SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army Nipple Removal

joachim slim

Ok. I have been letting the cylinder with nipples installed soak in Marvel Oil for a week. I used a 3/16" socket, it wasnt very tight fitting and started to slip. Is there a metric size that would work better? If that fails what do you suggest?

• joachim slim changed the title to Ruger Old Army Nipple Removal

atf works very well. If you don't have one of the jigs to set the cylinder on use a couple of wooden dowels inserted into the cylinder and put those in a vice so the cylinder is held securely. I have a nipple wrench made for the ROA and it works very well.

kR

Soak in a solution of ATF and Acetone. Put it in a small paint can with enough to cover the cylinder. Put the lid back on tightly. Give it a swirl a couple times a day. Try again in a week. 

Or

Soak it in a paint can full of KROIL. 

53 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Soak in a solution of ATF and Acetone. Put it in a small paint can with enough to cover the cylinder. Put the lid back on tightly. Give it a swirl a couple times a day. Try again in a week. 

Or

Soak it in a paint can full of KROIL. 

+1 Kroil has worked well for me when nothing else would.

Take the notion of using a "socket" off the table.  Most sockets the walls are to thick to let the socket reach all the way into the cylinder recess.  Use a 3/16" nut driver.  You can try different things and run the risk of rounding off the nipple corners or damaging the cylinder or you can get the proper tool and do it right.

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0003.jpeg

DSC_0005.jpeg

Archived