SASS Wire Forum

Grumpy old farts with Guns

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Hoping you start feeling better Blackwater.

The crazy part is that I feel great!!  My hoof is solid and gets better every day.  I’m just DAMNED frustrated with not being able to go and to do the things I’m accustomed to doing!!

Just about the time I get the foot doin’ what it’s supposed to do, I find myself staggering around because my balance is worse and I have to sit down before I flop over somewhere!  No problem driving and I can sit to cook or fold clothes, (I’ve always done my own laundry) but I hafta’ hold onto something to stand and work or use a cane, (I have several) to walk any distance.

Lack of patience is probably my biggest malady right now!  But it sure makes me grumpy to not just jump up and go or grab and snatch when the mood strikes me!!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The crazy part is that I feel great!!  My hoof is solid and gets better every day.  I’m just DAMNED frustrated with not being able to go and to do the things I’m accustomed to doing!!

Just about the time I get the foot doin’ what it’s supposed to do, I find myself staggering around because my balance is worse and I have to sit down before I flop over somewhere!  No problem driving and I can sit to cook or fold clothes, (I’ve always done my own laundry) but I hafta’ hold onto something to stand and work or use a cane, (I have several) to walk any distance.

Lack of patience is probably my biggest malady right now!  But it sure makes me grumpy to not just jump up and go or grab and snatch when the mood strikes me!!

Have you tried the simple vertigo exercises?  Another trick that helps for me is sitting still for a moment when I first get up and shaking my head briskly a few times.  Yours sounds more severe than my worst attacks.  When I have one of my really bad ones, I'll do the exercises and sleep the night upright in my favorite chair.  That helps as well.  Mine comes and goes, sometimes with considerable time between episodes.  Understand and sympathize! Wish you better luck ahead!

• Like 1

Yeah. The exercises don’t really work for this!  It’s almost like intoxication. I’m fairly certain that it’s the result of the drugs, particularly since the warnings on the medications themselves say so on the packaging.  What I may do if it doesn’t improve, is move my dosing to before bedtime. As the day wears on, the symptoms lessen.  The meds work better, numbers wize, if taken in the morning, but if I can’t function effectively, they’re only slightly less effective when taken in the evening.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I can sure empathize with the patience part. Hope you get that balance thing straightened out, surely sucks. Glad to hear the hoof is getting better. You've had some rough times Pard, hang in there.

EH

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yeah. The exercises don’t really work for this!  It’s almost like intoxication. I’m fairly certain that it’s the result of the drugs, particularly since the warnings on the medications themselves say so on the packaging.  What I may do if it doesn’t improve, is move my dosing to before bedtime. As the day wears on, the symptoms lessen.  The meds work better, numbers wize, if taken in the morning, but if I can’t function effectively, they’re only slightly less effective when taken in the evening.

I've found that with some of meds as well, switched to before bed and seem to do better than in the AM. My problem is I don't really trust my Doc. and due to insurance I don't have a lot of choices. Then the news makes me grumpy!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

I can sure empathize with the patience part. Hope you get that balance thing straightened out, surely sucks. Glad to hear the hoof is getting better. You've had some rough times Pard, hang in there.

EH

Really more aggravating than anything!  I’m almost never under the weather and with a little adaptation I’ve been able to get the necessary stuff done!  I even get out in the shop when it’s essential.  What’s frustrating is that I have to let my “want to”s slide to eliminate any risk of causing a setback, or else I have to take so many precautions and make so many compromises that my fun stuff becomes work and almost drudgery.  Then it ain’t fun anymore!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Really more aggravating than anything!  I’m almost never under the weather and with a little adaptation I’ve been able to get the necessary stuff done!  I even get out in the shop when it’s essential.  What’s frustrating is that I have to let my “want to”s slide to eliminate any risk of causing a setback, or else I have to take so many precautions and make so many compromises that my fun stuff becomes work and almost drudgery.  Then it ain’t fun anymore!!

My biggest aggravation the last few months, is ambition. Things I need and want to do, but just don't feel like it. I force myself to do the necessary, but sure slack on the like to do's. Got worse after COVID, which was pretty mild. Our "golden years", gotta love it. :). Beats the alternative however!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went out yesterday to buy a hammer, ( I have several, but this was one I’d find useful and was supposedly “on sale”) and a new floor jack. They’d raised the price on the hammer and I wouldn’t go the doubled price. The advertised floor jack was less than my needs. I bought a different jack that was as much more expensive as the difference in the price of the hammer and told the management of my displeasure and disappointment.

GRUMP!!

Both of my grandsons are going to be here this afternoon and the youngest will spend the weekend!!

BETTER!!

ALSO!!  Changed my medication schedule from mornings to bedtime and my vertigo has subsided substantially!!

The lawn is flooded so, GET YER BUTTS OFF THE LAWN!!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Come on Grumps gather up all Yer pumps let's clear Blackwater's yard of Water...

Before it turns in to an Ice rink, or forget it and bring skates and Hockey sticks....

Merry Christmas Blackwater...

