SASS Wire Forum

Annual Yellowstone Bison Petting Competition

Sedalia Dave

Bison, wolves, and bears need a 100-yard safety zone. They have that posted everywhere and on everything.

Around 1954, my parents took me through Yellowstone, camping, and we experienced Bear Jams with mental giants getting out of their cars and feeding the bears.

One woman, placed her child on a bears back, for a photo, while the bear was eating, then complained to her husband the child was sliding off the hump on the bears back.

We drove out of the area, but my Father rolled down the window and spoke quietly to the idiot woman, telling her, "Lady. That's a Grizzly"

Ya just can't seem to stop dumbassery :angry:

I took a couple Arkansas relatives to Yellowstone a couple years back, and we stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs. There was one big ol' 6x6 bull elk the locals dubbed "Touchdown", because...

There's an intersection with a stop sign, and Touchdown had his harem on the lawn nearby. A ranger was at the intersection waving cars through the stop, telling them to keep going, DON'T STOP. That worked as well as you might expect, and cars would slow down to take a picture of this monster anyway, and if they kept moving, he pretty much ignored them, but when one would stop, that big ol' boy would take it as a challenge, put his head down, charge, cave the side of their car in, and everyone watching from a safe vantage point would throw their arms up and yell, "TOUCHDOWN". :lol: 

It’s really too bad there can’t be a nationwide test of common sense. Anyone failing gets moved into a city where they can be corralled and left there….Oh, wait…never mind. No test needed. Just fencing. Lots and lots of fencing. 

A cousin of mine killed a bull buffalo (bison if you're particular) and has a head mount on his wall. Most of the wall. No joke, it is almost the size of a La-z-boy. Those things are HUGE!  I saw a show with Andrew Zimmern once (a la Travel Channel before it became the Ghost Channel) where he killed a big bull buff. Guides loaded it up with a winch truck. They got it back to the ranch hq and hung him up on an A frame winch rig of some sort. IIRC the things guts weighed over 300 lbs.

JHC

42 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I took a couple Arkansas relatives to Yellowstone a couple years back, and we stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs. There was one big ol' 6x6 bull elk the locals dubbed "Touchdown", because...

There's an intersection with a stop sign, and Touchdown had his harem on the lawn nearby. A ranger was at the intersection waving cars through the stop, telling them to keep going, DON'T STOP. That worked as well as you might expect, and cars would slow down to take a picture of this monster anyway, and if they kept moving, he pretty much ignored them, but when one would stop, that big ol' boy would take it as a challenge, put his head down, charge, cave the side of their car in, and everyone watching from a safe vantage point would throw their arms up and yell, "TOUCHDOWN". :lol: 

If you ever want to play a round of golf in Estes Park Co. you might want to let this guy play through.

JHC

513.JPG

512.JPG

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Around 1954, my parents took me through Yellowstone, camping, and we experienced Bear Jams with mental giants getting out of their cars and feeding the bears.

One woman, placed her child on a bears back, for a photo, while the bear was eating, then complained to her husband the child was sliding off the hump on the bears back.

We drove out of the area, but my Father rolled down the window and spoke quietly to the idiot woman, telling her, "Lady. That's a Grizzly"

And if you think she was bad, what do you think the 4th or 5th generation removed from her will be like?  (*shudder*):huh:

I at one time I warned people anymore I sit back a watch . 
  I was going to Cody nite series rodeo and came i through Yellowstone. Some lady out there in flip flops and a yapping dog getting between momma and calf . I laughed told her husband I ride bulls pro and I wouldn’t be where she is . 

We get a couple a year here in Custer state park  there is plenty of warning let the Buffalo have fun . As for the people you are warned  this ain’t the city you come from 

and never come close to a single Bull they are ones that the herd don’t want because they are to mean 

C420681C-4B48-4F0A-8B64-30309C754553.jpeg

2E5AD0E7-D240-467A-B204-6CB5A6C3B811.jpeg

F8C9E5CC-C183-459F-BEE2-53C23B68BA1D.png

11D89B61-C91E-4CB4-B412-3D4BAD37719C.jpeg

76C63B83-FD47-41BA-A664-7C87B17CB8A2.jpeg

DA9B3C25-835C-447C-BF42-561A1B90C001.jpeg

It looked to me like the guy that the Buffalo got was trying to tell the two idiots with the kid to move away from the bull and actually grabbed that kid away from being trampled or worse.

