDS a quick sale to get the cash for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with that. The other prices his waaay high and since he does not need the money and can wait 6mths or more for his return, he can also wait for the offer that is in his mind a good return on his money. Nothing wrong with that either in my opinion. A prospective seller or buyer should keep them both in mind though. I look at multiple sources from the blue book of gun values to gunbroker, armslist and other sales sights to get an idea of worth. In the end, that's what we all want to know. Worth.

That being said, it makes a difference where/when you're trying to sell a gun too. Everything from what part of the country to the time of year. Deer rifles sell quicker and higher a month before deer season starts. It also makes a big difference if you're selling something to a "cowboy" or a collector or everyday shooter. Go to a gunshow and try to sell an SKB worked over and cowboy tuned and cut to 20". You'll be lucky to get 700 bucks. Sell it to a cowboy for 1400 and you'll get your arm ripped off if you don't let go quick enough. There is no one stop shop to value your guns' exact worth. There are just too many variables. 

Atleast, that's the way it looks from my side of the fence.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:09 AM, Tennessee williams said:

Selling used guns (or anything) is capitalistic by nature 95% of the time. Sure you can check prices of what people are asking for stuff. What you have to be aware of, and I see this a lot, is the fact that two people can have for sale the same model gun in the same condition. The difference is, one person needs to pay their electric bill and one person thinks he has a pile of gold. Which one is right? Neither, or is it actually both? One NEEDS a quick sale to get the cash for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with that. The other prices his waaay high and since he does not need the money and can wait 6mths or more for his return, he can also wait for the offer that is in his mind a good return on his money. Nothing wrong with that either in my opinion. A prospective seller or buyer should keep them both in mind though. I look at multiple sources from the blue book of gun values to gunbroker, armslist and other sales sights to get an idea of worth. In the end, that's what we all want to know. Worth.

That being said, it makes a difference where/when you're trying to sell a gun too. Everything from what part of the country to the time of year. Deer rifles sell quicker and higher a month before deer season starts. It also makes a big difference if you're selling something to a "cowboy" or a collector or everyday shooter. Go to a gunshow and try to sell an SKB worked over and cowboy tuned and cut to 20". You'll be lucky to get 700 bucks. Sell it to a cowboy for 1400 and you'll get your arm ripped off if you don't let go quick enough. There is no one stop shop to value your guns' exact worth. There are just too many variables. 

Atleast, that's the way it looks from my side of the fence.

TW,

is it all those nanner splits that made you so smart or is it hanging out with Widder that makes you seem smarter?

33 minutes ago, Double Barrel, SASS 34765 said:

TW,

is it all those nanner splits that made you so smart or is it hanging out with Widder that makes you seem smarter?

Heck. I got myself stuck in a belt the other day and it took me forever to figure out how to get out of it! 

Widder hangs out with me so he can get my Dairy Queen discount!

Archived