SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 10/22

Lawdog Dago Dom

I have a standard model Ruger 10/22 that I bought brand new in 1978. Started using it in some Steel Challenge matches just for fun.

The gun is completely stock. I was thinking of a new, lighter bolt and/or a trigger assembly.

I like the classic look of the wood stock, so any improvements/additions would be strictly under the hood.

Gun runs reasonably well. Just a hiccup now and then which could be ammo or just fouling.

Looking of some SASS Wire pard experiences and suggestions.

Grazie!

LDD

I have a few that I use the upgraded Ruger trigger assembly in. I realize that the assembly is not the best but they all feel the same and pretty good (to me) and are definitely smoother than stock. Plus they were much cheaper than the Volquartzen that I really wanted. One is about a million years old (same as me :P) and could use a new barrel as the current one is pretty chewed up and after a lot of rounds down range is not as accurate as it once was. Of course that could also be me!

For everything I use them for as equipped from the factory has been pretty much what I needed.

Best advice is get ahold of Widder. Can't think of anyone who knows more about them and what can be done to them.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

2 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Ruger makes a drop in replacement trigger that is much lighter than factory.

The BX trigger can be clean and 2-3#.  Try to find a stocking store to test multiple in the package.  Keep the original trigger assembly if you plan to upgrade again, many kits will not fit the BX trigger.

Round the rear bottom edge of the bolt so it cycles smoother when resetting the hammer.  Polish the interior of the receiver if it hasn't worn smooth.  Replace the guide rod spring if yours has gone weak.  The Kidd guide rod is smooth but has an obviously not stock handle.  

Better yet, send the barreled action to Conneticut Precision Chambering for a full tune up minus the bolt jeweling.  It'll look bone stock and run like grandma's sewing machine.

Avoid extended capacity magazines that do not have steel feed lips. Magazines with plastic lips always seem to be the ones with feeding issues 

For Rimfire Steel Challenge I bought 5 Double Kross magazines from Tandem Kross.  They are two BX style magazines mated together. Each holds 10 rounds. They also make a Triple Kross.

Buy the BX-10 tools from TK. They make it easy to disassemble and reassemble the BX-10 style magazines. All factory magazines have the spring tension set 1 turn too high. On mine when I clean them I put one and a quarter turns on the spring vice two and a quarter. They still are 100% reliable and are way easier to load.

You can fit 8 BX-10 or 4 of the Double Kross magazines in a Pelican 1020 MicroCase. The Double Kross fit like the case was made for them.

If you are thinking about shooting Rimfire challenge, a compensator is a good idea. It makes it WAY easier for a shot timer to pick up shots. 

Lawdog,

There is some good advice posted above.

The Ruger BX triggers are an improvement.

Getting a Volquartsen Trigger group is a bigger improvement

And getting a KIDD trigger group is about as good as it gets.     

As for Triggers, I've owned and used the BX, Volquartsen and KIDD.   And with the KIDD, I've used their standard model and their 2-stage model.

The Standard model will put a smile on your face with every pull of the trigger.   And although I love my 2-stage model, I would recommend you

get the Standard and save money cause you'll probably not feel the difference.

Barrels:   there are a lot of great aftermarket barrels.   Volquartsen, KIDD, Tandemcross, Green Mountain, Federsen, etc.........

The carbon fiber barrels are accurate and light.   Some of the best are Volquartsen and KIDD.

For an all steel barrel, they are all probably more accurate than what we can shoot them.    But I own, or have owned, the Volquartsen,

Kidd and Feddersen barrels and can vouch for their accuracy and are well made.

Receiver:   Again, the top 3 that I have experience with are Volquartsen, KIDD and Feddersen.

The KIDD is unique in that it is set up to put one of their Picatinny rails attached with YOUR preferred "MOA'.

The Feddersen is great because the picatinny is one piece with the receiver..... and their receivers are slick.  They appear to be 

heavier and heavily nickel'd.

BOLTS:   Volquartsen or KIDD.   I prefer the KIDD because of the various styles you can get.

My opinion, but if you go with anything Volquartsen or KIDD, you will have a rifle to be proud and will serve you very well.

Hope this helps.

..........Widder

Thank you everybody. Great details Widder!

I'd like to keep the old girl looking stock as much as possible, but have some slick stuff under the hood.

I saw a 10/22 that was completely modified inside and out. Looked like a Star Wars prototype. Very nice, but not my style.

There is so much good info on this post the only thing I will add is it all depends on how much you want to spend. 

You really can't go wrong with a good Green Mountain barrel, a BX trigger, and some lighter springs if you only want to spend around $150.

