SASS Wire Forum

Loads for 700x and clay dot in 38 special and 45 Colt

I can’t speak to the 200 grain 45’s (I load 170’s) but I’m using a Hodgdon load data minimum load of 700-x in my 45’s for my rifle...

I like it a lot...

I've not had a lot of experience with 700X, but I did get some ammo with a gun I bought and it was 45 Colt loaded with 700X. The loads chrono'd well and I had some 700X so I tried to duplicate the load. 

Given my experience my thinking there are lot to lot inconsistencies. Recently, 700X has been made by several different manufacturers in several countries. Being Canadian it's a bit embarrassing to admit the stuff made in Canada was very inconsistent lot to lot, so Hodgdon had recent lots produced in the USA. My testing was not extensive, I had to use a different charge than the came with ammo. I did get a decent load, nothing to brag about, but it would work. 

Calibre

45 Colt

Date Loaded

2021-12-26

Powder

700X

Weight in Grains

4.6 gr

Bullet

Bullet Barn RNFP (451) *

Weight in Grains

250 ± 1 gr.

Primer

CCI 300 LP

Loaded OAL

1.57"

Case

¬¬ 45 COLT

Weight in Grains

113.5 avg

Velocity Av

712/699.5

Es

34/30

Sd

14/12

Shots

5>/5<

I pulled some of the loads that came with the gun, powder varied by about a grain on 5 samples. I weighed several cartridges, selected a batche that weifhed about the same and sent them over the chrono. 

Calibre

45 Colt

Date Loaded

Powder

700X

Weight in Grains

4.4, 4.8 5.5 gr

Bullet

Bullet Barn RNFP (452)

Weight in Grains

250 ± 1 gr.

Primer

Fed 150

Loaded OAL

1.57" ±

Case

See below.

Weight in Grains

113.5 avg

Times Loaded

New

Number loaded

Velocity Av

711/720

Es

23.5/47.8

Sd

9.8/10

Shots

5>/5<

Comments

Ammunition that came with Taylors SRC. I pulled apart two loaded in a WINCHESTER 45 COLT case and one in a ¬¬ 45 COLT case to ascertain powder weight and primer. Looks like a Fed primer and it looks like 700X, as the seller stated. The 10 rounds used for testing were weight sorted.

Test firearm Vaquero 4 5/8 barrel

image.thumb.jpeg.5f7d232e659a12b1f6c5d87756542596.jpeg

That's what is online at Hodgdons.

9 hours ago, LUTHER JUSTICE REGULATOR #5600 said:

I would like some help on loads for the above.  38 special with 125 grain bullets and 45 Colt with 200 grain.  Any help would be appreciated.

For 38 we use 2.8gr. of Clay-Dot under a 125 TC and for 45c I use 5.2gr. Clay-Dot under a 200 RNFP.

I usually use Clays, but can be interchanged by weight.

10 hours ago, LUTHER JUSTICE REGULATOR #5600 said:

I would like some help on loads for the above.  38 special with 125 grain bullets and 45 Colt with 200 grain.  Any help would be appreciated.

I tried Clay Dot in cold weather and had to use 3.2gr. behind a 125gr. bullet. 3.0gr. would not consistently build enough pressure to reseat the primers. 

Randy

10 hours ago, LUTHER JUSTICE REGULATOR #5600 said:

I would like some help on loads for the above.  38 special with 125 grain bullets

I like to get my loads so that the point of impact is as close to point of aim as possible, and with a nice tight group.   

I use a 3.2gr load of Clay Dot.  Lesser loads seemed too erratic and too position sensitive in colder weather.

My 700X loads.

I started with 158 gr. bullets, 3 gr. 700X,  Now 125 gr. bullets, 3.5 gr. 700X, these are my 38 loads I use in both rifle and pistol.  Works good for me.

45 Colt cal. loads, 205 gr. bullet, 6 gr. 700X,  45 ACP 200 gr. HB,  4.5 gr. 700X .

38-55 Load,  255 gr. RNFP bullets, 8.5 gr. 700X,  long Starline cases.

All my bullets are made by Bear Creek.

I bought two 15# Kegs of 700X from a friend for $75.00 just open the other keg last year, I'm sure it will out last me. I do find it a little dirty so you may be cleaning brass more often.

Rob  

2 minutes ago, LUTHER JUSTICE REGULATOR #5600 said:

Thanks to all that responded to my request.   It is much appreciated.   I have used Clay's for 20 years so changing is a bit of a challenge.  Again thanks for all your help.

I used Clays until I couldn't find it.

I bought 16# of 700x about 5 years ago.

I did not change my recipe and it hasn't failed me.

For .38 110, 125 and 157 I use 2.75gr of 700x.

It's a lite load. I guess I'm a gamer.

I also am cheap and so I get more cartridges per pound.

31 minutes ago, LUTHER JUSTICE REGULATOR #5600 said:

Thanks to all that responded to my request.   It is much appreciated.   I have used Clay's for 20 years so changing is a bit of a challenge.  Again thanks for all your help.

Use Clay Dot as you did Clays. Just readjust your measure as it is slightly fluffier. I have not experienced any cold weather issues with the loads I listed above. I use 14gr. With a gray wad and 7/8oz. #8 in AA or STS hulls for SG.

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Use Clay Dot as you did Clays. Just readjust your measure as it is slightly fluffier. I have not experienced any cold weather issues with the loads I listed above. I use 14gr. With a gray wad and 7/8oz. #8 in AA or STS hulls for SG.

I didn’t Have any problem when I changed from Clays to Clay Dot with my shotgun shells but he was asking about .38 Special and with that I did have to increase my load by 2 tenths. Maybe it’s just my guns?

Thanks

Randy

17 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I didn’t Have any problem when I changed from Clays to Clay Dot with my shotgun shells but he was asking about .38 Special and with that I did have to increase my load by 2 tenths. Maybe it’s just my guns?

Thanks

Randy

2 tenths from what to what?

Curious

On 6/29/2022 at 9:07 AM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I tried Clay Dot in cold weather and had to use 3.2gr. behind a 125gr. bullet. 3.0gr. would not consistently build enough pressure to reseat the primers. 

Randy

1 hour ago, Waimea said:

2 tenths from what to what?

Curious

Sorry it was in an earlier reply above, 3.0 which is what I use with Clays to 3.2 with Clay Dot to get primers to consistently reseat.

Randy 

Archived