SASS Wire Forum

Mud tire recommendations

Trigger Mike

I have been running BF Goodrich K02 A/T on my trucks and love them.   I live at the top of a red clay dirt road and they do fine, only slipping a little in heavy rain.

Now my son works for a large farmer and he gets "farmed" out to plant for other farmers.  This means he drives the truck to various fields. He uses their tractors.  The places he goes have Mostly deep sand and some red clay .  Sometimes it takes effort to keep from getting stuck in a chevy 2500 crew cab.  I'm letting him use mine as I don't drive much these days.  

We thought about a nitto trail grappler, or nitto mud grappler but the tire shop suggested cooper mud tires.  They are cheaper.   I like that but want to get it right the first time.  Toyo are an option here too.

35 minutes ago, Big Timber SASS #19724Life said:

Good year Wranglers work well.for me on my 2500 hd.  In Snow mud sand and ice

Goodyear doesn't make a mud tire anymore.  The closest they have is the MT/R, which stands for "maximum traction/reinforced."  It really isn't much of a mud tire and its competitors are far better in mud.

I would probably seriously consider the Cooper if I had to have a (radial) mud tire.  I would not consider the Nitto Mud Grappler, that tread design is clearly for looks and once it wears crooked, it's going to ride like crap.  The Nitto Trail Grappler, I would consider.  I had a bad experience with a Nitto tire once. They claimed that it was from the heat of my exhaust pipe near the tire.  Eventually they did warranty all of the tires out and I have Goodyears now on that truck and while I would consider Nitto again, I was furious when it happened.

For me, it'd be Cooper, BFG, Nitto, and maybe the Toyo if I had to have a radial M/T.  If mud use is a regular thing and road manners are not important, I would probably buy a set of Super Swampers (TSL).  I would not expect them to ride comfortably or last long, though.

BFG is a good tire in the k02 so I imagine it is in the km3.  I noticed the nitto trail grappler mud tire has a higher load rating than the nitto mud grappler.  I need to go compare the load rating for the BFG.  He has to pull water tanks etc sometimes 

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go BFG M/T.

Longer tread wear and much quieter. 

I agree. And they make for a decent all around tire without all the flap-flap-flap noise on the road. 

I like A/T’s for regular off road use but would go with M/Ts in mud and clay. If you can get them super they will really shine on everything not slickery. 

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

BFG is a good tire in the k02 so I imagine it is in the km3.  I noticed the nitto trail grappler mud tire has a higher load rating than the nitto mud grappler.  I need to go compare the load rating for the BFG.  He has to pull water tanks etc sometimes 

No matter what tire you choose, it needs to have the same or a higher load rating than the tires that came on the truck.  That probably means an E rating for a 2500 series truck.  Usually, the tires available that come in the size that truck will take will all be available in an appropriate load rating.  For example, my (3500) truck came with a 265/70R17 tire from the factory.  Virtually every truck tire in that size is E rated.  BFG will sometimes offer a C or D rated tire and an E rated tire in the same size for that reason, so if you don't need the E rated, you can go with the lower load rating.

Most likely, a tire store will not even install lower rated tires on the truck than the GVWR calls for, but that is definitely something you should pay attention to.

I've had really good luck with the Nitto series. I've ran both the TerraGrappler2's and the more aggressive Ridge Grapplers. They also have AN even more aggressive tread tire with the Mud Grapplers. The Ridge were awesome and when those needed replacing I switched I went down to the more mild Terra's. IMO, They are the best tires I've even owned.

JEL

I got some finalist Terrano at s at wally world lt rated 10 ply.

Bout 600 mounted for 4 a year ago

3 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

My son's boss uses nitto ridge grappler but gets stuck sometimes.   

Yeah,  the ridge are about the equivalent to the BFG all terrains, the Terra's are more of a highway tire with an aggressive look. The Mud Grapplers are the aggressive ones. 

JEL

Howdy

Back when I played with POR the bfg folks had a huge trailer and technicians

at the event keeping records.

bfg very impressive on logging trails.

Best

CR

Asking a group of guys about the best off road tires is like asking them all to agree on the best revolver and cartridge or the prettiest girl at a Miss America pageant. :lol:

Stay away from soft mud and sand with Diesel powered trucks. The significantly heavier weight of the engine will sink the front end.

My manager runs a Duramax diesel on the highway but when it comes to mud he uses a gasoline powered truck.

I tried a couple of tire stores and the one that said it could get bfg km3 said there were only 4 and I had to pay an additional 300 in shipping.  2100 total.  

Then I asked about nitto trail grappler.  Hard to find, more shipping cost and 2000.  They said don't get mud grapplers,  only last 14k miles.  2100.  

Toyo mud tires.  Only 4 in country and 1900.  

The owner drives a lifted f250 and I saw his Yokohama.  Mud tires.  Has better tread than trail grappler on the edges.  Smooth road ride.  1800.  Went with 34 size on 18 inch wheel as am adding a 3 inch lift.  

It boiled down to availability and cost.  

For the money, Mastercraft MT or MXT; made in the USA in the same plant as, and owned by, Cooper. I like my Mastercraft ATs just fine in red clay. They are 10 ply E rated. 3/4  and 1 tons are too stiff and lose traction too easily and generally don’t get the traction of F150 and lighter trucks. My old 2500 Chevy would get stuck in flat wet grass even with a round bale in the bed in 2wd. I just run 235’s on my F250, just like came on the truck new (2001 F250) and gone through some bogs and fields of wood chips, topsoil, compost and mulch at the Scott’s-Miracle Gro plant I contract with and seldom ever as much as spin a tire on occasion. I had a touch over $900 for 5 tires and they have 30-35,000 miles on them now. Maybe 65-70% tread left.

I think tires are about like anything: often over thought and for many people vanity goes into the decision as much as anything. Keeps in WwII went far in less hp and far less tread. But if you’re serious into mud, I mean real mud, like recreational mud bogging  in Culloden Ga type stuff, and have the hp and torque for it- Thornbird Super Swampers.

Howdy,

If you have adone deal fine.

But if not you could call bfg direct and ask if they can help.

Worst is they say no.

Back in the day they shipped four radial ta to my door when no one could get them.

I really should buy more of their tires.

Best

CR

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, John E. Law said:

I've had really good luck with the Nitto series. I've ran both the TerraGrappler2's and the more aggressive Ridge Grapplers. They also have AN even more aggressive tread tire with the Mud Grapplers. The Ridge were awesome and when those needed replacing I switched I went down to the more mild Terra's. IMO, They are the best tires I've even owned.

JEL

I have 37" Ridge Grapplers on my K5.  They are actually really great, quiet even with chunks missing.  Definitely not mud tires though.  When they die I am probably going to go to a more conventional all terrain as well, but they've been good.

Based on what a small town could get and price I settled for yokohoma.   My sonnkept texting me to get nitto mudgrapplers over and over and was disappointed I got the yokohoma.  Then he drove the truck to work and a buddy at work told him yokohoma runs circles around mudgrapplers.  

I replied it was nice to know I finally made a good decision for a change, sarcastically. 

Archived