Want to step it up full spec then go with KIDD or Volquartsen and easily dump $1000.

IMO the FJFeddersen's have the best barrels and receivers, but they are expensive. 

I love building 10/22s they're so much fun.

My son, who's 7 now and just started shooting cowboy, started off shooting steel challenge when he was 5. I took a 10/22 charger and CNC machined a grip and stock for it to fit his little hands and arms. This pic was when I first built it, but it now has a KIDD trigger and 7' barrel with a, AAC Halcyon modular suppressor in the short configuration, and I Cerakoted the aluminum graphite black to match everything else.  

JEL784543232_AshtonsSC1022.thumb.jpg.0cbb37cfe31ce53eaa522fbd5d588793.jpg

Lawdog,

I understand about the 'looks'.    I like the normal stock design but I admit that I have BOYD's stocks on mine except

for one.  And that one has the Hogue overmolded rubber stock..... which is light and very well made.

There are sooooooooooo many good options available from very reputable vendors.   Good luck in your efforts.

The 10/22 is a great little rifle and fun to slick up and shoot........... and brag about.  :lol:

EDIT:  John E Law,   nice job.  Good looking rifle.

..........Widder

Nice lookin gun JEL.

Been looking at the Kidd stuff. And it ain't no kid stuff.

Going to blow through that original 1978 MSRP of $79.95 for the rifle.

Like to be the guy that shows up in a beat up old Impala, with a Corvette engine under the hood! :D

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Like to be the guy that shows up in a beat up old Impala, with a Corvette engine under the hood! :D

As I'm sure you know, that only works once.;)

I'll seize upon this thread to put in my own lament: I bought my first 10/22 two years ago, brand new. The several times I've shot it, it has almost never gone through one load without jamming. I've tried several brands of .22lr. Has this been a problem for others? Everybody always praises this rifle.

1 minute ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I'll seize upon this thread to put in my own lament: I bought my first 10/22 two years ago, brand new. The several times I've shot it, it has almost never gone through one load without jamming. I've tried several brands of .22lr. Has this been a problem for others? Everybody always praises this rifle.

Mine runs perfectly.  Often jams in .22's are caused by the mags.  Maybe get a quality aftermarket magazine and try it.  If that doesn't work, call Ruger.

I also have an older model 10/22. The greatest thing I have bought for it was a replacement Auto bolt release. Makes it so when the bolt is locked back, all you have to do it pull back on the bolt handle to release it. I heard the newer ones come that way now. My 10/22 has been dressed up many times with lots of different stuff over the years. I have actually taken most everything off it now. It looks fairly stock at this point. 

56 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What kind of ammo have you tried AND how many rounds have you put through it?

The fix may be running a couple hundred CCI Stingers or some other premium high velocity ammo to get the parts broken in. 

Red,

I've never experienced any common problem with my 10/22's, and I've owned a few.

BUT... there are some YouTube videos available that address certain types of jams in the 10/22 that might help you solve your issue.

I think one of the more common types of feeding jams is caused by the mag not seating correctly or securely.

.........Widder

6 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I bought a new plastic stocked model four years ago that had a bad magazine from the factory.  The salesman grabbed a new magazine from the shelf and it worked properly.  He said sometimes the plastic stock is too tight and the magazine is too big.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do you also need the adjustable sear?

Adjustable, are you referring to this sear?  No, I've done just the hammer kit and been happy for plinking/pest control use.  The hammer has a shorter shelf cut at a different angle, making it a shorter and lighter pull.  It isn't as good as a tg2000 drop in or Kidd 2 stage.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/818

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Adjustable, are you referring to this sear?  No, I've done just the hammer kit and been happy for plinking/pest control use.  The hammer has a shorter shelf cut at a different angle, making it a shorter and lighter pull.  It isn't as good as a tg2000 drop in or Kidd 2 stage.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/818

Thanks. I was reading up on your recommendation on other forums and a couple of folks mentioned having to install the Volquartsen “adjustable sear”. 

Sounds to me like that is $20 well spent. Thank you for the recommendation. :)

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered that hammer kit. I recently took my 10/22 to the range and marveled about how after over 30 years the trigger pull still sucks. :lol:
Well, it’s not that bad but it sure could be better. 
Perhaps, subconsciously, I am loathe to change parts out because I am fascinated that after so long and so many thousands of rounds down range the only parts that I have ever had to change were springs and sights. 
Fantastic little rifles. I should buy another. 

Howdy,

All Rugers are not created equal.....Chief AJ.

If you have made a reasonable effort to clean it and are using decent ammo

and tried a few different mags and still it regularly jams, its sure worth a call to Ruger.

