SASS Wire Forum

California: Legislature Passes and Newsom Signs Anti-Gun Bills

Charlie T Waite

The California Legislature starts their Summer recess today, but not before a busy week full of defiant action against the recent Supreme Court victory in the NRA case of NYSRPA v. Bruen. The legislature passed several anti-gun bills out of policy committees and passed eight anti-gun bills onto the Governor's desk, two of which he signed yesterday immediately after receiving them. With this swift action, the NRA is continuing to fight these proposals and looking at all available options including litigation. Contact Governor Newsom at (916) 445-2841 and urge him to veto AB 311, AB 1594, AB 1769, AB 2156, SB 915, and SB 1327!  

Signed by the Governor

Assembly Bill 1621, introduced by Assembly Member Mike Gipson (D-65), expands what is considered a "precursor part" under existing law and requires serial numbers on those parts. Further, it expands the definition of “firearm” for purposes of criminal and regulatory penalties to include "precursor parts." And finally, it prohibits the possession, transfer, sale, or advertising of milling machines that have the sole or primary purpose of manufacturing firearmsto anyone other than licensed firearm manufacturers or importers. . *AB 1621 was passed with an urgency clause meaning it went into effect immediately.  

Assembly Bill 2571, introduced by Assembly Member Rebecca Bauer-Kahan (D-16), bans advertising or marketing firearms or ammunition in a way that is “attractive to minors,” replacing the language in current law banning specifically “advertis[ing] to minors.” This legislation is so broadly worded that it will be devastating to conservation, safety, and education efforts throughout the state. *AB 2571 was passed with an urgency clause meaning it went into effect immediately.  

Passed by the Legislature and Will Soon Be Eligible for the Governor's Consideration:  

Assembly Bill 311, introduced by Assembly Member Christopher Ward (D-78), prohibits the display or sale of any "precursor firearm parts" at gun shows on the Del Mar Fairgrounds of the 22nd District Agricultural Association.   

Assembly Bill 1594, introduced by Assembly Member Phil Ting (D-19), creates a private right of action against firearm industry members for failure to implement "reasonable" controls. This intentionally vague term can subject the industry to crippling lawsuits regardless of whether there is any actual violation of law. 

Assembly Bill 1769, introduced by Assembly Member Steve Bennett (D-37), prohibits officers, employees, operators, lessees, or licensees of the 31st District Agricultural Association from entering into any agreement to allow for the sale of any firearm, firearm parts, or ammunition on property or buildings that comprise the Ventura County Fair and Event Center or properties in Ventura County and the City of Ventura that are owned, leased, operated, or occupied by the District. 

Assembly Bill 2156, introduced by Assembly Member Buffy Wicks (D-15), reduces the number of firearms a private citizen can manufacture in a year from 50 to no more than three. In addition, it prohibits private citizens from using 3D printing to make firearms, precursor parts, or magazines. 

Senate Bill 915, introduced by Senator Dave Min (D-37), bans state officers or employees, operators, lessees, or licensees from entering into any agreement to allow for the sale of any firearm, firearm precursor parts, or ammunition on property that is owned, leased, occupied, or operated by the state.  

Senate Bill 1327, introduced by Senator Robert Hertzberg (D-18), creates a private right of action that allows individuals to file civil suits against anyone who manufactures, distributes, transports, sells, or imports firearms banned in California, as well as precursor firearm parts. Current law already allows for remedies for illegal activities by firearm dealers and manufacturers. 

Passed by the Assembly Public Safety Committee 

Senate Bill 918, introduced by Senator Anthony Portantino (D-25), was amended to defy the recent Supreme Court ruling placing significant reforms on California's existing conceal carry laws. Some of the provisions include:  significantly expanding gun-free zones, requiring signage for private businesses where you "can" carry, doubling training requirements, and maintaining the ability to do in-person interviews, psychiatric evaluations, and allowing "time place, and manner" restrictions on permits.  *SB 918 will be heard in the Assembly Appropriations Committee on August 3.  

Passed by the Senate Public Safety Committee 

Assembly Bill 1227, introduced by Assembly Member Marc Levine (D-10), was gutted and amended to contain language from Assembly Bill 1223. It places an excise tax of 10% on the sales price of a handgun, and places an 11% excise tax on the sales price of all long guns, rifles, firearm precursor parts and ammunition. These taxes are to be collected from California retailers and placed in a newly created fund for appropriation by the state legislature. *AB 1227 will be heard in the Senate Appropriations Committee on August 1. 

Assembly Bill 2870, introduced by Assembly Member Miguel Santiago (D-53), expands California's gun violence restraining order to allow additional reporters, to now include roommates, dating partners, and additional family members, out to the 4th level of consanguinity and affinity (this could include out to the first cousin in-law or a great-great-grandparent). *AB 2870 has been referred to the Senate Appropriations Committee but has not been scheduled for a hearing at this time.  

Passed by the Assembly Judiciary Committee 

Senate Bill 505, introduced by Senator Nancy Skinner (D-9), makes a person who owns a firearm strictly civilly liable for each incident of property damage, bodily injury, or death resulting from the use of the firearm. Additionally, the legislation requires a firearm owner to obtain and continuously maintain insurance as well as keep evidence of this coverage with the firearm at all times. *SB 505 will be heard in the Assembly Appropriations Committee on August 3.

Same old song. Same old song and dance!!

There should be some way to sanction the state government and legislature for these violations! 

Withhold federal funds until they comply with the law!!

