SASS Wire Forum

Which Henry 1860?

Pee Wee #15785

I am thinking of buying a 1860 Henry. I have looked at UBERTI and HENRY. Is the New Original Henry worth the difference in price? I have shot SASS for about 30 years so know the downside of the design. I know Uberti works but have not seen the New Original Henry at the matches I go to so have nothing to judge the NOH by. The two I have seen both had much better wood than Uberti. Finish was also better on the NOH.

Worth it? Personal call. I had a Uberti Henry 45 that worked just fine. I purchased a 44-40 Henry Arms Iron Frame Henry because I wanted one. The Henry Arms Henry does have a better fit and finish but functionally, I do not notice any significant difference.

Either is a fine rifle. The price of the Henry Inc. rifle is a bit more than the Uberti. The Uberti is NOT American made.

This Henry company is NOT the original company responsible for the original Henry Repeating Rifle.

I have the Henry original Henry.   Yeah, it costs more - and the stock is so nice that I'm more paranoid about using it for our game (don't want to bang the heck out of it).

I will say, I bent the lifter shooting it out of battery (which will happen with Henries and '66 Winchesters if you're not careful).   I called Henry to order a new one, they said they'd send me a replacement free of charge.  I told them no, it was user error rather than a manufacturing defect.   They insisted, a couple of days later I had my new lifter.

Only experience I've had with their customer service, and it was very positive.   With the Uberti you'd be working with the importer.   Of course I've ordered parts from Cimarron as well, and they've always been fine to work with.

The NOH will almost certainly have very nice wood.  It will also be super shiny but at the expense of the corners being rounded a bit from over-polishing.  And Henry customer service is exemplary, as mentioned.   And of course made in USA.  You will have to decide if those things are worth the extra expense.  Not too many people make their Henries into race guns but if that is your thing then all the go-fast parts fit Ubertis.

If I had one I would most certainly use a full-coverage butt cover for CAS!

My Henry is an Uberti.  I got it used.   It is, as far as I know, as it came from the factory with no special tuning.  Never given me a lick of trouble.

The HRA Henry is very pretty, but I personally don't think that justifies the extra expense.  But I sure wouldn't mind winning one in a drawing!

My Henry started out as a 45 Colt rifle.

Shot it for several years.

No issues.

Then I started shooting black powder.

After several matches, issues started increasing.

Most was from fouling and carbon rings in the barrel.

Was going to have the barrel relined in 44-40.

Located a liner and was ready to reline the barrel.

Then I made a call to Uberti USA.

Happen to have a complete 44-40 barrel assembly on the shelf.

The cost of this assembly and replacing the 45 Colt barrel was slightly cheaper than reline the barrel.

The 44-40 barrel has had none of the issues that the45 Colt barrel had.

Smokeless or BP and substitutes.

I have shot this 44-40 barrel for about 17 years now.

No issues at all.

I will not go back to 45 Colt even though all my revolvers are 45 Colt.

I have not seen the other manufacturer's rifle to compare.

i have an uberti - i have no complaints but i dont shoot it often , i shoot my 66 mostly and back it up with my 73 , i do like the 60 - i just dont depend on it to be my main match rifle , in my mind id not hesitate with either yet i would like a henry made even if its not the original company , that said ill not seek one out these days 

I have 2 Uberti Henrys.  Both great rifles. Never a problem.

The Henry Henrys do cost premium. Are they worth it? I do not know.

It's your money.  ;)

Looks like the difference in price is about $500-$600 higher in the Henry Henry. I've never owned one but I'd be tempted to go with the Henry Henry.

I should’ve mentioned that I have a Uberti iron Henry that was an anniversary gift from Schoolmarm eighteen years ago. She had it slicked up, short stroked, and tuned before I ever saw it.

Other than one of the hinge pins in one of the links coming out while I was cleaning it, (I replaced it with a piece of drill stock) it has never given ANY trouble. I can’t tell you how many matches it has seen or how many pounds of Black Powder have been sent down the barrel, but it is reliable and durable, (it has survived the dreaded magazine explosion) and it always makes me happy!

I got the NOH carbine.It was pretty stiff when I first got so I had Ken Griner smooth it up for me & it shoots fine for me.Getting use to the Henry hop was the big thing for me.Whether it was worth the extra $$$$$ is up to if U want it that bad..I did.Would like to find a full length stock cover for it The wood is TOO Purty'

I have also shot mainly BP in it.Lotsa Fun...

Largo

I've seen Largo's Henry and it's a beautiful rifle. I've seen Largo shoot it and he certainly runs it well.

These are a HOOT to shoot with black powder!

FYI...

Online I spotted 3 Henry Henry 44-40 color case rifles.  Ain't cheap but they are pretty!

Placed my order with local Toy store for a .44-40 will let me know the 5-6 if he can get one.  I think the wood and finish is worth it.  Just paid for a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Flintlock kit with high grade maple wood can't having it better looking than the 1860.

I had one on order for months & then went on GB & found this one.It was new & I believe I got it for less & had it shipped to my FFL.

Largo

Archived