SASS Wire Forum

Lever action rifle in .32 S&W Long?

Quiet Burp

I don't believe so.  Certainly not "back in the day," as they only chambered such guns in bottlenecked cartridges.

Modern replica makers would probably think the cartridge to be of not enough interest to make it worth making such a rifle.   The closest you could get would probably be, I think it was a Marlin, chambered in .32 H&R Magnum.   I don't know if it would run Longs or not without some modification.

I know from experience that a Rossi 92 chambered for .357 Magnum will not work with .38 Long Colts, to say nothing of .38 Short Colts.

I agree with HK above.

I'm not aware of any lever action for the .32 long.    BUT, the Marlin .32 H&R mag would be the best bet.

If the .32 H&R mag has any trouble feeding them as they come from the factory, they can be modified to run them

with a proper modification to the timing.

..........Widder

The closest thing was the Marlin Model 1892 in .32 Colt.  Some people, including me, have rechambered them and modified the mag tube to fit the slightly larger OD of the .32 S&W Long.  Not really practical if the gun is intended for SASS as parts are very rare, the action very weak, and it is not all that good for really fast cycling.

Unknown-1.jpeg.28bf0dc9a6b5ff533c6703eaf18ecdfb.jpeg

No.  The Marlin .32 Mag sold less than 500 units and only became popular after they quit making them.  Uberti had planned a 73 in .32 Mag but the gun would not work without significant modifications to accomodate the smaller round so it never came to market.  I know cause I converted one.

Your question was well answered, but I may not be the only one who wonders what exactly you had in mind. If the issue is recoil, some matches are allowing 22s in age groups for lack of primers.

41 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Why is it not a good gun for SASS?

Weak, obsolete design.  Parts almost impossible to find. No speed advantage that I can tell.  Load into complicated tube assembly.  The case won't hold enough black powder to meet 1cc requirements.  (I loaded with .7cc of Black MZ)  Local match didn't question load.

21414413_Marlin1891centerfireApril2021.jpg.a6f015d46cb023a817211257d4795cc1.jpg

Here is a picture of my Marlin Model 1892 with the side plate removed to show the action.  The action is the same type as used in the Marlin M-39 22’s.  I rechambered it to .32 S&W Long and it shoots and works well.  As already stated, it’s not a strong action and I only shoot reduced loads.  (115 grain bullet at about 600 fps.)

BCD0A007-8B4A-43CD-9199-25179AA8609E.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

There is NO competitive advantage.  But 32 S&W and Long is not a heel based bullet where 32 Colt is.  So the 32 S&W is much easier to reload, also components are more readily available.  

I believe the Henry Big Boy is also available in .327 Federal Magnum.  Whether it would cycle the shorter cartridges I have no idea.

There are original and replica lever action rifles chambered in .32-20.

Personally I would choose .38 Special over a .32 caliber rifle if both were available.  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my Marlin 32 HR!! It was done by my Jedi Boyfriend @Widder, SASS #59054 :wub: and it is FLAWLESS! Shot it Sunday and it’s still my best rifle, though I shoot FC so often that I shoot my 73 most of the time. I know one 32 Marlin that runs the SW Long cases but they just don’t look right for the rifle! :o

plus, think of all that lost brass. The HR Mag brass isn’t THAT much harder to find than 38 spl.  

Hugs! 
Scarlett

Archived