The lunacy continues, in the form of "class warfare" being waged against a segment of the populace that are fundamentally honest, wholesome, and law-abiding.  <_<

At least they're not requiring us to wear an identifying patch stitched to our shirts.  Yet.  :(

If you can stomach it, I recommend watching the below video just to get a feel for what we're up against.  Remember... this is the putative "leader" of the world's fifth largest economy and twelve percent of the country's population - and who is now attempting to influence other states elections.  

Remain vigilant!  :huh:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

If you can stomach it, I recommend watching the below video just to get a feel for what we're up against.  Remember... this is the putative "leader" of the world's fifth largest economy and twelve percent of the country's population - and who is now attempting to influence other states elections.  

Remain vigilant!  :huh:

I can’t use the kind of language appropriate to describe this piece of fecal matter accurately.  I would be banned for life!!

Suffice it to say that he is a poster child for abortion!!  If there was ever a legitimate reason for termination of the gestation process, this is it!!

None if they loose their guns in boating accidents...:rolleyes:...:FlagAm:

The funny thing is I think the "air Gun" manufacturers are ahead of the game - A friend has both a 357 & 45 cal that he hunts with - I got to shoot the 45 - it used both 200gr & 230gr at around 850fps.  He also has a 22 version that he was doing a bit over 1" groups @ 100 yards & over 1000 fps  not sure of the lead weight.  I was seriously impressed.  I have several .177 that go anywhere from 1000 fps to about 1650+/- depending on the pellet used but hadn't looked at these before.  There are even fully auto bb guns & all of this is non-regulated just like black powder firearms.  I am willing to bet they may get around to it sooner or later though.

9 minutes ago, Charlie T Waite said:

The funny thing is I think the "air Gun" manufacturers are ahead of the game - A friend has both a 357 & 45 cal that he hunts with - I got to shoot the 45 - it used both 200gr & 230gr at around 850fps.  He also has a 22 version that he was doing a bit over 1" groups @ 100 yards & over 1000 fps  not sure of the lead weight.  I was seriously impressed.  I have several .177 that go anywhere from 1000 fps to about 1650+/- depending on the pellet used but hadn't looked at these before.  There are even fully auto bb guns & all of this is non-regulated just like black powder firearms.  I am willing to bet they may get around to it sooner or later though.

I'm going to venture a guess that those fall under the "minor attractive" bill.

3 hours ago, Charlie T Waite said:

Except you can't use lead for hunting.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Except you can't use lead for hunting.

From the california Department of Fish and Wildlife:

Are pellet rifles included in the lead ammunition ban?

Since pellet rifles are not firearms, the use of lead projectiles in pellet rifles is not prohibited.

The dummies didn't even think of it~!!   :lol:

When this non-lead nonsense was passed, there was a provision that lead-free ammunition for hunters would be subsidized "if funds are available."

How odd... with a $97 BILLION surplus, there ain't no funds available from the state.  <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Newsom is currently running campaign ads in Florida.
He is grooming himself to run for President in 2024.
No doubt as the "savior" candidate... who will run all of America as California is run today.

Let that sink in.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

No doubt as the "savior" candidate... who will run all of America as California is run today.

Let that sink in.

The only thing that piece of dung should run for is the ocean!!

Nope!!! On second thought, he’d leave a nasty bathtub ring on our beaches!!

Filth like that would make a sesspool puke!!

Let him run to Russia!!

On 7/6/2022 at 5:08 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The lunacy continues, in the form of "class warfare" being waged against a segment of the populace that are fundamentally honest, wholesome, and law-abiding.  <_<

At least they're not requiring us to wear an identifying patch stitched to our shirts.  Yet.  :(

What is "duty to inform?"

On 7/16/2022 at 7:41 AM, bgavin said:

Let that sink in.

With the known technical expertise of the left and their ability to fix elections with it, the scumbag will get elected and we’ll be going through the same crap again only worse,  it will be on the national level. 

Yep.
Any programmer worth his salt can write a cheat vote counting program and not get caught.
The only way to actually catch them is a forensic audit of the actual source code used to produce the executable code in the machine on election night.

If they quarantined one of those machines, they can get the digital signature of the executable code.
Compile the source code and compare the signatures.
If they do not match, the code is doctored.

This will never happen, because the vendor will hide behind "Trade Secrets" until the plaintiffs die of old age in court.
In short... they will get away with it.

40 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Yep.
Any programmer worth his salt can write a cheat vote counting program and not get caught.
The only way to actually catch them is a forensic audit of the actual source code used to produce the executable code in the machine on election night.

If they quarantined one of those machines, they can get the digital signature of the executable code.
Compile the source code and compare the signatures.
If they do not match, the code is doctored.

This will never happen, because the vendor will hide behind "Trade Secrets" until the plaintiffs die of old age in court.
In short... they will get away with it.

So true, and there ain’t anything we can do about it.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

So true, and there ain’t anything we can do about it.

YES!! There IS something that can and SHOULD BE done about this!

We MUST abandon the tendency to cater to the desire for instant gratification!!  The vote is far too important for us to allow any possibility of tampering!!!!

Go back to paper ballots and require open, certified, public counting of those ballots!!  If it takes a week or a month, count the vote cast by the hand of each voter “in front of God and everybody”!!  When it’s over, there will be no argument as to the legitimacy of the election!!

There should not be any question about any ballot cast. Only registered voters should receive a ballot.

We must also insure that each vote cast is that of a legal citizen of this country!!  Natural born, naturalized citizens of legal voting age who are not otherwise prevented legally from voting should be allowed to vote.  Anyone who has not met these requirements shall not cast a ballot!!  Persons here on any type of visa, work pass, or anything other than actual recognized citizenship SHALL BE TURNED AWAY FROM THE POLLS!!

Archived