• Like 1

Thanks fellers!!  Just got over that damned cold!!  Yippee!!

Went this morning to the audiologist and got tested for hearing aids.  ‘Bout broke the bank buying the damned things, but I’ll be able to hear Schoolmarm yell at me now!

We ARE supposed to get a little snow for Christmas, so maybe the grump meter will stay on the low side for a while!!

• Like 3

Ain't it funny that loss of hearing seems to be mostly, in the range which corresponds with the range of his Wife's speaking range.... 

Jabez Cowboy 

Edited by Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Ain't it funny that loss of hearing seems to be mostly, in the range which corresponds with the range of his Wife's speaking range.... 

Jabez Cowboy 

It ain’t a bit funny!!  I have to listen to her holler at me for not listening, even if it’s just I didn’t understand what she said.  It’s frustrating to have to ask my grandsons to repeat what they just said ‘cause I can’t tell the difference between “floor” and “door”!

It DOES get humorous sometimes, and we’ve laughed at a lot of silly incidents that resulted from my not understanding what was said, but it wears really thin after a while.

Gonna’ take about a week to get my new ears, but I’m totally ready to get on with it!

Well now!

The Dornat Dernat DERMIN 

DAG NAB IT!!! SKIN DOCTOR called to let me know the chunk she hacked off my face came back from the Lab and it was Be-Nine. 

I asked if it might go to Be-Ten and she told me NO!

Amazing what they got these service animals trained to do now.

I sure hope that dog knows what he's doing though.

Now get off my snow covered lawn!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great nooz!!  Heading into the holidays it couldn’t be better!!

I gots plenty to GRUMP about, but it just don’t seem like it’s worth sharing tonight!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SO!!  I tried to keep the GRUMP on the back burner!!  I really really REALLY tried!Things were rocking along smoothly and then Tuesday the damned septic system starts backing up!!  I’m not up to crawling under the house to snake the trunk line just yet and Hatfield has an ear infection, so he ain’t able either!

I call a plumber, (actually called several) and the soonest anybody can get here to deal with it is today, (Thursday)!!

This afternoon, the guy gets here, cleans the drain line, advises us the the forty year old septic system will need some attention, charges us a couple hundred bucks, and wishes us a Merry Christmas as he heads out the door!!

At least we got that out of the way before the holiday!!

Just GRUMP all ta’ hell ‘n’ back!!

Ah HELL!!  MERRY CHRISTMAS to all you misfit Grumps!!

NOW!! Get yer butts off the dang lawn!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm Dreaming of a Warmer Christmas, We have sure been COLD lately...

Don't mind da snow as much as the really Cold weather...

Plan on being in Norther Uganda in a Month on a mission trip ...

Jabez Cowboy 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I'm Dreaming of a Warmer Christmas, We have sure been COLD lately...

Don't mind da snow as much as the really Cold weather...

Plan on being in Norther Uganda in a Month on a mission trip ...

Jabez Cowboy 

Safe travels my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

My grandmother seldom if ever swore.  When she did, it was always “Damn! Six damns!!”

Thats what I’m saying this morning, (along with many other expletives)!!

Went to the foot doctor yesterday to check on a tiny bleed on the sole of my bad foot.  Another ulcer has developed and I’m back on that damned knee scooter for another lap or two.

He cleaned up the damage and will start a new kind of treatment next week.

No apparent danger, but this will likely take me to six years of dealing with this aggravating malady!

JUST GRUMP ALL TO HELL!!

• Sad 4

Well, hell.  My cell phone...my ONLY phone...is not working, my car won't start (AGAIN!!), all of my neighbors have gone to work and I'm too crippled up to walk anywhere.

This just stinks!!!

I have places to go and can't and tomorrow I have four different appointments at the VA to sort out my physical problems.

Gonna be interesting at the very least.

• Sad 3

59 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My grandmother seldom if ever swore.  When she did, it was always “Damn! Six damns!!”

Thats what I’m saying this morning, (along with many other expletives)!!

Went to the foot doctor yesterday to check on a tiny bleed on the sole of my bad foot.  Another ulcer has developed and I’m back on that damned knee scooter for another lap or two.

He cleaned up the damage and will start a new kind of treatment next week.

No apparent danger, but this will likely take me to six years of dealing with this aggravating malady!

JUST GRUMP ALL TO HELL!!

Sorry to hear that Blackwater. 6 years is an awful long time. Wishing you the best with this new grump Pard.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Sorry to hear that Blackwater. 6 years is an awful long time. Wishing you the best with this new grump Pard.

I enjoyed three months of freedom from the scooter! I’m thankful for that.  It seems like I get about three months at a time, sometimes twice a year and then something else crops up.

I stay positive about it because there’s new treatments and medications showing up all the time and I just have to be patient so’s it’ll heal up again.  Hopefully, quicker, better, and longer the next time!

I haven’t spent any time in a hospital in nearly two years. The new treatment won’t require any hospital time and so long as I don’t get any new infections or cause any new injuries, I’m hoping to be back on both feet again before shooting season gets going full throttle again!  

