SASS Wire Forum

Baseball is supposed to be my outlet...

I'm totally not joking.  I have PTSD from combat and from law enforcement (treated and doing just fine, thank you).  To me, umpiring is a way to focus my hyper-alertness and energy; it's an escape from always looking over my shoulder, visually checking every person I see for weapons, noting exits, reading body language for threats, etc.  Plus, I have loved the game since I was little.  It's a few hours where I'm just in love with the game and not worried about evil.  It is genuine therapy for my PTSD.

HOWEVER, evil is still real.  Just because I have a few hours when I don't have to think about it does't mean it has disappeared.

I was umpiring a college summer game last week in Nebraska.  I had the plate, and when I work the plate everything outside the foul lines is completely tuned out.  I seriously have no idea what people are saying because I'm so focused.  And to be honest, this was the fastest game I've ever umpired and I wanted to be ready for anything.  This was a close game with a lot of close calls (post game video review showed we got ALL of them right!).  There was a lot of talk coming from the benches, but I truly had no idea what they were saying.  If the ball is live, I'm focused on the ball!

Between innings, the home team assistant coach approached me and told me the visiting team was making racist comments about the home team's center fielder, who was black.  Despite a law enforcement career in which I spent almost my entire career in the ghetto and came to hold a very dim view of humanity, I have to admit I was a little shocked.  He then told me what they said, which I will NOT post here.  Suffice it to say, there was no room for interpretation; they were blatantly racist statements.

I approached the visiting team head coach and told him about the accusation.  I said that I had not heard the remarks, but if I had, the offender would already be gone.  He said nothing and walked away. 

NOTE:  I'm also a trained interrogator, and have been trained in reading body language, micro-expressions, etc.  This is not voodoo; it's science, and I have been documented to be more accurate than a lie detector (93% per occurrence versus 77%, so I'm significantly better than a lie detector!).  This guy's micro-expression and body language told me one thing:  The accusation was true, and he knew who had said those terrible things. 

Even though the courts have found me to be an "expert witness," it's not in a baseball rule book.  I'm not ejecting on that one, but I laid down the law, nonetheless.

I'm new to this college summer league and I'm hoping to use it to break into umpiring in the NCAA, so I didn't want to become "That Guy" after my first game with them.  But, racist remarks are very severe.  Think about it -- I dedicated two careers to standing up for people who can't stand up for themselves.  My spiritual beliefs are grounded in the idea that every human being is made in the image of God, and therefore has value.  These acts were more than a simple insult; they were an attack on the fabric of what it means to be human.  I simply can't stand for that. 

I called the assignor and told him what happened, and then told him my plan for the next game:  If I hear it (and I tend to hear a lot more when I'm working the bases), I'm ejecting the offender immediately, no warnings.  If I don't know who said it, I'm asking the dugout.  If they happen to tell me, I'm ejecting the offender.  If they don't tell me, I'm ejecting the head coach because he's responsible for their behavior.  The assignor agreed, and then he called someone at the league and each team owner.  I'm told each team had a come-to-the-divinity-of-your-choice meeting.

Later that day, I was sitting in my hotel room going through my mental preparations for another fast-paced game, where I would be on the bases.  I kept thinking about the injustice of it all, and it made me sick to my stomach.  I mean that literally.  I wondered if I was coming down with something or if it was being incensed at this whole affair.  It was definitely the latter.  It also didn't go away the entire game because I had no way of knowing what would be said next.  To be honest, I was LOOKING for racist comments.  We had some close plays (also 100% correct on post game video review!), but I was more worried about some idiot in a hood. 

There was a lot of bench jockeying again, but no racist comments. 

It's been nearly a week and I'm still angry about it.

After 26 years in Law Enforcement, I understand completely. It's called Sportsmanship, and unless folks like you stand for it, it too, will fade away. Well done.

Racism (and a number of other prejudices) of any kind and from anyone have no place in my world.  I have lost friends and associates because of my daughters-in-law, some close friends, and others in my circle.

You did the right thing and I'm proud of people like you.

You did great.

On a side note. 

Had some family went to Nebraska for a big 11U tournament last week.

They got to see a few of the College game while there.

And yes. The Texas Baseball Club kicked butt in the 11U. Only giving up 3 runs in bracket play.

Archived