SASS Wire Forum

12ga 7/8oz light cowboy load data

#23 bushing with Clays will work but I use a #24….just to make me feel better!

Kajun

14gr. Clays or Clay-Dot, grey claybuster wad, 7/8oz. #8.

Feels just like Win. LNLR featherlights. Chronoed 1045 out of my Stoeger and Ellie's 97

Clays Superlite shotshell:
Worked this out with a Hodgdon's tech on the phone, when my wife started shooting.
AA or Remington Hull
Win 209 Primer
13.9 grains Clays (MEC #25)
CB0178-12 grey wad
7/8 ounce shot
Lighter than a featherlite shell
Knocks 'em down every time
--Dawg 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't trust those bushings to drop what Mec says they do....

John, OLG is right on the money. Go by weight, not bushing size. I use Prairie Dawg's load and it works great for me and the wife. While you can substitute ClayDot for Clays, their volume will be different. So, once again, like Lumpy says, go by weight, not bushing size.

33 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

John, OLG is right on the money. Go by weight, not bushing size. I use Prairie Dawg's load and it works great for me and the wife. While you can substitute ClayDot for Clays, their volume will be different. So, once again, like Lumpy says, go by weight, not bushing size.

I’ll definitely weight what the bushing throws. 

I make a light load for my wife using a #19 bushing of Red Dot, a grey wad and 7/8 oz shot. Shes 5'1" and 105 soaking wet and has no problem with the recoil or knocking the SG targets down.

Remember when using a single stage press like the MEC, the press cycles 4 times between each powder drop. This causes heavier drops than if you just repeatedly move the charge bar without cycling the press. Take this into account when verifying bushings.

A powder baffel is a must for consistant powder charges.

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Remember when using a single stage press like the MEC, the press cycles 4 times between each powder drop. This causes heavier drops than if you just repeatedly move the charge bar without cycling the press. Take this into account when verifying bushings.

A powder baffel is a must for consistant powder charges.

When I was running my 600jr I also sized and deprimed them all before reloading. It helped a lot with drop consistency. Using a Grabber now and just run em. Seems about every 500 or so I do something stupid and dump powder or shot or both all over the bench. Gotta put a tray under it some year!

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Gotta put a tray under it some year!

Best thing I ever did was put a small cookie sheet under my shotshell loader. Way easier to clean up after a loading session.

Bah!! :P  None of the Above.  :rolleyes: This may not be lotsa help there Barleypop.  ^_^  I much prefer Magtech All Brass Hulls, 40Gr 2f APP, BP Spitfire wad and over shot cards. ;) Maximum FUN you betcha. :D

My main match load is 14.5gn Clay's, Claybuster lightning wad, and 7/8oz #8 shot. I use gun club hulls and Winchester or cheddite primers. I don't remember the mec bushing.  I haven't used one in 14 years. Never had a single issue dropping any KDs.

JEL

2 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

My main match load is 14.5gn Clay's, Claybuster lightning wad, and 7/8oz #8 shot. I use gun club hulls and Winchester or cheddite primers. I don't remember the mec bushing.  I haven't used one in 14 years. Never had a single issue dropping any KDs.

JEL

Thank you, ps hammers went out today

Funny I recently bumped up my wifes load to 14g Red Dot & 1oz shot..quickly got told to go back to 13g with 7/8 shot or she ain't shootin' no more !!

I promptly loaded 100 for an upcoming big shoot....

9 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Funny I recently bumped up my wifes load to 14g Red Dot & 1oz shot..quickly got told to go back to 13g with 7/8 shot or she ain't shootin' no more !!

I promptly loaded 100 for an upcoming big shoot....

You're lucky she didn't wack you over the head. :P

I use a #23 bushing with Reddot (about 13.1 grains) a WAA12l wad with a 20 gauge 1/8 inch card wad under the shot and Federal 209a primers in STS hulls,Soft shooting but will still break birds and take down any knockdowns.

Archived