SASS Wire Forum

Tumbling different caliber brass at the same time

I'm new to reloading straight-wall pistol caliber ammo.  I have a Frankford Quick-N-EZ vibratory tumbler.  Is tumbling different caliber cases simultaneously any problem?  For example, .357 Magnum and .45 Colt?  Will the smaller .357 brass wind up inside the larger .45 Colt cases (as some always do in my spent brass range bag), or does the vibration action keep them separate?  Thanks in advance.

ND

2 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I'm new to reloading straight-wall pistol caliber ammo.  I have a Frankford Quick-N-EZ vibratory tumbler.  Is tumbling different caliber cases simultaneously any problem?  For example, .357 Magnum and .45 Colt?  Will the smaller .357 brass wind up inside the larger .45 Colt cases (as some always do in my spent brass range bag), or does the vibration action keep them separate?  Thanks in advance.

ND

Yes, you'll find the .357 to be wedged in the .45 cases with enough media to make them hard to get out.

Randall

2 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

ND

They will wind up one inside the other. If you are using pins or ceramic media the cases can become locked so that you cannot separate them. Only tumble different calibers together if one does not fit inside the other.

And, don’t tumble nickel and brass together. The one time I did it the brass came out dull.  

Years ago I read that if you put the larger caliber in the tumbler first and let them get full of media, then add the  smaller caliber, that they won't "nest".  Sounds logical, right?  Tried it once.  WRONG!!  :wacko:

Howdy Tumblers (and tumblerettes),

I use a Lyman Vibratory tumbler with their corncob. Sometimes some 38s get in with the 45s. Some 38s will end up in the 45s. Mostly the 38s come right out, but when one gets a little stuck if can generally be wiggled out. Somewhat of a pain, never has been a big deal for me. I can't speak to other media or styles of tumbling. 

That's all I understand about what I know about that.

Rev. Chase

I was a commercial reloader for 18 years.

Only cas shooters.

At first my customers would bring me brass in mixed calibers all together.

It took so much time to separate the brass before cleaning I started charging for this service.

I also suggested that they separate their own brass at the range as they unload each gun.

10 rounds of revolver and 10 rounds of rifle.

Put the brass in separate containers while at your cart.

This is so much easier than separating 100 to 120 cases after the match.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I was a commercial reloader for 18 years.

Only cas shooters.

At first my customers would bring me brass in mixed calibers all together.

It took so much time to separate the brass before cleaning I started charging for this service.

I also suggested that they separate their own brass at the range as they unload each gun.

10 rounds of revolver and 10 rounds of rifle.

Put the brass in separate containers while at your cart.

This is so much easier than separating 100 to 120 cases after the match.

That's what we do as I shoot 45 and Ellie shoots 38. They definitely are like teenagers if you tumble them together. And can be like dogs when you try to separate them.:o

6 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Yes, you'll find the .357 to be wedged in the .45 cases with enough media to make them hard to get out.

Randall

and neither are thoroughly clean so have to go back in , it seems i always get a 38/357 in with my 45 brass at a shoot , its worth picking through before they go into the tumbler , even in the bag the little buggers seem to like to hide within each other , 

I use a large plastic dishpan with a hardware cloth tray I made on top.  I dump either tumbler onto it shake and check the brass for the first time.  I have a tumbler and a vibratory cleaner, so never mix brass except for the occasional accident.  Usually 9mm with .45 Auto, and inevitably seems to get jammed up. I have some little jewelry pliers with cone shaped jaws which will let me save both pieces of brass if I care to.  Both are calibers common enough that the problem goes in the bad brass can.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The hardest to find is the 45 Colt hiding in my 44 WCF

Actually, the .44-40 fits tightly into a .45 Colt case.  :P

GJ

8 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randall

You can do it. pulling apart and resorting is a pain. Much more efficient to tumble separately. I set timers on Alexa to know when to go out and change over  Even at today's electricity prices I would rather tumble 2 batches rather than sort and have to pull apart nested cases  YMMV

Sorry, I don't have a link, but I have seen commercially made plastic drum dividers of various shapes.  Try Googling "ammo brass tumbler divider" or something like it.  

If you try to make one DIY, DO NOT USE ABS plastic.  It will erode during tumbling and adhere annoyingly to your brass (don't ask how I know). 

33 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Sorry, I don't have a link, but I have seen commercially made plastic drum dividers of various shapes.  Try Googling "ammo brass tumbler divider" or something like it.  

If you try to make one DIY, DO NOT USE ABS plastic.  It will erode during tumbling and adhere annoyingly to your brass (don't ask how I know). 

BRASS SORTER

12 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Will the smaller .357 brass wind up inside the larger .45 Colt …

YES!

A few weeks ago, not intentionally, I got a 9mm casing mixed in with my 38 brass. I didn't see it and it slipped through. Got to the de-priming station on my 650 and I ran that sucker all the way up into the die. Took me forever to get that thing out. 

Moral: don't mix your brass when tumbling, it's bad enough doing this by accident. 

JEL

When you get one stuck inside another, you can use a kinetic bullet puller to separate them.

There really isn't much need to combine them.  It seems like you either have enough of one size to tumble or you don't.  It isn't like making another tumbler run costs a lot.   

So of course, we know not to do it.  On purpose.  But that occasional different piece of brass sneaks in and you don't find it until afterwards as you are getting that shiny brass ready to reload or whatever.  When you find it, you MUST RESIST the impulsive urge to pull them apart right there.  Because THEY WILL spill a little pile of walnut, etc all over whatever is below them.  Probably the (formerly) clean brass.

I always separate the brass by caliber. I also inspect it for splits/cracks before it ever goes into the tumbler. While doing that, I'll cull out the S & B and Amerc brass from the rest of it. When someone gives me "range brass", I inspect it the same way only I also am on the lookout for .22 brass that may have invaded the batch of brass. Decapping pins do not like .22 brass inside of the brass you are reloading. 

Purchase some extra decap pins BEFORE you need them...you can thank me later.B)

When any .38s get mixed in with my 38-40s that I miss before going in the tumbler - they will most likely end up embedded pretty good into a 38-40. 

Archived