SASS Wire Forum

Well crap. Had an original senior moment

So last night I was going to mow one of the ridge roads.  I was told beforehand that there were some trees that had fallen across them from storms that pass through so as a matter of course, I take a chain saw with me for just such situations.  Let me preface. I have spend hundreds of hours working with chainsaws.  Cutting fire wood mostly but some tree trimming and clean up.  I file my own chains, blow out the debris at least once a year with compressed air, use only non-ethanol gas and high quality 2 stoke oil.  I have a preference for Stihl products.  Well actually, I only own Stihl saws.  I currently have 3 of various sizes.

So last night I'm getting my medium sized saw ready.  I fill it with bar oil and mixed gas.  When I get the offending tree, I fire up the saw and go through my typical warm up.  As I begin to cut the tree, the saw dies.  That's odd I says to myownself but now it doesn't want to fire back up as it usually does.  I put it on full choke and get it to start.  Let it warm up some and go back to the throttle and it dies again.  I try it one more time but as it starts, I notice that there is a considerable amount of smoke coming out of the muffler.  Shazbat.  I open up the bar oil cap and sure enough the bar oil is very, very fluid.  I open up the gas cap and you guessed it, the fluid is very thick.  I put bar oil in the gas tank and mixed gas in the bar oil reservoir.   A few invectives were expressed, I questioned my lineage and intelligence.  I dumped what remained of both tanks out, got back on the tractor and finished mowing.   I was able to move the offending tree out of the way with the bucket.  You have to love heavy equipment.

I got back to the shed, filled both tanks correctly, went to a downed tree in the yard that needed to be cleaned up, started the saw and it blew copious amounts of blue smoke for about a minute until the gas line had cleared out.  Funny thing, the darn saw seemed to actually run better after the line cleared.  Got that tree cleaned up, put my saw away and declared it Miller time.

All I can say is that I can only blame this as a senior moment.  Need to pay attention better next time butthead.  

What's your senior moment?  You know you have had one.

It's not as good as yours.

Sam's sells some pre-cooked frozen hamburger patties. You just pop them in the microwave and do them for a couple of minutes and you have hamburgers.

My microwave is old, and weak, and does not have a carousel. So what I do is put them in on a plate and nuke them for 2 minutes. Then I rotate the plate 90° and do another 2 minutes and they're ready to eat.

Then I got a brilliant idea. The second time I just nuked them for a minute and a half, then lay a slice of cheese on top of them and hit them for the next 30 seconds. That finishes warming them up, and it melts the cheese nicely for a cheeseburger.

So the other night I'm making supper, and while they're cooking for the first two minutes I'm putting condiments on the bun and I'm unwrapping the Kraft singles. When the oven stops, I take them out, lay the cheese on top of the patties, rotate the plate 90° to where it was, and fire it up for another 2 minutes.

About 40 seconds into that second 2 minutes I realized that I should not have put the cheese on yet. But I could not think of any way to get it off. It had melted down onto the patty by then. So I went ahead and let it cook for 2 minutes.

There was some slight remnant of cheese sitting atop the patty, and a large amount of melted cheese circling the patty on the plate.

Oh well. Pay more attention next time.

I had a senior moment, but I forgot what it was.

I opened my fridge one morning and found a cardboard box of cereal... huh... turned around and opened the cupboard to find the carton of milk I had put there the previous morning.

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sam's sells some pre-cooked frozen hamburger patties. You just pop them in the microwave and do them for a couple of minutes and you have hamburgers.

My microwave is old, and weak, and does not have a carousel. So what I do is put them in on a plate and nuke them for 2 minutes. Then I rotate the plate 90° and do another 2 minutes and they're ready to eat.

Then I got a brilliant idea. The second time I just nuked them for a minute and a half, then lay a slice of cheese on top of them and hit them for the next 30 seconds. That finishes warming them up, and it melts the cheese nicely for a cheeseburger.

