SASS Wire Forum

Anybody use MPro7 to clean black powder guns?

Chantry

Just curious if I can use MPro7 to clean black powder guns without causing problems.

It doesn't seem to be a petroleum based cleaner

On edit:  I intend to use MPro7 on hard to get or troublesome spots, not as a regular cleaner

It's my go to for smokeless. I'll give it try for you on BP next week if it doesn't rain. I use 1.5 : 10 Balistol and water most of the time and follow up with a light coat of Eezox

No more flash rust after sitting in the safe for a week or so. I usually shoot ML every Wednesday OFWG at the neighbors

"Old farts with Guns" :)

I tried it once and it worked well.  However, it is more expensive than ordinary, water-based household cleaners that work really well too on black powder residue, so I save MPro7 for cleaning smokeless residue.  Wal*Mart All-Surface Cleaner with vinegar- 7-cents/oz.  MPro7 - ~$1/oz.

I've always heard that MPro7 and Hoppe's Elite were the same.  I have tried both and can't tell the difference other than the price.  Maybe an alternative if you can't find Mpro7 or looking for a cheaper product.  Hoppe's does have a nice Military discount program though VistaOutdoors!

Totes

I been shooting black for years and tried about every cleaner. One day I just used hot tap water. Guess what I use exclusively now. Hot tap water, I don’t even add dish soap anymore and they get as clean as with any other method and the hot water dries out quickly and completely. I lube with a little bore butter and Rem-oil or Ballistol or CLP etc, etc. In other words whatever I have handy. So much for the “don’t use petroleum based lube” malarky. Also I don’t bother cleaning the nitro residue before shooting BP in the same guns, so much for that BS also. 

A good friend of mine is a Civil War competitive shooter (NSSA).  For years he was using water or Moose Milk like concoctions.  The last few years, however, he and a number of other BP shooters have switched to Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine.  He was told the formula is what the military used to clean the big guns on WW II battleships.  He swears by the stuff.  Check the link below:

Butch's Bore Shine Black Powder Bore Cleaning Solvent 8oz Liquid (midwayusa.com) 

2 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Much cheaper than marrying one!:D

Reminds me of a single-panel cartoon I saw many years ago.  A family was visiting the mom in her hospital room.  One of the kids says "Daddy got us a new dishwasher.  She's French!"

I use TC Bore Butter in the barrel, cylinder chambers, and the cylinder pin/arbor. The other lubes I mentioned are for the nooks and crannies and wearing surfaces like hammer,  bolt, hand/pawl, etc.

No - make it easy on yourself. Hot (not too hot) water, run a rod with swab down the barrel, wipe away BP residue elsewhere, dry via wiping and/or air hose, apply Balistol in bore, internals, surface and wherever, and wipe excess. Done.

So easy a caveman can do it.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My SASS guns get cleaned with Balistol/water mix. 

I do use Mpro7 on the Bore pigs for my 50/90 between shots. 

The salts formed by black powder are soluble in water.  They are not soluble in petroleum products.   Hot water with a squirt of dish soap and a little scrubbing works well and is cheap.  Clean it up afterwards with plane hot (even boiling) water and apply your favorite rust preventive as soon as it’s dry.

I don’t know if M Pro 7 is water based or not.  If it’s not, it probably won’t work well.

Moose milk for most BP cleaning as it leaves behind the oil.  I have used MPRO7 in the shotgun and capgun sometimes followed by oil just because.

Seemed when I used Bore butter in my ML bore, when I'd run a dry patch down before shooting again, there would be light rust on the patch. Comes out with a slight brown now with Eezox, not the orange rust color. I think the bore butter wasn't quite getting in the corners of the rifling.  Just a guess. I use Windex/ vinegar at matches for my Plainsman guns.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:20 AM, Chantry said:

Just curious if I can use MPro7 to clean black powder guns without causing problems.

It doesn't seem to be a petroleum based cleaner

On edit:  I intend to use MPro7 on hard to get or troublesome spots, not as a regular cleaner

I gave it a try for ya. No definitive opinion. It worked, but I didn't think any better than my 10:1 water/ Balistol does. Give it try and see what you think. Water is certainly cheaper!

44 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I gave it a try for ya. No definitive opinion. It worked, but I didn't think any better than my 10:1 water/ Balistol does. Give it try and see what you think. Water is certainly cheaper!

Water is, I only expect to use MPro7 for hard to get spots or recurring rust spots

7 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Water is, I only expect to use MPro7 for hard to get spots or recurring rust spots

Eezox is good for that as well.

Archived