SASS Wire Forum

I just wanted to share pictures of some magic

Last Call Saul

My daughter is a competitive Ballroom and Latin dancer.  She's been doing it since she was 5 years old (15 now) and as we started traveling and competing I started taking pictures, first with the phone, then it led to a more substantial hardware and skill development.  Eventually I started taking pictures of all the kids in the studio and became a defacto competition photographer

I can not call myself a true dance photographer, since I am 100% music deaf and can't dance even under a death threat. To be a pro in this field one needs to be able to hear the music and to have a dance background themselves, so they can predict the highlights of the movements.   I compensate by using high speed and going through one to two thousands of exposures to get a few good ones.

here are some of my better pictures showing these amazing kids who practice 20-30 hours a week, sometimes incuring injuries, bleed, hurt and still can't imagine their lives without dance:

the oldest kids on these are 16, the youngers are 12 :)

DSC_6583-Edit.jpg

DSC_6635-Edit.jpg

DSC_6668-Edit.jpg

DSC_7091-Edit.jpg

DSC_7138-Edit.jpg

DSC_7205-Edit.jpg

DSC_7304-Edit.jpg

DSC_7453-Edit.jpg

DSC_4327-Edit.jpg

DSC_4160-Edit.jpg

DSC_1757-Edit.jpg

DSC_4942-Edit.jpg

Fantastic photographs.
You have shown us that you truly have reached the "Professional" level.
Thank you for sharing.

14 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... they don't look old enough to be "touching whilst dancing" .... is this allowed ??  :o

;)

:P

Lol.  There are strict rules where "touching" can happen. And they apply both to adults and kids.  After 12 years old of age rules are the same as for adults.  The boys in this sport are most chivalrous I met and as a father of a girl I am not concerned at all.  The sensuality is there, especially with older kids but everything is in good taste and never vulgar.  But I see where it might look different from "American" point of view.  Europeans dominate the sport in US

When my daughter's partner accidentally touched my daughter in "no touch zone" during practice, the coach "exploded" on him!  These kids are pros. 

I also think that my daughter is at zero risk to make "bad decisions" based on "opposite sex curiosity"  :)

Nice! If I could bend like that I would still be in karate.

2 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Best of luck for her future as a dancer.

Thanks but I hope it will not happen :)  She is actually winding down now with school demands going up in HS, less time for practice and she is starting to loose her competitive edge and more doing it for fun... only a few make it in this sport and it is not a lavish life like other pro sports at all. she will be better off to go to college and get a life outside of the dance floor

My compliments on the beauty of your daughter, as all these dancers are gracious looking folks.

QUESTION:  In photo #3 from the top (girl in the purple dress)..... how did she get her foot to point backwards like that?

Thats an incredible position.

..........Widder

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

My compliments on the beauty of your daughter, as all these dancers are gracious looking folks.

QUESTION:  In photo #3 from the top (girl in the purple dress)..... how did she get her foot to point backwards like that?

Thats an incredible position.

..........Widder

this is one of the most difficult positions in waltz, unfortunately I was at the wrong angle and that's why the foot looks weird.  here is this position captured from different angle (this is the same event, same time I took the picture but from the actual Pro that worked the competition)

289263405_10220870856029795_370273690492992682_n.jpg

16 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

Btw, this is my daughter :)

DSC_7091-Edit.thumb.jpg.44c35b555dfbd3e94dde733ee7321f43.jpg

Must get her good looks from her mother. :P  My nephew took up dance in college as an elective.  Got his degree, I forget in what, then went back to get a law degree.  He now has his own Arthur Murray studio where he teaches dance.    He and his wife used to dance competitively.  Good luck to your daughter.  Seems you taught her right.

1 hour ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Must get her good looks from her mother. :P  My nephew took up dance in college as an elective.  Got his degree, I forget in what, then went back to get a law degree.  He now has his own Arthur Murray studio where he teaches dance.    He and his wife used to dance competitively.  Good luck to your daughter.  Seems you taught her right.

definetely not from me :).  Teaching, adjudicating and studio owning is probably the only way to make money for a professional ballroom dancers.  Arthur Murrey and Fred Astair chains are more of the social/fun dance clubs for adults.  My daughter studio is owned and coached by 2011 Latin World Champions couple and we have very prominent names coming out for camps and coaching sessions - Karina Smirnoff, Shirley Ballas and such... don't ask me how much it costs me :(  but kids work their butts off - real athletic, serious effort

here are some more pictures of my daughter from previous comps (yes, different partners - previous kid moved to FL)

Nash2021Logo-19.jpg

Nash2021Logo-21.jpg

DSC_1926-Edit.jpg

DSC_6119-Edit.jpg

2 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

Your daughter is beautiful, great photos btw.

I have a son at that age :wub:

well, we are neighbors practically.  we can talk :).  we probably shoot at the same club.  is that your alias?

My son and his wife are superb ballroom dancers.
OP, this is a wonderful gift for her.
If she can marry a man who dances, they will have a lifetime of wonderful times together.

Archived