SASS Wire Forum

Favorite “store bought” Sandwiches

Pat Riot

Comments regarding “condiments” in SDJ’s tomato sammich thread got me thinking.
What is or are your favorite sandwiches from “store bought” sources.  What I mean by “store bought” is from a store, restaurant or shop, and it does not have to be a franchise or a chain. It can be a local place that makes great sammiches. 

My favorite, hands down, is Jersey Mike’s #13 Original Italian made “Mike’s Way” with mayo. 

#13 The Original Italian

Provolone, ham, prosciuttini, cappacuolo, salami, and pepperoni

image.thumb.png.480f8d738cd6701ce26e8da0f899e6d6.png

A local place called Guido's Pizza make a marvelous Italian sandwich that i get about once  a month.  I buy it there, and watch TV at home and stuff myself with one of there sandwiches and sarsaparilla.

They make a tolerable thin crust pizza, too.

They add extra mozzarella on everything and I ask for even more. 

7 minutes ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Yeah, but go bigger !

Oh, yeah! Ya gotta get the “giant” size. :)

For Ann and I, our favorite on the road running errands and our stomachs growl go to meal:

Snip-it_1656855719290.thumb.jpg.c639493f390ada35f28b81fb6a420b5a.jpg

2014? Wow. Shows how long it's been since I've been to an Arby's. I didn't even know they made gyros.

Of course, I also did not know that heroes was difficult to pronounce.

These days, I don't have a favorite place for sandwiches as they have all gone out of existence. Back in the day, there was...

Concadora's Italian Restaurant @ Searstown Plaza, Clearwater Fl. - Absolutely the best Italian sausage/parmesan sub ever made. Everything (except the parmesan) was homemade. Heart attack special but damn, it was good. Went out of business in the late 90's as the Plaza (and Sears) began to age and the area around it became undesirable to be in after dark. 

Great Subs in Holiday Fl. - Great steak and cheese hoagie. Plentiful grilled steak with cheese. I just like steak and cheese on it, none of that other stuff. Another heart attack special. The place is still there but changed ownership in the early 2000's and now sucks.

Philly Hoagie Shop in Clearwater Fl. - Excellent Philly cheesesteak hoagie (better than Great Subs) and homemade Meatball Sub. The meatballs were homemade, the size of a handball with just the right amount of sauce and cheese. It was owned by the Mahoney's. I grew up and played baseball with John and his little brother. The Philadelphia Phillies baseball team would go there during spring training regularly during the 70's, 80's and 90's. Being in downtown Clearwater, they eventually went out of business as the area and demographics changed. Simply put, people didn't go downtown anymore, they went to Clearwater and Countryside Malls instead. They went out of business in the early 80's.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

54 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

These days, I don't have a favorite place for sandwiches as they have all gone out of existence. Back in the day, there was...

Concadora's Italian Restaurant @ Searstown Plaza, Clearwater Fl. - Absolutely the best Italian sausage/parmesan sub ever made. Everything (except the parmesan) was homemade. Heart attack special but damn, it was good. Went out of business in the late 90's as the Plaza (and Sears) began to age and the area around it became undesirable to be in after dark. 

Great Subs in Holiday Fl. - Great steak and cheese hoagie. Plentiful grilled steak with cheese. I just like steak and cheese on it, none of that other stuff. Another heart attack special. The place is still there but changed ownership in the early 2000's and now sucks.

Philly Hoagie Shop in Clearwater Fl. - Excellent Philly cheesesteak hoagie (better than Great Subs) and homemade Meatball Sub. The meatballs were homemade, the size of a handball with just the right amount of sauce and cheese. It was owned by the Mahoney's. I grew up and played baseball with John and his little brother. The Philadelphia Phillies baseball team would go there during spring training regularly during the 70's, 80's and 90's. Being in downtown Clearwater, they eventually went out of business as the area and demographics changed. Simply put, people didn't go downtown anymore, they went to Clearwater and Countryside Malls instead. They went out of business in the early 80's.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

I really did not want to go out anywhere today but now you got me salivating.

53 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Anywhere in Florida the best sandwiches come from the deli's in Publix.

I don't know about all of them, but they make a real good - what they call - Cuban. It's not really a Cuban, because first it's not on Cuban bread, and second it's not squashed and heated. But it's got the sweet ham and the Spanish roast pork and the dill pickle and the Swiss cheese and the mustardmayo. The price has doubled in the last 10 years, but they're still good.

There’s a place here called Charley’s Philly Steak sandwiches! They also have chicken sandwiches. It’s great!

I gotta go with the original Chick-Fil-A with extra pickles.

Sally B's in Prescott Valley makes a grand corned beef Reuben and I love their half sandwich special with mustard mayo and fries for breakfast. 

I used to love Blimpie's roast beef, but they went out of business about six years ago.

Another very good sandwich is “The Hook & Ladder” at Firehouse Subs. Most of the sandwiches are hot and very tasty. 

image.jpeg.1c1a6d62289d68a1a0fec4d4dca84ff2.jpeg
Hook & Ladder®

Served Fully Involved

Smoked turkey breast, Virginia honey ham, and melted Monterey Jack, served Fully Involved.

Fully Involved® – Loaded complete with mayo, deli mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion, and a kosher dill pickle on the side.

Did you know? All of our hot subs are also available served cold. Just ask!

https://www.firehousesubs.com/our-food/hot-specialty-subs/

There's a little place near us called "The Cheesesteak Restaurant" That makes the absolute best cheesesteak I've ever eaten. Yeah their prices are ridiculous, especially thanks to #LGB, but worth every damn penny. I usually order the cheesesteak with grilled onions and 'shrooms.

Archived