SASS Wire Forum

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Press

Quiet Burp

For that kind of loading, I would look for a used Lee Turret press, just set your dies once and swap dies when ready. That's what I use for my lesser loading needs. Mount it on a 1x6 and clamp to the bench when I need it.

8 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

For that kind of loading, I would look for a used Lee Turret press, just set your dies once and swap dies when ready. That's what I use for my lesser loading needs. Mount it on a 1x6 and clamp to the bench when I need it.

The Lee Breech Lock uses an adapter that the die screws into. Then the adapter locks into the press with less than a quarter turn. Allows you to change dies without having to reset them every time. 

I have a Lee Breech Lock hand press that I use for 32 S&W short.  Clamp it into my armors vice at a 45 degree angle. Works great.

That press will be more than sufficient for what you want to do.

I would pick up a RCBS hand primer and prime the cases off the press. A lot less hassle than trying to set up the press mounted priming system. If you can find an the old style Lee hand primers they work great. The new ones with the folding plastic tray are not that good.

I use Imperial Sizing Wax on all my rifle calibers.

In my earlier post I said swap dies, I meant swap turrets holding set up dies. Guess I needed coffee!

I use the a Challenger breech lock press for low volume reloading, 10mm, 300 Savage, 30-06* & 350 Legend.  I also use it for developing loads & fixing cartridges I messed up on my XL650.  So, I buy 2 sets of dies for high volume cartridges, 380, 9mm, 38/357, 45 Colt, 45ACP, 223/5.56, 300BO, 308/7.62.

*44M & 30-06 until I gave a Lyman turret press & the dies.  I used the 44M dies to reload ammo for him.  He also acquired a 30-06 Winchester model 70 from his father in law's estate so I bought dies to reload for him.  I never used the dies & didn't have a 30-06 in my collection.  However, last year I bought a WWII production Garand from the CMP so I had to buy dies.  Last year the only Garand safe ammo was Turkish milsurp that I didn't trust based on internet comments about Turkish 8mm Mauser ammo breaking guns.  I bought a case of 8 match ammo from the CMP which was backordered for 3 months.  This delayed firing the Garand until the ammo was received.

In small amounts it'll hold up ok. I never cared for it personally. It takes bushings for the dies so just 1 more thing to buy. If I'm not mistaken it's aluminum so kinda questionable on how much you can cram on it without it tweaking. I'd add the little extra and get the classic cast if you're set on a single stage. It is cast steel and you have the option of using ⅞ or 1" die sets 

did look at Challenger and Classic Cast presses at Midway = the Classic is over twice the price

that being said I have two of the Classics

will totally agree the on-press priming system is not the best in the west

I hand prime when I load on the single stage

I use that breech lock style for all of my 45/70, 30-06, 308, etc loads and it works great. I shoot 500+ of 30-06 and 45/70 just for CAS/WB alone. Makes very consistent ammo, and lots of flexibility. Get one of the lee hand prime setups and you'll be off to the races.

• 2 months later...

Footnote:

I ended up buying the Lee Classic Cast press, when I saw it next to the Challenger in the gun store and for an extra bit of cash I thought I'd be happier with it.

Its a honking big piece of iron, I will never wear it out that's for sure. 

I bought the one that doesn't have the quick change gizmo. Liked the feel of just screwing the dies onto the cast body of the press. I know it takes longer, I sorta' find it therapeutic screwing in and taking out dies. 

Archived