SASS Wire Forum

How fast can you bike?

Snip-it_1656601909848.jpg.ba5e3a2cb77cfa0efccdf7d306768eef.jpg

A farmer was cycling to work one morning in France when along came a trainer for the French Olympic cycling team driving his sports car. As the trainer drew close to the farmer he decided to give him a fright by driving past him too fast.
Thinking he left him far behind, he was startled to see the keeping up with him on his rickety old bike. Not to be outdone, the trainer excellerated until the trainer reached 70 KPH. The trainer finally decided to stop to offer the farmer a trial with the French Olympic team.
Asking him how he managed to go so fast on that old bike the farmer just glared at him and said, " It's really not that hard when you've got your braces caught in the door mirror."

And for those of you who are confused, he ain’t talking about dental braces. :lol:M

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I recall speeds in excess of 70 mph a number of times.

Ditto, on a full out carbon racing bike with tubulars running 120# pressure.  Back then I was immortal and the thought of even best obtainable racing tire blowing never crossed my mind.

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I didnt have a great bike in those days but a 12% slope helped.

There was a bump at the bottom of one of my speed hills and you would see all sorts of water bottles and bike parts.  The same carbon bike is hanging on the wall, and I keep threatening to ride it again, at least the 6 mile round trip to the post office.  I doubt I'd hit 35 on the small hill.

I don't know how fast in mph it was, but it was fast. The was a long hill on Palmetto Rd in Clearwater, Fl. that had (about) a 1/5 mile, 20 degree downhill slope when headed west. If you got up some good speed before the downhill run, pedaled like crazy, got it into 10th gear, you could really fly. Problem was that at the bottom of the hill was a traffic signal at Highland Ave. You had to time it up just right at the top of the hill to catch the green at the bottom, if you didn't...well let's just say it wasn't going to end up pretty. One of the boys (teenager) in the neighborhood misjudged it one time and ran into the side of a car crossing the intersection. He had some pretty significant injuries from what I remember.

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I recall speeds in excess of 70 mph a number of times.

Last year, my young, extreme athlete neighbor was going about 50mph down a long grade when he smacked a bear that ran down an embankment in front of him.

Ouch!

His carbon racing bike was totaled and he got a bit skinned up, but at least the bear got up and ran off.  He hit it in the front shoulder.  

Archived