SASS Wire Forum

It finally happened..........

Eleven years ago when I stared this sport I purchased a pair of Uberti Cattlemen Hombre 1873 pistols in .357 mag. For the first 5-6 years they were my go to guns and were used quite extensively until until I purchased my Ruger Vaquero's and other Uberti's in 45 Colt & 32-20. Yesterday I took them to a shoot and everything was fine until the last pistol round on stage 5. Round didn't go off so I cycled it again still no pop so I declaired it dead and took the miss. At the unloading table the unfired round had a primer ding, but at the side of the primer where it meets the brass case. Strange but hoped it was a fluke. The last stage I'm at the loading table and loaded the pistol, closed the gate, cocked and dropped the hammer, checked for empty chamber under hammer but there was a round there. Went to put it back to half cock but the cylinder spun as I was grabbing the pistol in my left hand. Not supposed to do that. Short story the flat trigger spring broke that holds the bolt up, which I have heard is common in the Cattleman. First time I have every had a firearm break at a match. Lucky I guess. A pard loaned me a pistol so I could finish the match. I ordered 3 replacement flat springs, and also found the new wire type spring at Wolff's so ordered 3 of them also as they are supposed to be more reliable. I figure after the fix the broken pistol I better replace the spring in the other pistol also.

Archived