SASS Wire Forum

Pain threshold - Men vs Women?

After the anesthesia wears off lithotripsy is more painful than kidney stones.  I've had stones twice.  The last time lithotripsy was used to break up a stone that would eventually blocked the urethra.  The only symptom was pink urine.  Imaging showed a single huge stone.  Vicodin was prescribed to control pain for use as the anesthesia wore off with instruction not to take more frequently than 25 miniutes.  The Vicodin only took the sharp edge off & only made the pain bearable for less than 10 minutes.  The pain was so bad that I was double up & hyperventilating.  I had some 10mg Dilaudid tabs prescribed by an ER doctor for kidney stone pain should the stone cause pain before the lithotripsy.  I could only keep the 1st Dilaudid tablet down form a couple of minutes.  Before my wife called 911 she called our paramedic son for advice.  He said to take another Dilaudid then monitor my breathing.  It put me into a deep sleep for 14 hours.  When I woke up the pain was controllable with NSAID's.

I always fall back on the humorous analogy:

A woman will go through a painful childbirth and will go through it again happily.

Kick a guy in the cajones and there is no way in hell he’d allow it again. 

I have had some pretty incredible pain in my life. The worst? It’s all subjective, but shattered ribs puncturing my lung was downright incredible pain. 

Ice cold pain? I don’t think that’s a viable test for “pain”. Cold has a numbing effect for some. Also, willpower plays a huge part as does outright tolerance. 

I have some pretty bad recurring pain from an injury. I won't really go into it, but a lady with the same issue told me it was worse than childbirth. I can't speak for that, but it happens several times a year, so maybe I can get a gold star for endurance. I am not one of those "birthing people" modern sociologist speak of, you know, the men with female anatomy, so I would not know. I did pass out one time and went headfirst into the bathroom cabinet. I admit, I do have a sense of humor, and that must have been funny to watch. Kind of like the three hairy lard asses that streaked my marriage to my first redheaded wife in Jamaica. Still wish that was caught on film. It would have been the one thing from that unfortunate union I would have kept.

Anyway, I passed out cold, completely naked, and my head was up in the cabinet under the sink with the rest of me on the cold ceramic tile floor. My wife (redhead #2) kind of flipped out when she ran into the room to investigate the crash. :lol:

I had an injury some years ago. The pain was so bad I tore the bedsheets. The head nurse teared up and made sure I had more morphine more often! It still didn't help. I don't know how I lived through it. You can take all the pain you have too at the time I guess. I'd not sign up again though.

Archived