SASS Wire Forum

Allergies. Getting old sucks

I don’t do a lot of posting, I’d really rather to meet and talk in person. That is becoming harder as I age.

I guess I just want to talk to kindred spirits

Some Background. Sorry if this is too long.

Other than sinus issue as a child I was pretty much allergy free like most of us. Flash forward to 1993, I returned from Korea and arrived at Fort Carson Colorado. Man was I happy, I had always wanted to get that assignment.  So, now I’m going thru the typical military reassignment in processing with probably a hundred other soldiers in the main post theatre. The Master Sergeant giving the in briefing remarks that if you never had allergies, you will. Ouch

First off is the adjustment to altitude. I was very fit and usually maxed out my PT test. That didn’t last. I nearly failed my first test on the run. Hard to handle because I was a daily runner. Running was my freedom and I experienced a clarity similar to riding my Harley.

so, I was assigned to the NCO Academy as a Master Instructor and Platoon Sergeant. My first trip to the field with students sent me to the hospital. My face swelled up, eyes nearly bulged to the point of not being able to see.  After extensive testing, suddenly I was allergic to at least 28 different things. To include dogs and cats. Heck, I was raising Labs for hunting.

2 years of shots, things got better.

2 weeks ago I got in the mood for one of my favorite meals. Clam Chowder. 5 hours later, I wake up and my tongue was swollen. The problem became progressive. Face swelled, throat and sinuses swelled. Lasted a good 10 hours. I’m stubborn and won’t go to the Doc unless the wife calls and ambulance. 

Recently got tested. Now I have developed a crap load of food allergies to include wheat, peanuts, shellfish and cod. That’s just to name a few of my favorites. 

Cant Ford beef, my pancreas doesn’t like pork, now fish allergies. Getting very tired of chicken everyday

ive had 2 shoulder replacement, knee surgery, right hand joint replacement, right hip replacement. I’m only 63 as of the 21st of the month. I’ve gone from over 220 pounds. 5’10”. Now I’m 5’8” and 155. Only bright side is I don’t eat much, therefore my grocery bill is adjusting for inflation lol

As of last week, my beautiful wife who is 66 and still working with special needs kids contracted covid because a caregiver was irresponsible with their care. Sad thing is he is a close friend and preacher but thinks covid is a joke. He isn’t feeling to good. He cares for 6 special needs men over 30. They all now have covid. He kept brining them to the center everyday even though he knew they had covid. Now the center may have to shut down because most of the caregivers and clients have covid. 

Rant off

yeah, I’m complaining. Getting old sucks! 

Hang in there TTT, we feel your pain, but you did get hit hard Pard.

2 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I trust that you saw an allergist, and they have you on a desensitization regimen.

I have to set an appointment. Right now I’m under quarantine because the wife has covid. So far I’ve tested negative but I hate having to live in another room.  Good thing is I’m spending more time in the wood shop getting projects done lol

Oh and wearing masks at home sucks. She sleeps with a CPAP and then wears a mask all day. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone

Hope y’all get through it all safely!

REMEMBER!!! Getting old beats HELL out of the alternative!!

1 hour ago, Bellatrix said:

Tell me about it, The worst thing about old age is that you can even trust a fart.

That my friend can be argued by my underwear. A fart is the last thing I can trust. Lol

Archived