Maybe I’ll be back on my feet before I forget how to walk again. I mean, I’d just started getting around pretty well this time.

HARRUMPH!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I enjoyed three months of freedom from the scooter! I’m thankful for that.  It seems like I get about three months at a time, sometimes twice a year and then something else crops up.

I stay positive about it because there’s new treatments and medications showing up all the time and I just have to be patient so’s it’ll heal up again.  Hopefully, quicker, better, and longer the next time!

I haven’t spent any time in a hospital in nearly two years. The new treatment won’t require any hospital time and so long as I don’t get any new infections or cause any new injuries, I’m hoping to be back on both feet again before shooting season gets going full throttle again!  

Maybe I’ll be back on my feet before I forget how to walk again. I mean, I’d just started getting around pretty well this time.

HARRUMPH!!

That's a serious big HARRUMPH!!

Hope the new treatments help, sounds like you've you been a trooper with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not grumpy today! It’s 5:30 pm CST! I turned 70 years of age this minute!!

I had lunch today with two friends that I started the 7th grade with!  One is one of the current drummers in my band. The other is a former guitar player in my band and was once lead guitar for Charlie Daniels. 

We spent more than two and a half hours, eating, drinking, and talking about old times, other friends, and the things we’ve done for the last 58 years!!

I am mostly healthy, as are both of them, and we’re all reasonably comfortable with our situations.

We kept a table tied up for a good long while, so we tipped the server really well.  She even brought out a huge dish of ice cream with “Happy Birthday” spelled out in chocolate sauce that the three of us shared.

As an aside, I really HATE when someone puts up a “sad” emoji as a comment when I say something about a health issue because those things don’t get me down!  They reinforce my determination to beat those issues when I am confronted with ‘em!  You guys and girls are my support system/group!!

SO!  If I mention that blasted foot, it means I have gone on the offensive again and I’m probably just venting a little out of frustration.  Smack me or kick me to get me moving and fuss at me for messing up again!  Just don’t feel sorry for me, ‘cause I’m not going to let any of this crap get me down!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fair enough Blackwater,

We don't have a problem giving you a quick kick in the slats!

Seenager.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Fair enough Blackwater,

We don't have a problem giving you a quick kick in the slats!

Seenager.jpg

THERE YA GO!!

THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKIN’ ABOUT!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Blackwater's Birthday!!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday Pard!

Many Happy Returns!

538608fd61adc719882b6baf3834205a.gif

On 1/12/2023 at 4:52 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Not grumpy today! It’s 5:30 pm CST! I turned 70 years of age this minute!!

I had lunch today with two friends that I started the 7th grade with!  One is one of the current drummers in my band. The other is a former guitar player in my band and was once lead guitar for Charlie Daniels. 

We spent more than two and a half hours, eating, drinking, and talking about old times, other friends, and the things we’ve done for the last 58 years!!

I am mostly healthy, as are both of them, and we’re all reasonably comfortable with our situations.

We kept a table tied up for a good long while, so we tipped the server really well.  She even brought out a huge dish of ice cream with “Happy Birthday” spelled out in chocolate sauce that the three of us shared.

As an aside, I really HATE when someone puts up a “sad” emoji as a comment when I say something about a health issue because those things don’t get me down!  They reinforce my determination to beat those issues when I am confronted with ‘em!  You guys and girls are my support system/group!!

SO!  If I mention that blasted foot, it means I have gone on the offensive again and I’m probably just venting a little out of frustration.  Smack me or kick me to get me moving and fuss at me for messing up again!  Just don’t feel sorry for me, ‘cause I’m not going to let any of this crap get me down!!

I missed this somedamnhow, so here's a later that it should be Happy Birthday, KID.  JFWIW I was 70 once, but I wasn't very good at it.

BTW, you look at these little setbacks the same way I do:  I can't do much about it and I can write them off as a new experience, so I just carve another notch in my pistol and carry on the best I can.

I've had a wonderful (for the most part), very interesting, and vastly better life than most folks, so don't you dare feel sorry for me, unless you want to explain how an 81 year old busted, twisted, and bent old man kicked the bejabbers out of you and laughed about it when I got all stiffened up from the exercise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I missed this somedamnhow, so here's a later that it should be Happy Birthday, KID.  JFWIW I was 70 once, but I wasn't very good at it.

BTW, you look at these little setbacks the same way I do:  I can't do much about it and I can write them off as a new experience, so I just carve another notch in my pistol and carry on the best I can.

I've had a wonderful (for the most part), very interesting, and vastly better life than most folks, so don't you dare feel sorry for me, unless you want to explain how an 81 year old busted, twisted, and bent old man kicked the bejabbers out of you and laughed about it when I got all stiffened up from the exercise.

I’d have put in a laugh emoji too if it’d let me put up both.

As far as kickin’ my tail, I reckon we’d both wind up in the emergency room getting each other’s foot out the other’s backside!

AND LAUGH ABOUT IT FOR WEEKS WHEN IT WAS ALL OVER!! :o :lol:

• Like 1