Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 45 convertable


Recommended Posts

Revolver Calibers
- Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or 
percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber. 
- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are 
not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-
40, and .45 Colt.

 

Although the rules don't specifically prohibit this, the 45 ACP was developed well after our 1899 cutoff date for our firearms and was never available in a revolver prior to 1899. Yes, there are revolvers available in that caliber today, (I own one) I personally think it is outside the realm of cowboy. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 45ACP is only illegal in Classic Cowboy/girl, as that category requires rimmed cartridges.   SHB 26.2, pg 7.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Revolver Calibers
- Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or 
percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber. 
- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are 
not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-
40, and .45 Colt.

 

Although the rules don't specifically prohibit this, the 45 ACP was developed well after our 1899 cutoff date for our firearms and was never available in a revolver prior to 1899. Yes, there are revolvers available in that caliber today, (I own one) I personally think it is outside the realm of cowboy. 

45 acp isn’t my first choice. I like 45 cowboy special then 45 colt. Can’t get brass for either one. I have a ton of 45 acp brass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The cited rule does not "except" 45 ACP.  It just doesn't mention it.  Let us not forget 357 Mangleum and 38 Special and 44 Mangleum aren't exactly of the era we portray.  The other advantage of a 45 ACP cylinder is you can shoot C45S in it equally well.

 

PLUS ONE for Griff.  45 ACP is only a no-no for Classique Cattle Person.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905 said:

45 acp isn’t my first choice. I like 45 cowboy special then 45 colt. Can’t get brass for either one. I have a ton of 45 acp brass. 

Keep an eye on Starline's website, when they allow backorders, put yours in, order a thousand or so... usually shipped fairly quickly.  It's a huge pain to run out!  (Or so I seem to recall the last time I did, 30+ years ago)!:P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm, and .45 acp are all legal cartridges. I would think an 1895 Nagant with a .32 acp conversion cylinder would be legal. Cimarron's 1862 .380 acp conversion...? I think it was specifically disallowed.

I have 4 Birdshead NV's in .45 acp only (not convertibles). If you think they're not Cowboy, you should hear how some folks whine when I shoot them in FCD or FCGF. :lol: Rules is rules.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a pair of Uberti Cattleman Hombre pistols in 45 Colt that I purchased 45 ACP cylinders for. Dropped right in, and shoot just fine. I can shoot 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, or 45 ACP out of those pistols. They are not my go to pistols, but I shoot them a couple times a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are 
not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-
40
, and .45 Colt.

 

The first problem is the SHB's inconsistency by mixing caliber and cartridges. IMHO, it should either read "caliber.... , examples .32, .38, .44, .45" or "cartridge..., examples 32-20, ...."

 

The second problem is the vague term "commonly available".

 

Some former discussions regarding those topics:

 

Edit: I wouldn't call 45 ACP a caliber commonly available in revolvers. But I wouldnt' care if someone uses it (or 9mm Luger or whatever) at a match. Maybe, the SHB could/should be revised to be a bit more clear.

Edited by Equanimous Phil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

 

The first problem is the SHB's inconsistency by mixing caliber and cartridges. IMHO, it should either read "caliber.... , examples .32, .38, .44, .45" or "cartridge..., examples 32-20, ...."

 

The second problem is the vague term "commonly available".

And the third problem, mentioned in one of the above quoted topics, is the "Glossary of Terms" in the SHB defining "commonly available": 

Commonly available – obtainable by anyone given ordinary circumstances with ordinary means. 

 

The phrase is mentioned only four times in the manual; once referring to adjustable rear revolver sights, twice in the phrase "must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers", and once in the Glossary of Terms.

 

Just as .25-20 and .56-.50 are listed as exceptions for rifle calibers, it would take only one additional sentence to state: "Except in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl, 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm, and .45acp are legal cartridges". Or not legal cartridges, whatever. As relatively common as .45acp has become in convertible revolvers and rifle conversions, it would really suck at this point if it were ruled not legal anymore.

