SASS Wire Forum

Well, now, that was unexpected.

A friend gave me three DVDs of the best of Hee Haw, thirty minutes each.

I seem to have lost all semblance of good taste, sophistication, and humor.  Back in 1969 those shows were NOT funny!

Fifty three years later I almost laughed myself into a seizure.

I may watch them again in a day or two, just to see if this was some sort of a brain fade.

My dad would watch that show religiously. I watched as I became teenager as many of the women were sexy. My mom would complain about their use of push-up bras and fake lady parts. This of course made me watch more intently to see how she could tell they were fake! I never did figure it out.

18 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

A friend gave me three DVDs of the best of Hee Haw, thirty minutes each.

I seem to have lost all semblance of good taste, sophistication, and humor.  Back in 1969 those shows were NOT funny!

Fifty three years later I almost laughed myself into a seizure.

I may watch them again in a day or two, just to see if this was some sort of a brain fade.

Man, there IS no humor anymore.  Except among friends, I haven't heard a face to face joke in years.  When I was last at a business meeting, 16 years ago or so ago, a bunch of guys, work friends, were having some drinks and telling jokes.  A young woman new to the corporation drifted up, and "was offended" and that was that!

“Findercella slopped her dripper!”

Goober cames into Archie's general store looking for a 1" x 1" x 50 ft box.

Archie asked why he would want such a thing.

Goober said that his neighbor had moved and wanted Goober to mail him the water hose that he left behind.

5 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Goober cames into Archie's general store looking for a 1" x 1" x 50 ft box.

Archie asked why he would want such a thing.

Goober said that his neighbor had moved and wanted Goober to mail him the water hose that he left behind.

Guess he wasn't on a roll.

For a little background on this great show we watched as kids.

Snip-it_1656241713068.jpg.19cf9246a222934aabe4fa3d9c00f9bf.jpg

11 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

“Findercella slopped her dripper!”

Very few will probably remember this was from an Archie Campbell story.   The guy was a genius and very funny.

EDIT:  I think he related this story from 'Archie's BarberShop' segment.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Very few will probably remember this was from an Archie Campbell story.   The guy was a genius and very funny.

EDIT:  I think he related this story from 'Archie's BarberShop' segment.

..........Widder

RIGHT!!  For a while, folks tried to copy Archie’s reverse consonant trick.  Some of  ‘em got pretty good at it.  

A place I worked down in Georgia, all the guys took a hand at it. We all drove concrete trucks and used radios to meet schedules and make deliveries.  We all used Archie’s speach pattern over the radios.  It drove the dispatchers and the bosses NUTS!!

When I was a kid we moved around a lot. Every town we moved to and surrounding towns at some point I would jump in a phone booth and dial BR-549 to see who would answer. Some towns the 5 digit number wouldn’t work, but in others it did. The 3 digit exchange number must end in 2 for it to work. The cool thing was if you called from a pay phone and it didn’t work you got your dime back. 

In a small town in Arkansas I got connected to a hardware store. 
In Alabama a nice lady answered and when I explained I dialed BR-549 she got a big kick out that.
Sometimes it rang and I got no answer and in some nothing happened because you needed to dial the entire 7 digit number. 

Fun stuff. 

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I always liked the word play and the poking fun at the human condition.  Granted, some was very crude humor, but not blatantly vulgar.

4 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Junior Samples to LuLu Roman "Fer a fat girl you shore dont sweat much"

Imis

Ol’ Junior would be “canceled” in today’s climate for such a remark!!

The Political Correctness Police would probably destroy everything about him!! :angry: :rolleyes: :lol:

9 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Junior Samples to LuLu Roman "Fer a fat girl you shore dont sweat much"

Imis

Imis, I actually said that to my wife, Sharon, at church.  Sharon and I hadn't been married a year yet.

We were having a marriage enrichment course for a couple of nights at our little church in Langdon, ND.

One night it was just men in one class and women in another.

The men's instructor told us that before we went to bed we were to complement our wives on one thing.

During the break, I saw my young thin wife talking with some of the other women.

I walked up and said to my wife, "The instructor told me I was suppose to complement you tonight.  So here it is:

You don't sweat much for a fat lady!"

Sharon just rolled her eyes at me being so corny.

Some of the other, heavier ladies, were not at all amused. :angry:

2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Archie Campbell was a master of Spoonerisms.  He made then seem so easy and flawless.

Are we thinking of Spoonerisms by Russ Spooner, radio personality and itinerant disc jockey?

William Archibald Spooner, Oxford don and ordained minister who made the spoonerisms famous.

I'm a great fan and really poor practitioner of Spooner and his 'isms.

Life is just a cherr of bowlies.  My dog likes jerk ducky.  Bright tailed and bushy eyed, etdangcetera.

Archived