SASS Wire Forum

I need a Mormon abbreviation explained

Alpo

I was on a site talking about standing when a woman enters the room.

https://wheatandtares.org/2015/06/14/standing-for-women/

And I found this comment:

>There’s a few other mormon practices I find strange: standing for GA’s, and standing at funerals. I’ve been at a meeting, and wondered why the entire audience stands in unison, only to discover a GA had entered the room. I guess it is respectful, but seems a little like idol worshipping to me.<

Anyone know what a GA is?

56 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What is odd about standing at a funeral?  Or any service?

There's a second paragraph that I didn't quote. If I read it correctly, he's not speaking of the graveside. He's speaking of in church. Again, if I read it right, when ANY member of the dear departed's family enters, everyone stands.

His wife comes in, and everybody stands up. She sits down, they sit down. Then his brother comes in, and everybody stands up again. Brother sits down and they sit down. Then his grandmother comes in, and everybody stands up again.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

There's a second paragraph that I didn't quote. If I read it correctly, he's not speaking of the graveside. He's speaking of in church. Again, if I read it right, when ANY member of the dear departed's family enters, everyone stands.

It wasn't until the Protestant Reformation that sitting in church became commonplace. There has always been some seating for elderly, or infirm, and such.  Look at interior shots of old cathedrals and you can see that the seating is added long after they were built.

Here's the church I go to, St. Seraphim of Sarov Cathedral, Santa Rosa California taken from near the front looking towards the back.

20190729_155941.thumb.jpg.97d74b99f1df1b3efb43de2f56330396.jpg

Holy Virgin Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Geary Street, San Francisco:

cathedral1.jpg.a913e50264cf5008e2222fb7a000ef99.jpg

:ph34r:  

Standing for the family members of the deceased, or for a GA is done out of respect for the family members and their loss, and for the OFFICE of a GA (not the individual themselves).

Thanks to Singin' Sue for the authoritative research.

4 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Sorry my biblical rock isn’t working today :D( for those that don’t know the Mormon religion was based from “reading on a rock” that he found ) 

Wrong......as most non-believers are.  Do some research before you make comments about something  that you nothing about.  Also about what your local mail order preached tells you about Mormons being a cult are also wrong by definition.

I haven't been active in the church (my mothers family were very early members for many years, and several have served as GAs over the years) but I'll still stand toe to toe with anyone who picks on its beliefs or tell blatant lies about it.

im mall for respect , to everyone , ive just gotten cynical of the various religious oddities and extremism of thinking , im not certain why we continue some things that obviously separate us in the end , 

Obviously that is a very good question.  That's one of the basic reasons I stopped going to church: too many friends with beliefs that are NOT worth losing a friend over for the sake of an argument with no winners.

A quote from a man I worked with long ago: "Don't spend my money!  I'll go to my church and you go to yours!"  Someone who was living on the streets of Pomona, CA had told him he "needed" to contribute a large percentage of his quite significant earnings to those who had never worked a second in their entire lives.

When the minor dogmatic and ideological differences are more important and argued over than the shared message of the different sects I figure they forgot the reason they showed up.

When my wife's priest asked why I didn't convert I told him God doesn't care which of his houses I worship in he just wants me to show up.

i like those thought guys , ive found solice in knowing God doesnt care what church or even if im in a church as long as i live right as he directed and keep him in mind in everything i do ,and say , 

"thank you God for thinking about me , im alive and doing fine" 

Archived