SASS Wire Forum

Considering sale of Marlin 1895 Cowboy Rifle

Bison Bud

I have an original Marlin manufactured 1895 Cowboy in 45/70 that I am considering selling.  I hate to give it up, but it's been several years now since it's been out to the range and the wife wants all new flooring in the upstairs of the house.  Anyway, it has a lace-on recoil pad, octagon barrel, original rear sight with a Marbles front bead that has been lowered to get on target at 300 yards.  The gun is in great shape and I'd like to see it go to another cowboy shooter if possible.  Anyway, I am wondering what might be a fair price for an original Marlin, especially since Ruger is now making these guns again.  Thanks for any input you might provide!

$1275 - $1500 on recent completed Gunbroker auctions, plus shipping.

I had two, and sold one ten years ago for $860. The other one got an MVA Soule tang sight and a spirit level globe up front, and it's the Bee's Knee's for long range lever rifle cal. :)

Bud,

My computer acted a little funny when I sent that PM,  so its probably still floating around in space.

Anyhow, I basically stated the price similar to those listed above but I also wanted you to know that I recently bought

a REAL NICE ( like new, without the box) 1895 from TN Williams for $1100, although he was asking $1300.

Its also 45/70,  COWBOY with 26" octagon barrel.  

He and I deal a lot and trade guns so he gave me a good price on it.

Good luck.   Hope you are doing well.

..........Widder

5 minutes ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

Wow talk about inflation.  Wife paid 250 brand new for my Christmas gift a few years back.    36 years back 

Pretty sure the 1895CB wasn't even introduced until 2000 or 2001 (?).

23 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Pretty sure the 1895CB wasn't even introduced until 2000 or 2001 (?).

Maybe not the CB model but they did have a model with most of the same features.  My shoulder says no more way before that huge case is full of that heathen smokeless powder.   A soft 400 grain HP at 1700 -1800 is impressive and tend to vaporize close up prairie dogs.

Just fits right under your leg while on a pony...

Davidsons had 3 or 4 runs of 1895 models made by Marlin previously to the release of the Cowboy  26" barrel model. There was someone in Arizona advertising he had the new 26" cowboy model.. I called Marlin and talked to someone there who confirmed these new rifles.

I went to my local gunstore and asked if they could get me one of the new models. The counterman told me that this wasn't something new that this was one of the previous Davidson runs and they weren't available now. I told him I talked to Marlin the previous day. Finally I  asked him if I found one would they do the transfer.  He said yes. I ordered it from the Arizona outfit and they shipped it right away. Still shooting it.

Had a Davidson model 45-70 Marlin, 24" barrel, half octagon, half round, Great gun. Sold to a pard a few years back $900.00 old body can't take the recoil anymore.

Have a 336 Marlin in 38-55, was a 30-30, Marlin rebarrel for me, pistol grip stock, sent to Long Hunter had it case harden came out beautiful. Great shooter, light recoil, Love it.

Rob

Archived