SASS Wire Forum

And You Think California Gun Laws Are Unconstitutional? Look At New York's New Handgun License Law

Cypress Sun

Take a look at the new handgun license requirements set forth by New York State.

- A quick synopsis;

- Must provide a list of all social media accounts that have been maintained over the last 3 years so they can "verify" character and conduct.

- Provide 4-character references.

- Have 16 hours of "gun safety training" w/2 hours of shooting practice at a shooting range.

- Be subject to periodic background checks.

- Turn over ALL social media accounts and info for all adults living in the household.

- A lengthy list of places where firearms are not permitted. Most are where I would want a firearm for protection.

I can see this new law being overturned by the courts. This kind of crap will slowly become pervasive Countrywide if not stopped now and cannot be blamed on California escapees.

Story below 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-approves-gun-law-requiring-buyers-provide-social-media-handles

Wow! 
I guess they had that in their back pack pocket just waiting to lose in this case. 

https://nypost.com/2022/06/23/supreme-court-overturns-ny-law-on-carrying-concealed-weapons/

More proof that it’s not about the Constitutional rights of Americans with these people, but control and power. 

It’s pretty much expected. They largely ignored the Heller decision so breaking the law is nothing new to them . It’s great that they are on defense. We need to keep them there 

The Second Amendment needs to be rewritten! 

It should read, “The governments shall make no law to prevent or preclude the law abiding citizen from purchasing, manufacturing, possessing, carrying,  or using in a lawful manner, arms equal to those of the military or law enforcement.”

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

It should read, “The governments shall make no law to prevent or preclude the law abiding citizen from purchasing, manufacturing, possessing, carrying,  or using in a lawful manner, arms equal to those of the military or law enforcement.”

I don't disagree, BUT I sure as hell don't want any clown(sorry to all clowns)  from Washington doing anything to any of the bill of rights; best thing they could do is learn to read them!

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Unfortunately they would still find some sleaze bag way to break the law . The wording is very straightforward now , they just use disingenuous arguments that work on the weak minded among us 

Back when I was in college, taking political science, we were given an assignment one day. Make one change in the Constitution.

I wrote, "delete the first 13 words of the second Amendment".

You should have heard the squawking when she read that out to the class (she read everyone's suggestion). Making any sort of modification to the second Amendment. I need to be tiredTARRED and feathered and carried on a rail over to the lynch post.

Seems to me though, that if the first 13 words of the amendment had not been there, a whole lot of bull would have not happened.

A

Well

Regulated

Militia

Being

Necessary

For

The

Security

Of

A

Free

State

Without those 13 words there would never have been any nonsense about it only applies to the militia, or it only applies to the National guard, or it only counts if you are in the militia.

Just a simple statement - The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Back when I was in college, taking political science, we were given an assignment one day. Make one change in the Constitution.

You should have heard the squawking when she read that out to the class (she read everyone's suggestion). Making any sort of modification to the second Amendment. I need to be tired and feathered and carried on a rail over to the lynch post.

Seems to me though, that if the first 13 words of the amendment had not been there, a whole lot of bull would have not happened.

A

Well

Regulated

Militia

Being

Necessary

For

The

Security

Of

A

Free

State

Without those 13 words there would never have been any nonsense about it only applies to the militia, or it only applies to the National guard, or it only counts if you are in the militia.

Just a simple statement - The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

According to the U.S. Code, we are ALL the militia.

10 U.S. Code § 246 - Militia: composition and classes

(a)
The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b)The classes of the militia are—
(1)
the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2)
the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

32 U.S. Code § 313 - Appointments and enlistments: age limitations

(a)
To be eligible for original enlistment in the National Guard, a person must be at least 17 years of age and under 45, or under 64 years of age and a former member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps. To be eligible for reenlistment, a person must be under 64 years of age.
(b)To be eligible for appointment as an officer of the National Guard, a person must—
(1)
be a citizen of the United States; and
(2)
be at least 18 years of age and under 64.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I don't disagree, BUT I sure as hell don't want any clown(sorry to all clowns)  from Washington doing anything to any of the bill of rights; best thing they could do is learn to read them!

AGREED!!