So the other night I'm making supper, and while they're cooking for the first two minutes I'm putting condiments on the bun and I'm unwrapping the Kraft singles. When the oven stops, I take them out, lay the cheese on top of the patties, rotate the plate 90° to where it was, and fire it up for another 2 minutes.

About 40 seconds into that second 2 minutes I realized that I should not have put the cheese on yet. But I could not think of any way to get it off. It had melted down onto the patty by then. So I went ahead and let it cook for 2 minutes.

There was some slight remnant of cheese sitting atop the patty, and a large amount of melted cheese circling the patty on the plate.

Like Forrest, Forrest Gump said “It happens”.

Another time, I got up, walked into the kitchen, put a coffee filter in the coffeemaker, scooped some coffee into it, poured a carafe of water into it, turned it on, and went and sat down. After a couple minutes, I thought, "Damn, that smells good". When it quit gurgling, signaling the coffee was ready, I walked into the kitchen to find fresh coffee all over the counter and floor... and the carafe sitting in the sink. :lol:

Yep, "old-timers" disease.  I've done similar things.

The other night my wife, who is a retired advanced math teacher, and is still sharp as a tack, pulled a good one.  She was putting her carton of ice cream away when the phone rang.  I saw her walk to the living room, phone in hand, and sit down on the couch.  I had waited until she was out of the kitchen to make a bag of microwave popcorn.  When I opened the microwave, there sat her carton of Moose Tracks.

I got her to come into the kitchen to show her the microwave and had a little a giggle at her expense.  That was a mistake that I am still regretting a week later.   

A friend was cleaning out a refrigerator and was throwing away a roast he said was freezer burned. I said I'd take it home and give it to our barn cats. Threw it on the back seat of the truck and remembered it three days later when I needed something out of the truck.

Roast + 3 days in truck in 90° weather = still trying to clean seat and get smell out of truck. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

wait till  you want to microwave for 30 seconds and input 30 minutes

somewhere around 11 minutes the smoke detector got my attention

16 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'm kind of the opposite today...I remember Shazbat from Mork and Mindy.B)

all I remember is Mindy

8 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

A friend was cleaning out a refrigerator and was throwing away a roast he said was freezer burned. I said I'd take it home and give it to our barn cats. Threw it on the back seat of the truck and remembered it three days later when I needed something out of the truck.

Roast + 3 days in truck in 90° weather = still trying to clean seat and get smell out of truck. 

I'll raise you a bait bucket of live (later dead) shrimp in a bait bucket, in the trunk, 4 days, in Florida, in August. The smell will never come out...never...at least that's what I heard. :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

6 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'll raise you a bait bucket of live (later dead) shrimp in a bait bucket, in the trunk, 4 days, in Florida, in August. The smell will never come out...never...at least that's what I heard. :ph34r:

Got you both beat though it was not due to my forgetfulness.

When I was young, I worked for my dad and uncle in the family garage. One HOT summer, some kids put a dead possum under the seat of the school principal's early 1950's pickup truck. He rarely used the truck so a few days later (unknown how many), he got in and HOO BOY, what a smell.

He brought the truck to the garage and we found what was left of the possum under the seat. Being the kid, I was tasked with the removal of same. I put on some gloves and SCOOPED out the gelatinous mass that remained of the possum!:wacko:

One of (if not the) the last times I changed the oil in my car, I was being very persnickety about keeping everything neat, clean and dry and as I was finishing putting in the last quart of oil I realized I had not re-installed the drain plug at the bottom of the pan.  I have since become permanent client of the dealer or Jiffy Lube.

I have numerous derogatory and usually profane names that I call myself on a regular basis!

Nothing more needs to be said!!

15 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

That smell could probably reach Palm Harbor, 25+ miles north of ya!

22 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

all I remember is Mindy

Better watch out. NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs is married to Mindy. He might take offense at your remembrance. B)

I definitely pulled one of those moments a few years ago. Worse is that I can't remember what it was!!:D Came real close on the chain saw stunt once though.

Archived