SASS Wire Forum

1866 Modification

Bo Bender

Early Navy Arms 1866's had the lever safety, that's based on what I have read and the fact that my old Navy Arms 1866 has a lever safety.

Downside is that many of the parts of those old Navy Arms rifles do NOT fit in the modern 1866 & 1873 rifles.

In practice, it ain't gonna happen.  The early Uberti 1866s had a "hollow" wrist section where the '73esque safety bar went.  Newer built (last 20 years) 1866s have a solid wrist section only milled to provide a raceway for the hammer.  I would suppose if you could afford to just throw money at it, it "could" be done.  Maybe.  Very Doubtful.

In direct answer to your question:  Not to my Knowledge.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Since it seems to be a definite problem for you, other than lots of work on technique the best answer might be replacing your '66 with another '73.

Thought about it but I have a SS kit and PGW springs, I love everything about the gun except I can’t run it as fast as the 73. Plus I like tinkering with guns that’s why I wanted to try the trigger stop just looking for tips from someone who’s done it

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

Early Navy Arms 1866's had the lever safety, that's based on what I have read and the fact that my old Navy Arms 1866 has a lever safety.

Downside is that many of the parts of those old Navy Arms rifles do NOT fit in the modern 1866 & 1873 rifles.

That’s what I have, an old Navy Arms 66, PGW wouldn’t touch it for an action job. I took my time and got a PGW SS kit and springs to work in it, now if I can get trigger stop in it life would be grand. I have the gun “antiqued” just how I like it and too much money into it to sell. Just looking for tips from anyone that’s done it or knows someone that has. I may shoot it this Saturday at Ledyard, maybe it will help me slow down, too many misses at Lincoln last Sunday

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

Ah So.  Your early Navy Arms has entirely different dimensions of action parts, than the new build guns.  Once Uberti "supersedes" or "enhances" a particular product, they no longer support the old version for parts.  The only source of parts for your rifle would be to find someone with another rifle willing to donate for "parts."

The VERY early '66s were even more removed as far as parts compatibility.  I would be in agreement with Abilene.  You appear to be relying on the Trigger Block Safety of the '73 to keep you out of trouble.  With Abilene, I would suggest some serious work on muscle memory and technique.  Reliance on the trigger block safety is eventually reach out and bite ya.

Archived