SASS Wire Forum

? Large pistol primers (reloading)

So. I’ve been trying to acquire large pistol primers for well over 3 years and have had no luck. Every time I get a notification I’m to late.  Hughes net tends to be slow. 

Anywho, this morning I got a notice from Natchez. I went to the sight, put them in my cart and couldn’t check out. Tried for at least an hour before giving up.

An hour ago my buddy that own the LGS called and had large magnum pistol primers. I reserved 2000.  I’ve used them before and never noticed a difference. I shot black powder and substitutes. 

Question: is there anything I need to consider in my reloading. If I decide to load for my 1911, modern powder, will it make a difference? I’ve only used magnum primers for my 44-40 and 45 colt revolvers with black. 

I snagged a couple thousand Federal Magnum LPP two years ago. I do not see a difference in use. Mike Venturino recommends them for black powder rounds.

6 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I snagged a couple thousand Federal Magnum LPP two years ago. I do not see a difference in use. Mike Venturino recommends them for black powder rounds.

Have you ever met the guy?  I did and gave away his books.

41 minutes ago, Guns Goforth said:

I tried Natchez and had the same problem.  I don't  think I would try magnums in the 1911. Why don't you just buy some 45 acp brass that takes small primers?

I have used magnums in many different cartridges (for CAS) interchangeably with standard, no issues. At the (relatively) light loads we use no big deal. On the other hand if you want to tick off somebody show up at a WB match with spp 45’s when everyone else is using lpp. You haven’t lived until you try to reload a lpp into a spp pocket on some kind of progressive machine. :)

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I bought six bricks of Federal magnum LPP in 2020, just as things were going screwy.  Big box store.  It was the last primers they and the salesman said that no one wanted them.

I use them for .38-40, .44 Mag and .45 Colt cowboy loads.  I have used them in a Glock .45 ACP with mild loads with no issues.

YMMV!

1 hour ago, Guns Goforth said:

I tried Natchez and had the same problem.  I don't  think I would try magnums in the 1911. Why don't you just buy some 45 acp brass that takes small primers?

I’ve used small pistol primers in 45 acp. Don’t like the performance. Of course there are a lot of variables but my experience is to much inconsistency in performance. It’s why I’m asking you experienced professionals. Thanks for your input

I was shooting 45 colt in all my guns but when I saw that the supply of large pistol primers was getting choked off I moved to 38 sp so I could keep shooting. Otherwise I could see the end of the trail. As far as performance of small primers in the 45 acp I've had no problem with them pinging  metal targets and cycling the gun. I use federal primers and win 231 . I've never had anyone complain to me for using them . I sometimes end up with 44 special brass mixed in with my 45 colt and my press doesn't like that either.

IIRC the magnum primers bump load charts up about a grain over standard LPP. so like everybody said at mild load no big deal but wildcatting or max pressure loads watch out.

I typically end up with Winchester LPP that say on the box “for standard and magnum loads.”

If you aren’t running max loads magnums should be just fine. If you’re concerned load done rounds with magnum primers but reduce your powder by .1 or .2 grains. 
I do this with SPP vs SPMP. Also, if loading .357 with fast powder I will use SPP but bump the powder up by .1 grain and the loads feel and have the same accuracy as loads using magnum primers. 

Archived