Edited by Three Foot Johnson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a (OMV) Vaquero convertible in '99.  I had an issue with the 45acp cylinder that I never heard of anyone else having, and may not affect a NMV convertible anyway, but is easy to check for.  The acp rounds headspace on the case mouth, and in my gun some 45acp brass was too long and would drag on the recoil shield.  Once I figured this out, I would just measure the length of the empty brass before I reloaded it.  I don't remember what the magic length was, but about 10-20% of the brass was too long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I bought a (OMV) Vaquero convertible in '99.  I had an issue with the 45acp cylinder that I never heard of anyone else having, and may not affect a NMV convertible anyway, but is easy to check for.  The acp rounds headspace on the case mouth, and in my gun some 45acp brass was too long and would drag on the recoil shield.  Once I figured this out, I would just measure the length of the empty brass before I reloaded it.  I don't remember what the magic length was, but about 10-20% of the brass was too long.

Although it's an extra step, and is a PITA, after I reload a batch of 45 ACP for my cowboy pistols I take one of the ACP cylinders out of the pistol frame and drop every loaded round into it to make sure they chamber correctly. Rather do it then instead of having trouble at the loading table.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Although it's an extra step, and is a PITA, after I reload a batch of 45 ACP for my cowboy pistols I take one of the ACP cylinders out of the pistol frame and drop every loaded round into it to make sure they chamber correctly. Rather do it then instead of having trouble at the loading table.

That would not have helped in my case.  They chamber fine, but the brass is slightly too long so sticks out the back of the cylinder enough to drag on the recoil shield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.45 ACP has been commonly used in revolvers since 1917. I mean 300,000 were produced just in WW1.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That would not have helped in my case.  They chamber fine, but the brass is slightly too long so sticks out the back of the cylinder enough to drag on the recoil shield.

That's why I drop them into a cylinder to check and make sure they chamber correctly, and not stick up to high to drag on the recoil shield.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

That's why I drop them into a cylinder to check and make sure they chamber correctly, and not stick up to high to drag on the recoil shield.

Okay.  I think I got it.  I plunk 44wcf shells into a cylinder like that to make sure they chamber but on the acp's I didn't think you would be able to see if one is sticking out of the cylinder chamber .001 more than another.  I also loaded these acp rounds just for the Vaquero, so I didn't want any that wouldn't chamber, therefore measured the brass length before loading.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you chamber the 45 ACP in the test cylinder just the thickness of the rim of the 45 ACP cartridge should be outside the chamber. If you see any of the cartridge extraction groove outside the chamber it'll be too long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

When Schoolmarm started in SASS, she used my pair of Blackhawk convertibles with.45 acp cylinders.  She liked them because I could load them lighter than my 45 Colt loads.  I didn’t like loading the Colt cartridges that light and it was simple to keep her lighter loaded pistol rounds separate.

 

 

 

Edited by Blackwater 53393
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I shoot a pair of New Vaquero birdshead revolvers in .45 ACP. I run all my .45 ACP cartridges through a Lee Factory Crimp die and it almost completely eliminated ammo problems. 

 

Before I got the Lee die my Vaquero revolvers would frequently reject cartridges that my 1911s had zero problems digesting.

Edited by Philosopher
elaboration
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dee,

 

Perfectly legal for SASS, except as previously mentioned, Classic Cowboy.  Go ahead and shoot the .45 ACPs.  I had a pair of .38-40 Rugers that came with a pair of .40 S&W cylinders.  I hardly ever shot them with the .38-40 cylinders.  The .40 S&W cylinders worked great.  I did have to get a .40 chamber checker to make sure all my ammo fit, but I loved shooting them.

 

I currently have two "single" Rugers with double cylinders: .45 LC/.45 ACP and .357/9 mm.  I enjoy shooting both of these, but I haven't bothered looking for another one of either to make a pair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.