SASS Wire Forum

question for those using the Snakebite Greasewagon bullet with real black powder in their 38 or 357 Rifles

Good Evening:

I'm thinking about shooting my 357 1873 rifle more, but I want to use real black powder.

I have been using APP on the occasions that I shoot it, but I prefer real black.

I bought some Snakebite Greasewagon bullets to give it a try.
Tried it many years ago, but I was unhappy with the way the blowby fouled out the action, compared to my 44-40s.

My normal rifle load is a full case of 2Fg topped with a Mav-Dutchman BigLube bullet

I can normally go a 6-stage match, without fiddling with the gun at all

Anybody tried annealing their 38 special cases to minimize blowby?

Looking for other suggestions to keep the gun running.

Thanks in advance

--Dawg

Did you lube your own Snakebite bullets? What were they lubed with? They used to come with Thompsons BP or SPG.

I always found Thompsons to be too hard and did not lube the barrel enough. The SPG lubed ones were great.

Used nothing but GOEX in my '73 for over 15 years and had no problems.

Straight wall cases will have blow by no matter what you do but the SPG lubed Snakebite bullets are great

I have cast and used the Snakebite bullet for many years now but mainly in revolvers. I have started to use them a bit more often of late in a 73 19 inch short rifle. 38 Spl works fine with about 17 to 18 grains of 3fg. I used this load and annealed the brass but got the occasional hard extraction and moderate fouling in the action. I settled on using 357 brass unannealed with an overall length of 1.585 inches and 20-21 grains of 3fg. This length is beyond the crimp groove so a nice snug roll crimp is required.

Since the 357 brass fills the chamber I have experienced very little fouling. The rifle has run 5 and 6 stages without attention.

Use a good lube that gives a greasy star on the muzzle and yer off to the races! YMMV

21 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Switch to 3F for 38 special cases and see how it does. Be sure to have good compression and a tight crimp.

Yep, I shoot the Greasewagon with 3f. No problem for six stages. When Heather shoots we use the same rifle, still no problem with 12 stages. Good Luck:)

Looks like great advice -- I'll give 3Fg/lots of compression/tight crimp a try.

Thanks

--Dawg

Archived