If it is still on discard the carbine ring.

Take the stock off and tighten the screws holding on the barrel. Equal torque please.

Mine like to start jamming a bit after about 250 rounds.  Cleaning time.

Modern spray cleaners are wonderful. Use em.

Be aware that the screws holding on the scope mount are directly over the action.

Blue or the preferred Purple loc tite will really mess with the action.

Do not attempt to float the barrel. This just adds stress to the aluminum action and

helps to crack it.

There is a 2 to 7 redfield scope that can be had with a tactical reticle. You might like that.

Take care to not round off or damage the muzzle. Square is good. 

If I was only going to use one non Ruger part it would be a Beyer barrel.

Get a real good case.

Best

CR

..... sadly, although once readily available to us Antipodeans, these wonderful rifles are not allowed to us with "ordinary" shooters licences ..... because they are semi-automatic.

....... oddly enough, a shooter with a pistol licence can own a Ruger Charger, .... but don't put it in any sort of shoulder stock ..... against the rules of what's allowed ....   :(

...... yes it's weird, ...... but it's where I live and it's my home ......   :mellow:

Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor.

My Fiftieth  Anniversary Design Winner 10/22 would occasionally get a vexing double feed jam that was keeping me from completely loving that wonderful rifle. Nothing I tried seemed to work. Then I was on a 10/22 board, when an ol' gent wrote on how bad the Ruger extractor was. Well, a new extractor from Volquartsen was only about eleven bones... Wutdaheck. 

With the tiny part in hand, I could easily see the quality of Volquartsen's Exact Edge Extractor when compared to Ruger's stamped part.  Took me about 3 minutes to install it in the bolt. A quick trip to the range (like that ever happens) showed that I had solved the double-feed problem. All my 10/22s now sport a Volquartsen extractor. A new 10/22 gets one automatically.

Other items all of my 10/22s get: a ProMag bolt buffer rod (cheap), a Volquartsen bolt release to make shooting just that much more pleasant, a hex headed takedown bolt that I can torque to a constant value, and an extended  mag release that the trigger finger can work without breaking the master grip.  Those items, and a box of CCI Standards, are all you need. 

5 hours ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor.

My Fiftieth  Anniversary Design Winner 10/22 would occasionally get a vexing double feed jam that was keeping me from completely loving that wonderful rifle. Nothing I tried seemed to work. Then I was on a 10/22 board, when an ol' gent wrote on how bad the Ruger extractor was. Well, a new extractor from Volquartsen was only about eleven bones... Wutdaheck. 

With the tiny part in hand, I could easily see the quality of Volquartsen's Exact Edge Extractor when compared to Ruger's stamped part.  Took me about 3 minutes to install it in the bolt. A quick trip to the range (like that ever happens) showed that I had solved the double-feed problem. All my 10/22s now sport a Volquartsen extractor. A new 10/22 gets one automatically.

Other items all of my 10/22s get: a ProMag bolt buffer rod (cheap), a Volquartsen bolt release to make shooting just that much more pleasant, a hex headed takedown bolt that I can torque to a constant value, and an extended  mag release that the trigger finger can work without breaking the master grip.  Those items, and a box of CCI Standards, are all you need. 

I am curious. What exactly do you mean by “double feed”? 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am curious. What exactly do you mean by “double feed”? 

Yup, probably not the best description.

Most times the error presented itself as a fired case in the chamber, usually partially extracted, and a live round (with a damaged bullet) jamming the breech. The jams weren't too difficult to clear, but it seemed to mostly happen when I was on the clock (Appleseed). Except for that one time (on the clock) that I had to use a knife to pry out the fired case. 

Haven't seen a jam since I installed the Exact Edge Extractor.

Howdy,

I would appreciate pards adding price to their modifications..

I have never even heard of this rifle double feed jams.

Chief AJ kept costs in line by using Ruger parts and not running off

getting fancy parts.  The single exception being the barrel.

And stocks if the customer wanted.

He said some ruger barrels were wonderful accurate and others 

made great tomato stakes.

Best

CR

10 hours ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Yup, probably not the best description.

Most times the error presented itself as a fired case in the chamber, usually partially extracted, and a live round (with a damaged bullet) jamming the breech. The jams weren't too difficult to clear, but it seemed to mostly happen when I was on the clock (Appleseed). Except for that one time (on the clock) that I had to use a knife to pry out the fired case. 

Haven't seen a jam since I installed the Exact Edge Extractor.

Ah, I see. Failure to extract. 

On 6/29/2022 at 5:45 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ah, I see. Failure to extract. 

Yep, better. Thanks.

Archived