In high school English, we were taught to diagram and sentence!!  I hated it and I don’t remember all of the rules and structures involved, but I learned how to identify the point of the statement.

The first thirteen words in the Second Amendment give reasons for the remainder of the sentence.  They do not exclude other reasons and they don’t qualify the sentence either!

As Alpo said above, they could just as easily have been left out of the sentence.  It would probably have prevented all of the silly arguments that spring from that couple of phrases!

ANY qualified language arts teacher that will honestly diagram the Second Amendment, could teach the IDIOTS in Congress the actual meaning of the sentence!!!

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You should have heard the squawking when she read that out to the class (she read everyone's suggestion). Making any sort of modification to the second Amendment. I need to be tired and feathered and carried on a rail over to the lynch post.

A

Well

Regulated

Militia

Being

Necessary

For

The

Security

Of

A

Free

State

It doesn’t matter how it was written the anti gunners would still come up with some nonsense argument. It’s what they do , the National guard didn’t exist when the document was written so they couldn’t have possibly meant that . If the founders could have possibly foreseen all the arguments against the2nd ,  and said that’s not what we mean we would still be in the same situation.
Because the anti gunners breaking our laws know exactly what the 2nd amendment means , they just don’t like what it means and as of today don’t have the power to change the constitution. So they try to subvert it 

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

AGREED!!

In high school English, we were taught to diagram and sentence!!  I hated it and I don’t remember all of the rules and structures involved, but I learned how to identify the point of the statement.

The first thirteen words in the Second Amendment give reasons for the remainder of the sentence.  They do not exclude other reasons and they don’t qualify the sentence either!

As Alpo said above, they could just as easily have been left out of the sentence.  It would probably have prevented all of the silly arguments that spring from that couple of phrases!

ANY qualified language arts teacher that will honestly diagram the Second Amendment, could teach the IDIOTS in Congress the actual meaning of the sentence!!!

Here you go.

2nd-Amendment-Grammar.gif

2 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

CA and NY are lost cause. I hope their misery don't spready throughout the country like wildfire.

Y'know, the 48 star flag had a balanced symmetry to it that I wouldn't object to seeing again. 

Just a thought.

I think this is a great idea. I think the NY law should be expanded. All individuals running for or currently in office or high position in NY should have to do the same as what is required in this law. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think this is a great idea. I think the NY law should be expanded. All individuals running for or currently in office or high position in NY should have to do the same as what is required in this law. 

You know, sci-fi writers come up with some really good ideas sometimes.

I read one that had a society that was made up of loosely allied clans.  They had a supreme leader with powers that were pretty limited to specific areas but were vast within those areas and the qualifications for the position were very few. 

The biggest one was that the supreme leader was never someone that wanted the position. 

You couldn't lobby for it, you couldn't scheme to get it, and attempting to do so would automatically disqualify you. 

It had to be forced on you in some way or another. 

One guy took it only with the understanding that he was acting as a 'place holder' until someone he though was more qualified could come and take it- but that guy didn't want it either.  It took council representatives months to convince him to take it.  He passed it on to his successor ( the person he was holding it for) by making him promise to take up the position as he lay dying.

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What department and how many employees are going to be needed to canvas so much social media content?

There will be none, therefore creating an infinite backlog so that they will never be able to issue a CCW to anybody who isn't wealthy enough to buy their way in, or politically connected enough, just like now.

They do nothing about the current criminals that are actively violating the gun laws and exposing it in social media. Gang members and thugs live posting pics of themselves with drugs, money, and firearms yet NOTHING is done to them. 

JEL

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

There will be none, therefore creating an infinite backlog so that they will never be able to issue a CCW to anybody who isn't wealthy enough to buy their way in, or politically connected enough, just like now.

Or it will be the excuse they use to raise fees and taxes . And also expand another useless government bureaucracy . You can be assured it will not be efficient  

Just now, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I read a science fiction short story once titled, "The NIght They Hung the Lawyers"....

Too bad it was fiction...

On 7/2/2022 at 11:11 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I read a science fiction short story once titled, "The NIght They Hung the Lawyers"....

I read a story once where the defendant in a trial had the option to appeal the verdict- by dueling with the Judge.

Archived