I shot a Buffalo bull several years ago with a .53 cal Hawken plains rifle, he weighed just over 1700 lbs after he had been gutted, they usually appear to be docile because there isn't anything they are afraid of.

kR

I didn't see this happen, but heard about it in a hunting camp:  Two idiots driving a very expensive sports car (can't recall the name, but it had a fiberglass body), were up in Yellowstone.  They would drive up close behind a black bear and lean on the horn, scaring poor bruin out of its wits.  They did this a couple of times, and then tried the same thing with a griz.  When the horn sounded, Ol' Ephraim jumped up, spun around and brought both front paws down on the hood of the car, raking it with his claws. Having wreaked his vengence, the griz dropped down and slowly ambled away. The park ranger who witnessed the event, said he was laughing so hard, he didn't even bother to arrest the two stupes.  He figured the monetary damage to the vehicle was far beyond any fines that would be levied. :lol:

3 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

509.JPG

28 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

OOOO, that reindeer is so cute...is it Donner or Blitzen?:rolleyes:

Neither; its either Stomper, Hooker or Gorer. They are triplets so it is hard to tell them apart.

5 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

THAT reminds me of another occasion, this one in Wood Buffalo National Park near Edmonton, Alberta., again in the 1954/55 era, camping with my parents.

Driving through the Buffalo paddock, signs everywhere; STAY IN YOUR CAR and BUFFALO HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY etc.

We drove over the cattle gate into the paddock, behind a car from Ontario; Mom, Dad and a couple of kids in that car.

Buffalo all over the road and Mr. Ontario driver decides they seen enough of the buffalo, that surround his car and starts blowing his horn. 

My Father says "OH OH" When that doesn't clear the drivers path, he slowly creeps the car forward and starts bumping them.

BIG buffalo takes exception and starts butting the guys car amid a lot of horn blowing and screaming from inside the car.

Buff finally got bored and wandered off, leaving the car with shattered side windows and bashed in doors.

We got the wife and two kids into our car and drove them out to the meet the Park Rangers.

I got to thinking, stupid people can be useful. 

They're the answer to a lot questions. 

Answer: A stupid person!!

1.   Who was the first person to drink beer to find out if it tasted good?

2.  Who was the first person to drink coffee to find out if it tasted good?

3.  Who was the first person to lick a frog for whatever reason?

13 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

OOOO, that reindeer is so cute...is it Donner or Blitzen?:rolleyes:

Ummm ... dunno ... I figured Santa had reindeer hauling him around because they provide excellent security ...

"Donner" is a mistranslation of the actual Germanic name, "Dunder" ... which means THUNDER ...

"Blitzen" means lightning ...

If you have the wheel horse (wheel deer?) positions occupied by Thunder and Lightning,  and having seen what a "mere" whitetail can do to a good hound dog ...

... I don't think I'd care to get very close to any of 'em!

21 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Cleansing the gene pool.

beat me to it.

I worked a summer at Yellowstone and you would not believe the things I saw people do.  Saw lots of property damage and one man arrested for causing the death of bear, but somehow I never saw anyone hurt even though many were actively asking for it.

Unless you are breaking the law and carrying a BIG gun, almost everything in the wild has more and better weapons than you do, is carrying them everywhere, and has a lot more experience with their use that you do with yours.

That's also true of many domestic animals.  I nearly lost an eye to a bantam hen when it wasn't much bigger than she was.

I have told this one on here a few times so I am paraphrasing it. Besides, I am lazy today. :D

Back in ‘86 myself and 3 friends went to Yosemite in the late summer, early Fall to do some rock climb scouting and goofing off. We had this plan to determine if we could climb El Capitan. After 4 days together we decided we weren’t a good enough team to do it. Anyway, moving on.

The first morning we were driving into the valley the third or fourth car ahead of us stopped in the road. They stopped to look at the Elk (8-10) that were in a small clearing to the right and they were about 50’ from the side of the road, well, the big male was. He had an impressive rack. 
The dad (driver) got out of the car to go get a closer look. We had our windows down and I was in the front passenger seat so I got a front row seat to the event. 
The guy tells “mom” to “get the video camera out” and “hey kids, watch this”. 
He then proceeded to do this “Toro, Toro” bull fighting dance as he approached the bull. Without raising my voice too much I yelled over and told him not to do that and to get back in his damn car and to quit holding up traffic. He ignored me. I told him that the bill would “(mess) up his planet if he got too close.” I wasn’t the only one yelling at him. He waved back as if to say “Don’t bother me”. I then said something like “It’s your (butt) dip(stick).”

Mr Bull was head down, plodding the ground with his front right hoof as the man slowly approached now with jacket in hand pretending to bull fight the elk. The man was close. The bull raised his head. The man looked back at his wife and asked “Are you getting this?” He then turned. The bull raised its head. The man leaned forward and touched the bull’s nose. He turned his head to look back at wifey and all hell broke loose. 
The bull lowered it’s head and shook. The man bounced around within the rack like a rag doll then the bull liters ran over him then turned and snorted and the small herd bounded into the trees. 
Long story short. The man had a broken arm, a concussion and a nice fine along with a hefty ambulance and medical bill. AND it was all caught on tape for him and his family to enjoy time and time again. :lol:

At least, I think they got to keep the tape. 

I love it when morons get their due! It shoulda killed him for the other and future morons to watch.

Archived